Ella Fitzgerald "Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie!" Verve CD, audiophile quality, out there cheap!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

There has been a lot of Ella talk on the Forum recently, the Cole Porter reissue, etc. Ella Fitzgerald's greatest album to many people, including me, is a 1961 effort called "Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie!"

It's Ella with a jazz trio + electric guitar. It was recorded at Radio Recorders by Val Valentin and is out in the world in many forms. The old Verve LP is out there but with the sides being so long, the dynamics and bass/treble have been compromised on all cuttings of this album on vinyl.

In the world of digital the CHEAPEST CD is also the best version: The lowly Verve 1989 CD, mastered by Dennis Drake. It's Verve 835 646-2. It has 3 bonus tracks from an earlier rejected session on it. This is the ONLY version in digital that I can recommend, much better than the jacked up SACD. It essentially is a flat transfer of the stereo mix with no added compression and it's one of the best sounding (if not THE best sounding) recordings from the Golden Age. I just compared today to make sure.

The Classic Gold CD mastered by Bernie Grundman is also wonderful, but it's out of print and commands giant $$ so forget that one.

This 1989 Verve disk was part of the PolyGram "Vocal Classics" CD series.

The kicker? It's not an audiophile reissue for a hundred bucks, not even 50, not even 25, not even 15. It's probably out there for 4 dollars.

I first heard this album (first time I even saw it) was in the 1990s at Acoustic Image in Studio City. It was a demo CD there, on constant rotation. We would sit around and marvel at the sound. The detail was amazing, we could hear the spit in Ella's mouth during some songs (not a highlight for me but audiophiles love that sort of thing.) Now, if the mastering "brings out the spit" it's an automatic rejection for me but this disk is a neutral mastering, the spit is just there so that's cool. At any rate, I bought my own copy of it and have loved it ever since.

Why not get the same disk? It's easy to find and cheap. It's the best ELLA, the best SOUND, the best MUSICIANS and it's less than a Big Mac & Fries.

Make sure you get this 1989 version mastered by Dennis Drake, it's the ONLY one that is perfect. It's been in print for over 20 years, many copies still out there, some sealed, some used. An hour of the best Ella for not much money, amaze your friends, trust Steve.

Oh, and notice in CRY ME A RIVER where she seems to stumble while singing .."Remember all that you said..." She didn't stumble, she's singing to her ex Ray Brown: "Ray, remember all that you said..."

ella cover.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  2. Audjack

Audjack Forum Resident

Thats awesome steve :)

3. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

You know you can get 2 McDoubles and a large coke for $4?

But, I'd rather have this.

Thanks for the Heads Up.

hi_watt and longdist01 like this.
  4. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Watch those four bucks becoming one-step prices.

Thanks Steve, ordering one to play it and another one to keep it sealed for you know the reasons.

5. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Great introduction, now I'm curious about the story behind the artwork.

6. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

7. Steve Hoffman

Really? Last time I looked there were like 40 of them for under 5 bucks!

8. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

yep...bummer...word gets around fast LOL

Sneaky Pete and CrazyCatz like this.
  9. rickjuh

rickjuh Forum Resident

Out of print it seems

10. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  11. Audjack

Audjack Forum Resident

12. Steve Hoffman

On Amazon I see: 18 used starting at 49 cents, 20 new from $7.38...

13. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

My error, apparently...I was looking at the listing specifically mentioning the 1989 release date...I humbly ask forgiveness for panicking too quickly...

I see a corrected Amazon link above...:hide:

14. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I thought you were selling a copy for 4 bucks. I was going to go for it!

15. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

But, are they Kosher?

16. lpfreak1170

lpfreak1170 Senior Member

I'll grab a like new one for 6 bucks...thanks for the heads up, Steve!

17. DawnBTVS

DawnBTVS Forum Resident

Very excited to check this out. Picked up a Used version for $4.99 in Good condition.

18. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Well that turned out to be the charity shop find of the year! I must have picked it up about six months ago, it's still in my 'to listen to' pile...

I paid £1 for it!

CrazyCatz, Robert C and BeatlesBop like this.
  19. teag

teag Forum Resident

I am listening to this CD right now after reading Steve's post. One of several I bought when getting into Ella's catalog 15 years or so ago. Very, very nice. It is clear from the 1st song that this is a sonic marvel. Perfect blend of the piano, bass, drum and Ella's fine vocal.

20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I have the Classic Compact 24 Karat disc. This one sounds good me, but I never listened to another version again... incl. the SACD.

21. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I like my SACD of this title but I might pick one of these up just to compare.

22. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Mine came to £4.08 with the p&p when I bought it on Amazon.co.uk, in May this year. :righton: I'd been looking on this forum at what other albums people were recommending by her, to add to my collection... I could see this was the very one that I had to go for next. :agree:

Man at C&A likes this.
  23. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

Thanks Steve! I actually have this copy and am spinning it now. A fine example of when CD is done right, it can sound heavenly.

24. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Thanks for the heads up Steve! I found a sealed copy on Amazon for under $10. I almost never buy CDs anymore, but since this is a unique mastering and is OOP, I figured it was worth spending a Hamilton on it.

25. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I have the 1998 Japanese XRCD which sounds fabulous and can be had on Ebay new and sealed for $16. I also have the Classic Records vinyl pressing on Clarity vinyl. Also outstanding, and it sounds identical to the XRCD. I'll definitely have to pick up the 1989 Drake version to compare.

I received my copy of the Analog Spark SACD of the Cole Porter Songbook yesterday, sounded very nice indeed!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016