Elton John General Discussion And Random Thoughts Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tonyc, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

A lot of those 80s albums stalled in the teens/20s in the States. Hits, yes, they'd all have sold more than The Diving Board which peaked higher! However, just not enough to keep the old girl up there in the popularity stakes with the likes of Duran Duran, Wham and Culture Club.

fredblue likes this.
  2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Maybe we'll get a new Super Duper Deluxe version of GBYBR, this time with an added CD of modern cover versions or something.

3. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

well they're just the highlights from the second half of the set with the orchestra on the LP.. by which time he'd warmed up a bit and got the full tilt rockers out the way (barely..) check out the first half with the band, he was 'not a well budgie' (in his own words).. his voice is absolutely shot to ribbons for the first half of the LIA gig.. that "Tour De Force" absolutely knackered his voice forever more imho.. I can't stand to hear just about anything from 85/86 now (particularly 86.. and there are quite a few clips and boots about from that time ) without wincing at hearing the last of the loveliest bits of his vocal chords just shred with every gig..

4. fredblue

oh don't talk to me about that p.o.s..!

5. fredblue

Nicely summed up! Thanks Bobby! :)

my original point was a reissue of 2Lo40 anytime soon isn't on UMe's radar.. about as likely as a remastered CD of Leather Jackets, with or without bonuses (i.e. not very!) :hide:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

You know, perhaps I'm just 'quirky', but I'd quite like a remastered Leather Jackets, with or without bonuses.

What I would like to see with these (probably never arriving) deluxe editions is more video content. Elton always did everything he could to help his albums on their way so there must be tons of stuff out there that we've never even seen.

rstamberg, fredblue and ShawnMcCann like this.
  7. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident Thread Starter

I would actually enjoy a Pnau II with 80s tracks. Maybe it would help the public remember some of those forgotten hits.

fredblue likes this.
  8. fredblue

I secretly would love an LJ deluxe ed. too.. don't tell anyone though! ;)

He certainly did! The 'trouble' is most of the video gems came (understandably) after the well dried up.. or rather once the perceived Classic era was over.. so the chances (yet again) of official release of the 80's vids, at least until he's shuffled off, are virtually nil sadly..

still there's some lovely clips from 'the wilderness years'.. the promo clips for things like Are You Ready For Love, Donner Pour Donner and The Fox ("Visions") videos etc are - mostly - a hoot.. and even in the comeback mid-80's phase where he really threw himself into work with as much gusto as ever, things like the various edits of the "Who Wears These Shoes" video are really something else, every fan should get to see! the one where he's dolled up in a loud Hawaiian shirt and big old wig even presages his 90's bowl cut hairdo quite uncannily!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  9. fredblue

I imagine many fans would.. I was told the likelihood of a "Good Morning To The Night - Part 2" hinged on the success of Part 1.. and seeing as it went to Number 1 (in the UK at least) you'd think it'd have a fighting chance of happening.. but I've heard no more, so maybe it's gone onto the eternal backburner, like so many Elton projects that have either stalled or failed to see the light of day..!?

10. Bobby Morrow

Yes, little chance of a Leather Jackets DE. As far as I know, there was only ever one CD and LP issue. I'm amazed it's not more rare than it is. I know you managed to find a CD copy relatively easily a few months ago. The DVD would be great. It would start with the usual puff pieces with EJ saying it's his best album yet. He's never sang so well etc. Then the videos and any live stuff. Lastly, the DVD would feature later (about 6 months on) interviews with Elt saying it's his worst ever album and he was banishing it from his life!

I'm not terribly au fait with the Dame's visual side, so to speak. I've never seen the clips you mention. Oh, I could track them all down on YouTube, but wouldn't it be nice to have them neatly tucked away on DVD?

No offence to either Belinda Carlisle or Bananarama, but they've both had their back catalogue redone with the type of DE's we could only dream of for Elton. I mean, surely if they can do it for them....?

fredblue and PROG U.K. like this.
  11. fredblue

Here's the funny thing about these "also-ran" Elton albums.. actually they're not even that.. I'll just say the surprising thing about his least successful albums like LJ, Victim of Love, The Fox, RSB, etc is they've all sold well enough on the CD format to be re-pressed on CD and that's pre-remaster (hence you get the silk-screened Rocket logo CDs which are the 1st issue CDs and then re-issued later with silver-faced CDs) even LJ and VOL got this treatment.. and then they all bar LJ get reissued in remastered form at some stage.

My point is, people have been buying these things on CD in sufficient quantity for them to need re-pressing, including LJ which can be found on CD both with silk-screen Rocket/train label and without (with bare silver-face and black logotype).

Haha! Love it! Now that idea for a DVD you had wouldn't be too far fetched! During promo for LJ, Elton said in an interview it was his best album since Blue Moves.. and now of course he says it's the worst thing he's ever done!

I imagine Bananarama have had the care and attention lavished on them because of their wonderful record label that care about their artists! Universal could hardly give a toss about Elton, that's pretty clear!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  12. Bobby Morrow

Oh, sorry, I thought LJ had only had one CD pressing. Mine is the Rocket one you mentioned. You'd think Universal would be up for some remasters/DE's really. Artists of Elton's vintage rarely have huge selling new albums so any money to be made usually comes from the back catalogue. Perhaps they only think he's good for compilations?

I wish Elton would take some interest in getting these in motion. I know it's good that he looks ahead and focuses on what's to come, but even he must realise he's unlikely to best those old albums. Surely it's time for him to relax and look back on all he's done?

BTW, you mentioned awhile ago that Elton had dropped much of TDB from his live shows. Since then, has he spoke about what he thinks of the album now? I'd love to know!

13. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident Thread Starter

I went to Charlotte in June. It was the last time he played "Home Again". He also played "Ocean's Away" and continued to do so into Europe but that eventually got dropped, too. He starts a U.S. West Coast tour next week so it will be interesting if these two reappear or if "The Diving Board" is now forgotten.

Todd W. likes this.
  14. fredblue

That's just the W.G/PDO CD pressings of LJ, there were U.S. Geffen and Japanese pressings too.

You'd think so, definitely.. the handling of his back catalogue in the digital era has been, by and large, pretty half-hearted, especially since Gus died.. and I don't see any improvement in the immediate term (short of Elt croaking it, then just watch it get milked for all its worth).

You've hit the nail on the head, Universal do very much see him as a compilations artist.. which is fair enough as his albums have been mostly pretty uneven affairs over the years, even in his 70's heyday and the Hits are where it's at in his live shows etc. so that's the commercial bread and butter.

Very true, he hates looking back, so it's probably as much his fault as the labels' but I don't think Universal have pushed for it, if they did I'm sure Elton would say "whatever, do it, release it, I don't care!"

No idea about TDB but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he quietly drops any sniff of it from future setlists and ditches T.Bone altogether.. especially with CFATBDC 40th looming, if the rumours are true and EJ & Davey mean business it's no secret CF is the real fan favourite and doing a tour of it eclipses anything else.

Personally, I really wish he'd get Greg Penny back in and do one last slick poppy/uptempo album, have a big hit with it, then retire on a high and get Greg to handle a new series of reissues. He was the last Producer that really "got" Elton imho, the rest (with the possible exception of Pat Leonard, SFTWC is undeniably mostly excellent) were, for me, just caretakers.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

I've said this before, but I've no idea why Greg Penny wasn't used again after Made In England. Unless Elton blamed him for the relative failure of the project? Pat Leonard did a great job on SFTWC, not to mention lots of other stuff for different artists. So obviously it wouldn't crush me if he and Elton got together again. There were rumours earlier this year that Leonard was once more working with Madonna for her next album. I hope this is true as the old boot needs some serious sorting out after her atrocious MDNA album!

Your idea of Penny and EJ returning for one last dance does appeal to me. Though, as I say, with MIE not setting the world on fire maybe Greg is languishing on the 'black list' with poor old Gary Osbourne!

As far as new projects go, I'd be surprised to see T Bone get another shot. He'll either find some hip new producer or give one of the ones from his past another shout. Has he spoke of recording a new album again, or is he still sulking over TDB?

I'm terribly fond of CFATBDC, but don't think it has the connection in people's minds (especially non-devout Elton fans) that GYBR has. It's not known for a string of great singles. Still, although I personally don't want another edition, I'm sure it has the best chance of success out of his BC.

To think, they delayed the release of the 40th ann GYBR so it wouldn't 'clash' with new TDB album! Makes you wonder if putting them out together might have helped the latter somewhat? I doubt at this stage in Reg's career it would have hampered either album.

16. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

"Too Low For Zero" is an album I played the heck out in the summer of 1983. Bowie's "Let's Dance" was the other. Nice memories!

17. Bobby Morrow

Me too. In the summer of 1984 I played Elton's Breaking Hearts and Springsteen's Born In The USA. Great days indeed.

EddieT likes this.
  18. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I saw Elton John play In Colorado Springs a few years ago. He was awesome! It seemed especially fitting for him to put on such a solid performance in that particular city.

19. Bobby Morrow

These days he's One More Aero rather than One More Arrow!

20. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

I saw him in Stockholm last December and he did those two songs from the Diving Board. Both were very good performances and received a good response from the audience. You could tell that Elton himself enjoyed playing these new songs much more than some of the old hits that he is somewhat tired of doing - more passion and focus in the singing. Beats me why he is not including them anymore - they are no doubt up to the song writing standard you can expect from Elton.

21. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I believe LEATHER JACKETS got two pressings on CD in the U.S. -- once on Geffen Records in 1986 and again on MCA Records in 1992.

fredblue likes this.
  22. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Man, I just love Home Again. I couldn't get it off my brain for awhile. If you ever had to leave home for an extended time, it has a meaning. I did and it stuck with me. The song affected me in a good and sorrowful way. If that is even possible. I think it is classic Elton and would love to see that included on future set lists. Kind of like Sacrifice for me............ A shame it didn't get more air play.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  23. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

I just found out Fredblue is following me.

Er..help?

:D

Here's what I'm hoping for next year:

Capt Fantastic (all of it, including Tower of Babel and Writing)

Grow Some Funk
    Island Girl
    Have Mercy On The Criminal
    Where To Now St Peter
    Breaking Hearts (Ain't That Easy To Sing Anymore)

SNAFF
    I'm Still Standing
    Etc

fredblue likes this.
  24. fredblue

..so I gotta Yell Help.. doo doo doo doo doo doo..!

aww, shucks.. ;) I thought I'd follow some of the more frequent Elton posters on here just in case I missed any new Elt-related threads that pop up! :D

hmm.. "Babel" must be impossible for him to sing at all now I imagine..

he didn't do "Writing" 10 years ago sadly, it's a catchy little number..

"Funk" and "Criminal" he could probably just about pull off now.. I dunno, they're two of my faves I'm not sure he ever did justice live, even in the goldenballs days.. though iirc he did a surprisingly nice Have Mercy on the TBP tour?

(Edit..! Scrap the Have Mercy on TBP tour, it was Birmingham Arena 2002, it was generally very good whenever he did it that year from what I've heard but it was particularly good at that gig).

on a related tangent, I'd looooove to hear him try "Across The River Thames" in any CF-40 shows! What a song!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    EddieT likes this.
  25. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

Forgive a newbie if this has been discussed, but what's the deal with Elton's missing sibilants (ex "I'm still standing" comes out more like "I'm 'til 'tanding")? It seems this started a few years back when he pushes too hard into the mic. I'm not sure if this is to help save his voice, or what. I'll be seeing him next month in L.A., and from what I've heard in recent live recordings, his voice is sounding a bit stronger, but that missing sibilant can really be distracting.

Also, in reference to "Have Mercy on the Criminal", I read that Warren Haynes has been covering this song in recent Gov't Mule sets.

EddieT likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.