Elton John General Discussion And Random Thoughts Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tonyc, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

That's a shame. If I recall, the DVD was just a track by track review by Elton & Bernie. The album only has 10 tracks but is one of the best of the 2000's from Elton. I don't know if it's true now, but this album got very cheap quite quickly so you hopefully won't have any trouble scoring another.

At least you have Honky and Madman! Side 1 on the latter is wonderful. Always loved Levon.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I consider him one of the great pop ronck songwriters and piano players, although I personally don't care for 99% of his output. The only things I have ever owned by him are the Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds and Philadelphia Freedom singles and Island Girl (on a KTel comp).

My favorite songs he has done are Your Song, Don't Go Breaking My Heart, Empty Garden, and Snookeroo.

3. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Correct - that's what the DVD is and it looks interesting. Might play that before I return the thing and possibly buy the CD offline - I'll see how much in my usual place. It'll whet my appetite for hearing the album. :D

4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I love BLUE MOVES.

5. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

Just for you!

6. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Me too!

7. Bobby Morrow

8. Bobby Morrow

9. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

So did she!

Splungeworthy likes this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

I should watch the DVD again. I whinge on about decent extras on special editions and then barely look or listen to them!

11. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I used to look specifically for DVDs (just talking about films here now) that were crammed with extras and if it was something I knew very well then I'd always watch the film with the commentary running and play it again without, a day or two later. If it had no commentary, I'd only buy it if it was dirt cheap.

12. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident Thread Starter

Elton named Lady Gaga godmother to his two adopted kids so yes.

13. tonyc

I finally got the "Million Dollar Piano" DVD. The 21 minute "Making Of" was really interesting showing the young Asian woman who designed the piano and then meeting Elton for the first time. Lots of groundbreaking technology involved. I wished I had seen the documentary before viewing the show in the theatre. I would have appreciated it more.

14. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

How's the PQ and AQ on the DVD? The Blu-ray looks and sounds superb! How great is his voice too?

15. fredblue

How's the PQ and AQ on the DVD? The Blu-ray looks and sounds superb! How great

16. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

I dreamt last night that "Blue Moves" had come out on 5.1.

I woke up just as I was loading the disc into my player. :(

I'm still running it through my head whether I'd have played "Idol" or "Between Seventeen and Twenty" first!

factory44 and fredblue like this.
  17. tonyc

I have not played the whole concert yet. But, my first impressions are that it is somehow improved over what was shown in my local theatre which was not as dynamic sounding as I was expecting it to be. I found a new copy on ebay for $7.50 so definitely worth that small investment.

fredblue likes this.
  18. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

The last interview I read with Elton he mentioned that he hadn't seen her for ages and was unable to get hold of her. When Elton had his children Lady Gaga was a huge global star, 20 years ago I suspect Madonna would have been asked to be godmother, today maybe (fill in your suggestion here)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  19. fredblue

I'm blue tonight,
    I'm red when I'm mad,
    I'm green when I'm jealous,
    Yellow when I'm sad,
    I guess I cannot have everything,
    So much has flown between the years
    When 5.1 was aplenty oh and there were EJ SACDs..

Nobby likes this.
  20. tonyc

Hercules has learned that Elton is planning to perform a series of special concerts in the US and UK in 2015. These shows will celebrate 40 years since the release of "Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy" and Elton is expected to play most songs from that signature album. Below you will find the unconfirmed draft set list that is currently under discussion. You can tell from its length that it will be shortened by the time of the concerts. Rehearsals are rumoured to take place in January 2015. While no exact dates and venues are known at this point in time, Madison Square Garden in New York and a venue in London are more or less confirmed.

Following is the draft set list for the "Captain Fantastic" shows in 2015:
    • Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy
    • Bitter Fingers
    • Tell Me When The Whistle Blows
    • Someone Saved My Life Tonight
    • (Gotta Get A) Meal Ticket
    • Better Off Dead
    • We All Fall In Love Sometimes
    • Curtains
    • Your Song (solo)
    • The One (solo)
    • Grey Seal
    • Where To Know St. Peter?
    • Ballad Of A Well-Known Gun
    • Take Me To The Pilot
    • High Flying Bird
    • Indian Sunset
    • I Don't Wanna Go On With You Like That
    • Blues Never Fade Away
    • The Bridge
    • Mona Lisas And Mad Hatters
    • Rocket Man
    • Come Down In Time
    • Harmony
    • All The Girls Love Alice
    • Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word
    • Empty Garden
    • Levon
    • Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
    • I'm Still Standing
    • The Bitch Is Back
    • Crocodile Rock
    • Believe
    • Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting
    • Funeral For A Friend
    • Love Lies Bleeding
    • Candle In The Wind

Todd W. and fredblue like this.
  21. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

I 110% agree with you on this. I was watching the "Black Piano" show recently. I could not believe how bad it was. He was probably 'trying' to sing, but it was beyond awful. I was embarrassed for him and myself for watching what I could. He's just a shell now and not a very good one.

22. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I agree also. I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread that these days he sounds like a pub singer, and I stand by that. Elton had a gorgeous younger voice and that's what I like to listen to.

23. tonyc

It is called "The Million Dollar Piano". The "Black Piano" sounds like something that will be rolled out at his funeral.

Tree of Life and fredblue like this.
  24. fredblue

"I had Little Richard
    and that black piano..
    give me that sweet Georgia peach
    and the boy from Tupelo..

tonyc likes this.
  25. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

I believe this has been dismissed as a hoax..but remains to be seen. Not sure where The Bridge would fit into a 2015 setlist. Looks like a bit of a re-hash of the last Capt Fantastic shows at MSG plus some MDP and some greatest hits. If he's definitely doing a Capt Fantastic anniversary tour next year I hope they can find a way to make Tower of Babel work. Maybe someone else could sing it for him?

Bobby Morrow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.