Ella Fitzgerald "Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie!" Verve CD, audiophile quality, out there cheap!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 7, 2016.

1. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

1999. That's the one I have. :doh:

Well, the booklet is nice...

2. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Our host recommended this disc a while back and I picked it up. Highly recommended. Where is Dennis Drake these days?

3. teag

teag Forum Resident

Too late for me to edit the above but the Duke Songbook is actually 3 discs, not 2 as I typed above.

Listening to Disc 1, this sounds pretty nice. Not as good as Clap Hands, but very nice. Ell's voice is presented very well.

4. teag

teag Forum Resident

On a bit of an Ella binge now and looked for threads on Porgy and Bess. Nothing open for posts sooooo:

I listened to the first half of the 2008 Verve Porgy and Bess CD as remastered by Kevin Reeves. I've never heard the Dennis Drake remaster, but the Reeves version sounds really good. I compared it to the Robert Ludwig LP reissue and the CD has much more dynamic range (and I usually do not prefer CDs to LPs, although I have 2000!). What a performance by Ella and Louis.

Anyone heard the Drake version of P&B?

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

There are three mixes of that sucker. The remix (incomplete, sadly) sounds pretty good. The original Radio Recorders stereo mix sounds dreadful, drenched in needless reverb. The mono original mix is the best.

teag likes this.
  6. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Well today at work has been long and arduous - I only got home an hour ago - so guess what has just been spun in it's entirety?

Well, I have to say, it's nice to be reminded why my CD player won so many awards - it's almost like it's thanking me for putting a really decent CD in it for once where it can really show what it can do!

Not only is the SQ stunning but what an album - even the bonus tracks are sublime...

Probably, no, most definitely the best £1 I ever spent!

7. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I wish I could go back in time and prevent the birth of the guy who invented reverb.

8. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I like reverb when used properly - it's a nice thing

I'd rather prevent the birth of the guy who invented the abomination that is auto-tune.

9. Turmatic

Turmatic Forum Resident

I believe he is right here....

Dennis Drake's Music Lab »

10. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

I just checked my CDs, I forgot that I have the Gold BG mastered version.
    Giant dollars? :goodie:

11. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

I believe "Ella and Louis Again" was also mastered by Dennis Drake. Wonderful CD! Both the music and SQ are superior to the first Ella and Louis record, which I don't think was mastered by Drake (going from memory here).

12. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

13. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

You didn't mention this, but I assume you know that the XRCD is the Drake/Verve mastering.

Robert C likes this.
  14. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

They sound nothing like each other. It's a night-and-day difference.

15. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That's the one I own. Have not heard the standard release.

A wonderful, fabulous album.

16. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

I'll have to seek out the conventional CD! The XRCD is absolutely fabulous sounding.

17. Steve Hoffman

Yes, it's amazing that Classic Records could make a Gold CD so totally faithful to the sound of the era but fail so many times at doing the same for LP reissues. Same engineer!

rxcory likes this.
  18. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

There's an analogue productions 45 rpm of this title FYI

19. Interesting...I see that the hi-res PCM version available at both HDtracks and Acoustic Sounds is listed with a 1989 copyright and includes the extra tracks (unlike the SACD). I would think that 1989 would be a bit too early for Drake to have first remastered to 24/96 and then converted that to Redbook, but...?

20. teag

teag Forum Resident

Yes, Ella and Louis Again was also remastered by Dennis Drake and sounds good. That much I agree with.
    However, I also have the first Ella and Louis on single layer SACD which came out in 2002, remastered by Kevin Reeves. This disc sounds absolutely fabulous -one of the best in my collection. Way better than the Drake remaster of "Again". As for the content, I am amazed that anyone would consider "Again" superior, but to each their own - no one is right or wrong, it's just a matter of what one likes.

Note: I find the single layer SACDs that came out in the early 2000's to sound better than hybrids for some reason. For example, the single layer SACD of Getz/Gilbert, also remastered by Kevin Reeves has a really lush, beautiful sound. These 2 SACDs rival, if not better, the AP 45 RPM vinyl put out a few years ago. Maybe Kevin Reeves is quite underrated!

21. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

I was referring to the standard CD releases not special masterings.

22. teag

teag Forum Resident

Try it, you'll like it!

basie-fan likes this.
  23. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

picked up a copy of this for 6 quid, which arrived this morning. listening now. wow! amazing stuff!

many thanks for the heads up

24. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Nice.

25. Steve Hoffman

Great, you're welcome!