Elton John - Madman across the water

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dude111, Nov 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude Thread Starter

Im sorry for duplicate threads.. There is a thread for this album ON THIS BASE but its locked :(

Anyway........

I just got the cassette of this album and I love it! (Its the original 1971 UNI release (No dolby,etc))

Sounds goregous :)

I had a newer record several months ago of it .. It was a 1977 re-issue and I didnt like the sound really... (I got rid of it)..... This cassette is goregous and exactly how the music sounded when that album came out :)

I would say this is his BEST album!!

Any other fans of this fine album? (This was his last diverse album)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  2. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I like the album, maybe my favorite of his although I only own a few. I started with the CD remaster, then acquired an original MCA CD, and finally splurged for the Mobile Fidelity gold CD. It was pricy, I think around $50 or $60, but worth it and easily the best sounding version I have heard!

The MEZ and ShallowMemory like this.
  3. Dude111

Ya sometimes money isnt a big deal if ya really like something!!!

Good for you buddy :)

The MEZ and bruce2 like this.
  4. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Believe me I don't make a lot of money, but sometimes I can't resist buying the best version of an album I like. One of life's few pleasures.

thxphotog and Dude111 like this.
  5. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

I think it's his best album, closely followed by Captain Fantastic. The 2017 vinyl re-issue is really well done, best I've heard it. The latest 2018 vinyl reissue has inferior packaging but is still supposed to sound as good too. Tiny Dancer alone makes this an Elton "must have".

utopiarun and Newton John like this.
  6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Great album. Not my favorite of his, but close.

Chemguy likes this.
  7. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

I feel much of his 70's work runs so utterly close in greatness that it begs a completeness of listening few artists can claim.

painted8, The MEZ, skisdlimit and 7 others like this.
  8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Arguably his best album, although there are a few contenders.

RevUp64, klockwerk and Dude111 like this.
  9. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

It's been my favourite Elton album forever. That said, everything he released from 1970 to 1975 was brilliant and I can understand anyone who picks another of his classic albums as their favourite.

supermd, painted8, skisdlimit and 4 others like this.
  10. peteham

peteham Senior Member

The DJM cd sounds pretty sweet, and I like the SACD for the extended Razor Face. Elton is similar to The Beatles and Genesis for me as I can’t pick a favourite. But Madman is sublime.

Mooserfan likes this.
  11. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

12. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

It wasnt for me. Might need to revisit. Tiny dancer was the only song I really liked on it.

For me his best period was honky chateau>cpt fantastic
    interstingly, this period was when his live band was also used to record his studio albums.
    bass: dee murray
    drums:nigel olssen
    guitar: davey johnstone

After cpt fantastic he fired them? well, except davey.

painted8 likes this.
  13. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Very good album.

GYBR is still my fav.

Madman would be top 3 for sure.

14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

One of my favorite albums.

The only problem I have with it is Tiny Dancer is way too long. Shortened by 3 min, it'd be great but I get tired real fast of it in its almost 7 min running time. I feel it doesn't have the musical depth to warrant that long a running time. Harmony from GYBR? Yes! Way too short. But TD? Good song but too long and it hurts it in my eyes.

a customer likes this.
  15. Dude111

Indeed.... Not a bad song on it!!!

16. plugmeintosomething

plugmeintosomething Forum Resident

Love this album. Levon is probably a top 5 Elton song for me.

Scott S. likes this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Side 1 is great. Side 2 not so much so. I really hate Indian Sunset.

18. plugmeintosomething

Agree. I posted something similar in another thread. These days Elton is seen as a "singles" artist, but that's missing out on some great ALBUMS! He was untouchable in the early to mid '70's.

I probably listen to Tumbleweed and Don't Shoot the most.

19. plugmeintosomething

I don't hate that song, but it is one of my least favorites from this period. Too long.

20. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It kills the album for me. You know it’s there, lurking. Just waiting to ruin the flow of the album

21. Goggen

Goggen Forum Resident

Brilliant album!

The magnificent music just flows from Elton in this period. Some of the best music ever made IMO. Even Indian Sunset evolves to a mighty fine tune (after the intro).

yohalfprice likes this.
  22. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Yeah, it’s certainly one of Elton’s and Bernie’s high water marks. (Along with “Tiny Dancer” and “Levon”, he’s been performing “Indian Sunset” on his current tour.)

The original CD release of this was very good. If an LP version is under consideration, then an original DJM, DCC, or the recent Mercury reissue is the go to. Frankly, I can’t imagine a cassette bettering the good vinyl or CD reissues.

23. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

That’s my favorite on the album!

“All the Nasties” gets my vote as the lone clunker.

It’s a great album but the lack of true rockers on it diminishes it a little bit in my eyes as compared to his next few LPs. Thankfully he would ditch the heavy orchestrations for his next album and would only use them sparingly afterward.

a customer, Dude111 and daleyguy like this.
  24. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I would argue that this album is way more diverse, though not necessarily as good. But in terms of sound it definitely is; Madman is very streamlined in terms of sound all the way through, and makes for a very cohesive listen. Truly one of Elton's best. His best ballads (Tiny Dancer, Goodbye), his best country rockers (Razor Face, Rotten Peaches) and his finest big works (Levon, Indian Sunset, Holiday Inn, the title track) all under one roof. But all have a sound that is definitely of the album.

Sad somehow there was no room for this on the record... It really cooks:

Maybe would have fit better on Tumbleweed? Though same can be said for a handful of songs on Madman.

25. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

I bought this album when I was 12 , I made my own weekly charts back then and Indian sunset was #1 for a very long time , it actually made song of the year if I correctly - different strokes I guess

forthlin, Dude111 and Suncola like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.