Ella Fitzgerald "Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie!" Verve CD, audiophile quality, out there cheap!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Turmatic

Turmatic Forum Resident

johnaltman likes this.
  2. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

The Drake is becoming hard to find? That's hard to believe, there were hundreds floating around not that long ago.

johnaltman likes this.
  4. johnaltman

You shined a light on it.. from now on when there's something cheap and easy to find out there, message me personally about it before announcing it publicly please :p

BeatlesBop and Chazzbo13 like this.
  5. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Also, don't forget there is a CD-R version that is floating around. I got one and returned it. It is easy to miss that it is a CD-R if you don't look at it closely.

johnaltman likes this.
  6. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Thanks for this thread. Found one and only one on Discogs.

7. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

I still see these pop up at my friendly neighborhood record shop. They are out there. If people would quit bumping this thread and wait a few months more copies would surface! :laugh:

Malina and Sneaky Pete like this.
  8. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

Off topic slightly, but the CD "The Intimate Ella" was also mastered by Dennis Drake around the same time and also sounds great. It was previously (and subsequently) issued as "Let No Man Write My Epitaph." I have the Bernie Grundman mastered Classic Gold CD of that title, and this version sounds just as good. There are a bunch of them on Amazon for under $5, and since the Drake mastering was only issued under this title, you don't have to worry about getting the wrong one. It's a fantastic album, recorded the year before "Clap Hands Here Comes Charlie!" with just Paul Smith accompanying Ella on piano.

Ella Fitzgerald - Intimate Ella (duets w/pianist Paul Smith) - Amazon.com Music

rtalwani and Turmatic like this.
  9. johnaltman

Pick me up one! :agree:

10. johnaltman

and what's the visible difference to look for?

11. Reader

Reader Senior Member

The print on the inner hub, the color of the bottom side of the disc, the gloss of the silver on the top side. Take a CD-R and a regular CD and look at them side by side. They even feel different.

There is also "Exact Audio Copy" software that can be used. It will tell you if a disc is a CD-R or a regular CD. That is what I used for the Ella disc just to double check even though it was clear just by looking at it.

johnaltman likes this.
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've just looked for one and there are not many at all to buy from the UK. I've just found it for sale new from a European seller for £6.75. I have the old Dennis Drake mastered CDs of the Gershwin and Ellington songbooks and like them a lot, as well as some old Dinah Washington stuff mastered by him. I just hope I don't end up with a CD-R!

It looks right. One left if anybody here is quick enough!

Ella Fitzgerald - Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie! 42283564626 | eBay

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eB...=176984&pm=1&ds=0&t=1500126693928&cspheader=1

13. johnaltman

Can you tell me what the print should say?

14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've just received this CD. It was new, sealed and not a CD-R. Playing it now. I'm so often impressed by how beautifully recorded music from the 50s is recorded. This is a wonderful disc. I admit I had not heard of this album until I saw this thread. Thanks for the recommendation.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  15. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Is the remix the remaster by Drake?

16. Steve Hoffman

What record are we talking about here?

17. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

The Ella and Louis "Porgy & Bess" on CD.

18. Steve Hoffman

I don't know who remixed some of the songs, but I don't think it was DD.. Came out later.

19. Ninecats

Ninecats Forum Resident

I found a european '89 Drake version on discogs, about 4$ plus shipment, looking forward to compare this to the SACD version, which I think sounds pretty good.

20. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Just got this today. Excellent! Thank you!

basie-fan and Turmatic like this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

Glad you like it. Great, underrated album from the Golden Age.

22. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Since picking up "Clap Hands" because of this thread I have since acquired all the Ella by Drake songbook CDs for short dough. Great audiophile value. Thanks again for the insight. Now I just need a cool box to keep them in.

23. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I believe all of those Polygram Ella cd's from around 1990 are Dennis Drake. There's about a dozen of them.

floweringtoilet likes this.
  24. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Never noticed before but in Cry Me A River, second time around she seems to sing 'remember Ray remember all that you said'

Am I hearing that wrong? Assuming she meant ex husband Ray Brown, and if so seems like a very personal little aside and out of character?

25. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Yes, I noticed that too.