Elton John to Be a Fixture in Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mudbone, Oct 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist Thread Starter

LAS VEGAS (AP) - Elton John promised the sequins will fly again when he kicks off a three-year gig at Caesars Palace in February.

"I cannot do this show anywhere else in the world except here," the entertainer said at a news conference Tuesday. "It's back to costume changes and Velcro."

The 56-year-old has signed a deal to perform 75 shows at The Colosseum at Caesars beginning February 2004, five times a week for five weeks a year in a deal reportedly worth more than $50 million.

John and hotel officials wouldn't confirm contract details.

"Let's just say, I'm very well paid," the entertainer joked.

Clad in purple sunglasses and a pinstriped suit, John described a production filled with an eclectic mix of songs and costumes, saying "there are not ostrich feathers, but there will be sequins flying around."

"The wild and wacky days are here again," said famed photographer David LaChappelle, the show's production designer, alluding to John's flamboyant stage shows of the past.

The Grammy-winner dismissed reports about throat problems, saying he canceled a recent event because of a minor medical procedure. To illustrate his health, John burst out singing, "My voice is fine."

Tickets for the performances were priced at $250, $175 and $100. The show is expected to generate $61 million in total ticket sales, Caesars Palace President Mark Juliano said.

The $95 million, 4,100-seat Colosseum was built for singer Celine Dion and her extravaganza "A New Day." It has hosted performances by Mariah Carey, Tim McGraw and Gloria Estefan. Comedian Jerry Seinfeld is scheduled in December.

John will perform his show, "The Red Piano," when Dion is on vacation from her three-year, $100 million contract.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Elton was "Vegas" way before this upcoming stint in Vegas!:laugh:
    One of my favorite artists:) Been a fan since his debut LP...Very fitting indeed!

3. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

Elton was BORN to play Vegas!

4. Tim Casey

Tim Casey Active Member

I guess you'd have to love the Vegas style to not consider it embarassing.....

5. SculptorD5

SculptorD5 Senior Member

The cheap seats are $100?? OUCH! Guess I'll cross that off my list of things to do.

Danny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.