Ella Fitzgerald "Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie!" Verve CD, audiophile quality, out there cheap!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Go to the first post in this thread. Read the ninth (last) paragraph. Got it?

Man at C&A and rxcory like this.
  2. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

No wonder I remembered it.

3. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

just picked a new copy on amazon for about 20 bucks. too much?

4. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

I think it was $4 when this thread started, but that's show business.

rxcory likes this.
  5. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

I should have bought it when this thread first started. Tidal had it, and I added to it to my "favorites" playlist, but it's gone now. I guess they lost the rights :(

6. teag

teag Forum Resident

$4 on Amazon from other sellers.

7. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

It looks like those are all the reissues, though. But I could be wrong.

8. Helom

Helom Forum member

9. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Helom and Turmatic like this.
  10. Turmatic

Turmatic Forum Resident

basie-fan, Helom and rxcory like this.
  11. Helom

Helom Forum member

I just received a copy from Amazon that was listed "new" but was also listed as an import. I'm not thrilled with the condition of the case. I paid more than I probably should have but I wanted a new copy. Is there anyway you can tell me if this is legit? I don't want to open it unless I can confirm it's authentic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turmatic likes this.
  12. rxcory

Looks like the real deal to me, and yes, that's an EU pressing, so import is correct. Open in, look to see if it's the Drake mastering (which it looks like it is), pop that baby into your CD player, sit back and enjoy!

13. Helom

Helom Forum member

The booklet says it's the Drake version.

Were these distributed through Universal? That's what's printed on the inner portion of the disc. It feels suspiciously light weight, not unlike a cheap CD-R.

14. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

This is the one I have, Love it.

All that matters is how it sounds.
    I don't have my copy in front of me, but I think I remember mine was pressed in France. Some CDs/SACDs sounds closer to the digital master produced at the mastering studio (the source), depends on the pressing plant, glass mastering, quality of the polycarbonate etc. My copy is on the better side, I think.
    (MFSL UDC1 Jpn press was always king)

15. rxcory

You can tell if it's a pressed CD or a CD-R by looking at the matrix. Fortunately, the same Drake mastering was used in many countries over several years.

16. Helom

Helom Forum member

Thanks!

17. I bought my copy from Amazon and it looked exactly like the one photo'ed above but it was a CD-R so I returned it and ordered from a Marketplace seller. That one was also a CD-R so I returned it. In the end I found an almost new condition used copy from Discogs for the same price. Of course this one is the original correct 1989 silver printed CD. I am suspicious of the one Helom has. I think you need to check it carefully although my previous copies were so obviously CD-R's with a printed label on. I'm not paying £8 for a CD-R, whatever it is!

18. Helom

Helom Forum member

My copy has a Universal hologram on the matrix portion of the disc. That leads me to believe it's legit.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  19. So does the CD-R which is also legit. Is your copy a CD-R? AFAIK the only proper pressings of this title do not have a Universal logo, just a Verve one etc.

20. Helom

Helom Forum member

Why would any CD-R have a Universal logo?

21. Who knows but the face of your disc looks identical to the ones I sent back which were officially sanctioned CD-R run-off copies provided by legitimate online sellers. Flip your disc over and look very closely at it. The original CD's do not have that hazy background on the face side. They have the typical 80's mirror finish look.

22. Helom

Helom Forum member

Bottom of the disc.

[​IMG]

23. Looks okay! My copies looked identical to yours on the face side but when flipped over you could easily spot the bluish tint of a CD-R. There must actually be some legit silver disc reprints, after all! I don't recall if Discogs has such a listing for them?

Helom likes this.
  24. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Looks like a legitimate, new pressed in Europe disc to me. I also find that most newly produced discs nowadays seem suspiciously cheaper and lightweight compared to older ones. Sometimes I swear they don't sound as good either. I have gotten to the point where I usually prefer to buy an older used pressing of a disc in good condition than a cheaply produced new copy. I know people will say the mastering is the same and it doesn't matter, but I personally prefer older pressings.

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. Do you buy into the whole SHM thing then?