Elton John Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Feb 15, 2017.

1. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

That's a really good point. The One and Made in England were pressed on vinyl, albeit for countries still pressing during that era. But technically they're out there. And everything after Big Picture is available - SFTWC (now), Peachtree was reissued with a LE vinyl version, Captain, and of course, everything since The Union.

I can't really see anything else being done from the 80s. They are doing two of the strongest albums. It would be nice if they'd do Made in England and The One, but it feels like this "10" number is a pretty finite.

2. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Using the acoustic guitar / string version was the right choice for the album - it was haunting and brought you in

The Ronson version has to be heard - and hopefully it makes a vinyl debut - a "the classic years" compilation perhaps?

Darrin Crawford likes this.
  3. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

In a very noisy pressing. Don't think there are any good copies out there; if there are, it's not many.

fredblue and Darrin Crawford like this.
  4. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I got into vinyl about a year ago. One of the first things I did was start collecting original pressings of Elton's classic streak. They're not all the preferred versions, but it was cool to have them.

I bought several copies of Tumbleweed and never found a truly great one. My reissue was delivered today. I can't wait!

e.s. likes this.
  5. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Thanks Sean, these pressings are phenomenal! 192khz is okay by me if it all sounded this good! :)

However, what does "LOL" mean? Some kind of cutting technique?

And if we can get super technical... which DAC did you use? It sounded amazing!

6. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

Please report back. I am aching to know how it sounds. Initially it was slated here in Canada for tomorrow but now it and Honky are moved up to next Friday.

CBackley likes this.
  7. teag

teag Forum Resident

Let us know how it sounds!

Did you get Honky also?

CBackley likes this.
  8. CBackley

I only got Tumbleweed. I'm hoping to listen tomorrow! It's too bad they didn't recreate the awesome textured gatefold sleeve from the original pressing though.

I had no idea these were coming out. As soon as I saw the news here and read the positive reviews, I was very excited. Some of the original pressings I bought last year have a bit of surface noise. I'm looking forward to replacing them with the reissues.

Alan2 and teag like this.
  9. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Would love The One and Made In England on vinyl.

Is the self titled album worth getting in this reissue series? I have a old USA issue with the UK mastering.

10. Darrin Crawford

I know about the surface noise. Bought a sealed UNI last year and OMG it was terrible...even new. Come Down In Time and Love Song were unbearable to listen to.
    Too bad about the non textured cover. Apparently s/t was textured within the Burberry box set but not on it's individual release a few months ago.
    Is the booklet attached to the gatefold?

CBackley likes this.
  11. CBackley

No. The booklet is inside the pocket on the right side of the gatefold.

12. Darrin Crawford

Sorry. So separate then??
    I wonder if Honky will have the flap on the rear cover

13. CBackley

The booklet is separate, stored inside the flap/pocket of the right side of the gatefold. It looks really nice though, even if it's different than the original.

14. teag

teag Forum Resident

The 2 I bought so far sound excellent! Madman and Captain.

15. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I can confirm the Burberry set version of s/t did have the textured stock with the slightly yellow hue. And the mass market version does not.

16. i'm not aware of the Mick Ronson disc

jon9091 likes this.
  17. laugh out loud....its very tech.

i had the use of a Meridian Ultra 2

Cassius, chris8519 and jon9091 like this.
  18. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

So, there are no bonus tracks on any of these? These are the albums as originally released?

Did Miles do some at 1/2 speed?

19. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Sean

Elton cut a very dynamic take on the Madman title song with Mick Ronson - it is spectacular
    It was deemed too hot to fit on the album

It surfaced with the Classic Years cd of Tumbleweed Connection in 2004 as a bonus track

I would love to see you get your hands on that for a rarities disc

Darrin Crawford and CBackley like this.
  20. They wouldn't have to ask me twice

21. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

Just listening to the 2014 Goodbye Yellow Brick Road vinyl which arrived this morning. I'd been prepared for a real disappointment given some of the comments but am actually very pleasantly surprised. Perhaps not as top notch as the recent rerelease of, say, Madman Across the Water, but it sounds good to me. Having only ever heard this on multiple CD releases over the years maybe that's to be expected.

Looking forward to receiving Tumbleweed in the next day or so.

srsch likes this.
  22. CBackley

That version of "Madman" is stellar. It was on the 1990's CD reissue of Tumbleweed.

Darrin Crawford and audiotom like this.
  23. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

Actually it appeared on the 'Rare Masters' compilation first from 1992. Then the Classic Years remasters from 1995.

fredblue and CBackley like this.
  24. Graham

Graham Senior Member

And on the 2008 2CD deluxe reissue as well. Great stuff.

25. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

So glad to see Sean getting proper respect in here. You're one of my fave cutters, man. Good stuff indeed.

stinsojd, Strat-Mangler and e.s. like this.