Elton John General Discussion And Random Thoughts Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tonyc, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

Quite possibly!

Seldom has so much talent resulted in such poor music..

Personnel involved in the making of Victim Of Love included:
    It must mark a low point in all their careers!

EddieT and Bobby Morrow like this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

OneStepBeyond and fredblue like this.
  3. sonnyrock

sonnyrock Forum Resident

Just a small point, but I seem to remember that Lady Samantha was a cassette only issue originally, in autumn 1974

4. fredblue

Playing the SHM-SACD of the Elton John album for the first time (Thank you Bobby!).. some observations..

straight off the bat, it's always struck me as being a warm and bass-y album and this version gives any other a good run for its' money, the bass is huge!!

the WG DJM CD of the EJ album has a lot of low end, the most of all the Elton DJMs, bar possibly the UK DJM of Don't Shoot Me which is ridiculous in places (High Flying Bird).. the Surround SACD of this album positively blows the walls out in places, The Cage is one in particular which has mega bass on the old 5.1 mix.. and that moog or whatever it is becomes positively thunderous as it swells at the end of the solo (which I thought must be exaggerated) but the bass on this 2011 DSD Flat transfer is absolutely immense too.. so I guess it must be inherent in the recording.

right, that's that out the way.. this is a bit of a mixed bag.. it's largely excellent and I doubt many would have a problem with it at all.. Border Song for example, never a sonic stunner, sounds the best I've ever heard it here..

however, piano is a bit recessed on certain tracks and generally lacks sparkle if anything.. vocals have greater emphasis on "esses" than I recall hearing before, though I have to confess I'm cranking this mother very loud (!) and maybe my speakers are too bright or the whole systems running out of steam, so I wouldn't want to condemn it outright for that.. at more regular listening levels it's not as bad but the over egged "S" sounds on his voice (and there's a lot of them) grate a bit.

oh and there's some dropout on Elton's vocal on Your Song.. and other tape damage crops up in The Cage.. but it's not awful and I'm guessing its the best they can get out of the tapes.

60 Years On is the original length intro of the UK DJM LP mix.. The Greatest Discovery is the regular (say cello, cello) version too.. all round it's very good bordering on excellent. I'm not sure it was worth £40 quid or whatever it was but if you see it for sensible money and you love the album, go for it, it's probably the best you'll ever hear it nowadays in stereo.

5. fredblue

Cassette and 8-track only originally yep, DJM re-released it on LP in 1980 :)

6. Bobby Morrow

I was tempted by this as you know. I just wish it was a better album! I had the SACD of Aja a few years ago, and I found that heavy on the 'esses'. Never owned a copy of the album before so don't know that's how it was recorded...

Every SACD I have only really works when cranked. It took me a couple of years to realise this, BTW! A Kind Of Magic, Breakfast In America, Reggatta De Blanc, and Physical, yes Olivia has a couple of SACDs, are all great fun, but only turned up LOUD!

fredblue likes this.
  7. fredblue

I wouldn't bother unless you see the EJ cheap.. the old WG DJM is so good (and I loooooove the older SACD for Greg Penny's wonderful 5.1 mix) that I almost wish I'd not bothered with the SHM!

I got the Platinum SHM of Aja, taken from the same 2010 DSD flat t/fer as the SACD and really loved it, to the point I'd never heard it sound so good (and I've got it just about every which way you can imagine.. US MCAD 37214 DIDX 55 ... German MCD 01745/DMCL 1745 .. UK JVC MCAD 37214 .. UK MCLD 19145 .. I'm guessing the SH mastering has to be in there somewhere!?) Don F's lispy vocals always had a bit of essing to them, though I hadn't noticed it so much on Aja, its such a smooth little number! I think I'll play it now :D

Oh yes! Crankadelica is the way forward! Though some of those Universal SHM's need cranking more than others.. I've got Platinum SHMs of Who's Next (needs less cranking but still sounds terrific) Stevie's Talking Book & Innervisions (a mild cranking), Marvin's What's Going On (very bass heavy but lovely), Aja, Breakfast In America (kicks the Blu-ray Audio's bum!) .. and SHM SACDs of EJ, GYBR, Stevie's Songs In The Key Of Chubb.. they're all great! I can see (hear) what the fuss is about, although I'm not totally sold on the two Elton SHM SACDs.. the Stevie Wonders in particular sound amazing.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  8. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

Pretty much the whole of The Wig Picture was awful. What was Sir-up to thinking that was a good one to put out? Poor old Charlie Morgan. 13 years in the tantrum hotseat and what an awful bunch of albums he played on, apart from Made In England.

9. Bobby Morrow

I'm unlikely to see the EJ SHM-SACD cheap, I think! I'm still in two minds about the GYBR one.. One one hand it's lively. On the other it's pretty bright! Not got the Blu ray.

Haven't got any Platinum SHM-CDs yet. I tend to go for the SACD if I can. The Police's Zenyatta Mondatta SACD is very good. Album's not so hot though, sadly! I've heard the Wonders are good. Only have SITKOL on remastered CD. They could have done a better job!

10. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

Ps. Finally bought a new hi fi. Only a DenonDM39dab but bloody ell it's made me hear things in the 400 CDs I haven't listened to for years. New speakers next month

11. fredblue

Lucky Charlie got to play on Leather Jackets too! Ha! Poor sod.. he played on all that sh!t and then he fires him! Weaved in England's the exception where Charlie's concerned yeah ;)

12. fredblue

GYBR's a bright-sounding album anyway.. the SHM-SACD is probably it at its most laid back.. possibly that or the MFSL CD or Ludwig's 2014 on the Blu-ray, all 3 are less filling-jangling than other versions. the DJM CDs not laid back fwiw, it's like the LPs = in your face!

Can of worms time.. I'd imagine only our pet cats and dogs could tell the difference between the SHM-SACDs and the Platinum SHM-CDs from the same masterings but that's for another thread altogether.. and I like SACD, don't get me wrong.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  13. fredblue

WHF love that little Denon..
    what speakers are you going to demo?

14. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I had this on LP. To me it sounded terrible.

Pat

15. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

Not sure yet. Maybe Q Acoustics. Maybe Tannoy.

fredblue likes this.
  16. fredblue

I never recommended it particularly or said it was any good.. it was just one of the LPs that got released in the period I was asked about after Blue Moves and before Jump Up! in this thread earlier.

The best sounding CD versions of most of those B-sides and outtakes is on the Rare Masters 2 CD set from '92.

I'm still waiting for Rare Masters 2, with all the singles and B-sides from 1977 onwards... :(

17. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

At least he played on the all time classic duet Slow Rivers

fredblue likes this.
  18. fredblue

Nice.. How about Monitor Audio? I'm a recent convert.. the level of detail these babies dish up is just mind-boggling.

19. fredblue

Blow Givers.

Oh how I detest that track.

EddieT likes this.
  20. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

Never heard of them - thanks for the recommendation, I'll give them a look/listen!

21. fredblue

WHF love love LOVE Monitor Audio.. I always resisted as their metal & ceramic tweeter & woofer arrangement had a reputation for being a bit too revealing/bordering on bright and I prefer a warm fuzzy sound.. but blow me down they're out and out fabulous, especially for the money.

So good in fact, I was so impressed I went and replaced my whole 5.1 system with them too (just the entry level range, the BX Bronze) I got BX5 floorstanders for the fronts, the matching BX Centre and BX2's at the rear.

Literally the proverbial "veil" has been lifted (I had Acoustic Energy's before, great speakers but far from flat, they had a big old bass hump and a severe 5db drop on anything over 5khz) the Monitor Audio's are not harsh or fatiguing at all (as a few naysayers had accused them over the years), they just have oodles and oodles of incredible detail and super lovely mid.

a nice pair of Monitor Audio BX2's (you can get them for around £200 if you shop around) partnered with your new Denon and you'll be in clover, I reckon :)

22. fredblue

WHF love love LOVE Monitor Audio.. I always resisted as their metal & ceramic tweeter & woofer arrangement had a reputation for being a bit too revealing/bordering on bright and I prefer a warm fuzzy sound.. but blow me down they're out and out fabulous, especially for the money.

So good in fact, I was so impressed I went and replaced my whole 5.1 system with them too (just the entry level range, the BX Bronze) I got BX5 floorstanders for the fronts, the matching BX Centre and BX2's at the rear.

Literally the proverbial "veil" has been lifted (I had Acoustic Energy's before, great speakers but far from flat, they had a big old bass hump and a severe 5db drop on anything over 5khz) the Monitor Audio's are not harsh or fatiguing at all (as a few naysayers had accused them over the years), they just have oodles and oodles of incredible detail and super lovely mid.

a nice pair of Monitor Audio BX2's (you can get them for around £200 if you shop around) partnered with your new Denon and you'll be in clover, I reckon :)

23. fredblue

WHF love love LOVE Monitor Audio.. I always resisted as their metal & ceramic tweeter & woofer arrangement had a reputation for being a bit too revealing/bordering on bright and I prefer a warm fuzzy sound.. but blow me down they're fabulous, especially for the money.

a nice pair of Monitor Audio BX2's partnered with your new Denon and you'll be in clover, I reckon :)

24. fredblue

WHF love love LOVE Monitor Audio.. I always resisted as their metal & ceramic tweeter & woofer arrangement had a reputation for being a bit too revealing/bordering on bright and I prefer a warm fuzzy sound.. but blow me down they're fabulous, especially for the money.

a nice pair of Monitor Audio BX2's partnered with your new Denon and you'll be in clover, I reckon :)

25. fredblue

Apologies for the multiple posts! I have no idea what the heck happened there?!? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.