Elton John Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Feb 15, 2017.

1. teag

teag Forum Resident

As well as the 2004 SACD which sounds fantastic to me.

rstamberg likes this.
  2. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Just a heads-up for anyone who cares, but I received my Tumbleweed... and Honky Chateau LPs today and it looks like they've moved pressing from Optimal (Germany) to GZ in the Czech Republic. Still using poly-lined inners, and the vinyl at least looks quite nice. Proof is in the playing though, and I've been impressed by each of the previous issues pressed at Optimal--hope these are as high in quality.

3. teag

teag Forum Resident

:mad:

4. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I saw the "Made in the Czech Republic" sticker but didn't put 2 and 2 together. Crap.

5. kitt1987

kitt1987 Forum Resident

I can confirm I just got my copies of Honky and Tumbleweed and they are labeled as "Made in the Czech Republic." Something I noticed right off the bat at my record store but took the plunge in any case. The LPs look nice but again as they say the proof is in the pudding and will give them a listen later tonight.
    Looking forward to the rest of the reissues when they become available...interesting to me that they list the last release as coming mid-October....I would certainly hope to see at last a small handful of releases come out Nov/Dec. I guess I am just hopeful for Peachtree, The One, and Made in England.

6. teag

teag Forum Resident

Does Honky have the unique fold out cover like the original did?

7. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Well, there's always RSD Black Friday in November...

8. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've pre-ordered CARIBOU and'll order BLUE MOVES once it's up at Amazon.

9. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

No. Just a plain gatefold.

10. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I just did a shootout with the new pressing vs a MCA tan label of Tumbleweed. MCA has more presence and better bass. The new one has better top end clarity, but overall it's not worth the price difference between a second hand UNI or MCA. If I could on "tumble over" a 1st press U.K. (See what I did there?) yea....I'll keep my day job

11. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

You are dead right. The DVD has the shape of a concert to it. The CD album is not sequenced at all nicely. Nor does it have the right content for me. I would like them to go all out and do a proper effing release of a 1982 or 1984 show.

fredblue and tonyc like this.
  12. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

That's pretty disappointing considering how much these reissues cost. Makes me think twice about them. Blue Moves is a definite maybe for me though.

stever and fredblue like this.
  13. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

Slightly! I quite like bits of it too. It was one of the first EJ albums I listened too. Hoop Of Fire and Paris I am fond of.

Hitman2017 likes this.
  14. A Printing Production Mistake?

Something a bit odd about the two new EJ reissues of Tumbleweed Connection and Honky Chateau:

The Honky cover has a very lite leather textured surface similar to the original Tumbleweed cover of the 70s. The new Tumbleweed is smooth like the original Honky cover.

It's almost as if they switched and used the wrong paper stock on each of these by mistake. Like somebody switched them.

Anyone else notice ? Look at the new Honkey Chateau in an angle you'll see the texture.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    drwinstonoboogie likes this.
  15. CBackley

There's one issue with Tumbleweed: it doesn't have the version of "Where to Now, St. Peter?" from the original vinyl, with Elton's vocals double-tracked on the chorus. This is disappointing.

16. It's also on the compilation CD "Classic Elton John" that was available at McDonald's in 1994. I actually heard that version of Madman before the album version, because of this CD.

JeffMo likes this.
  17. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

Now I am wondering if spec
    Hey C...just curious..that sounds a bit interesting to me.
    I know you (or many of you) may be purists as I am but I do welcome some change as long as it makes it sound better. Having said that, in your objective opinion (besides it not being original) does it at least sound good over all?? I am talking that specific track of course. Also, how's the vinyl quality?? Quiet??
    I FINALLY picked up Madman and S/T this afternoon so I am very excited to listen. TC and HC won't be here in Ontario till next Friday..which is ok.
    I just sold my original UNI Tumbleweed (bought sealed last year) because the vinyl quality was just God awful. I was so upset. But hey..poo poo happens.
    In contrast my original UNI HC is absolutely STUNNING and ...for some reason incredibly quiet.
    I also got a (I am not exaggerating) a NM-M condition UNI Madman earlier this used for a ridiculously low price. The only flaw is a very small "ding" on the bottom of the cover and there are a few ticks during Tiny Dancer but overall it's just absolutely insane and I will not part with my Madman or HC.
    I am such a EJ fan I got Madman and will keep as a double. One thing I do notice with the Madman reissue without opening it yet (which is minor) is the spine font is much fancier on the UNI than the the plain font on the reissue.
    There was a guy at a record show this past March/April in Mississauga who was selling a NM (and it was) UK of Tumbleweed for $80 Cdn. I was sooo sooooooo tempted but this was before I knew these latest reissues were going to be available. That's the one thing I have learned from when I was a teenager and now re-collecting vinyl. Looks can definitely be deceiving and I have a feeling if I bought that UK yes it probably would have sounded good but I am sure it would have been grainy with surface noise and that becomes intrusive to songs like Come Down In Time and Love Song. Plus, I know everyone raves about the UK and I do trust but I have yet to hear anyone have a quiet copy. Yet, my original UNI 11-17-70 (sold that in favour of the +), Madman and HC are dead quiet. Maybe it was just a unique situation on that pressing of Tumbleweed.
    Anyway, I am going to crack open some wine and getting prepared to indulge in Madman and S/T.
    Will report back. Although, I probably don't have to as I trust (arguably) everyone's opinions here on reissues......yeah right!!

18. CBackley

Tumbleweed sounds very good overall, including "St. Peter." There was some noticeable inner groove distortion on "My Father's Gun," but that could just be my cartridge.

I'm disappointed by the lack of the double-tracked vocal version of "St. Peter" on this release. Ever since getting an original pressing of Tumbleweed, I've come to like that mix so much more than the one most people are now used to. If the original analog tapes were used for this remaster, I'm curious to learn more about the story behind "St. Peter."

Darrin Crawford likes this.
  19. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

I think the double tracked vocal you are referring to is on Love Song, not St Peter. My original Uni has no double tracked vocal on St. Peter.

20. CBackley

Nope, I'm thinking of "St. Peter." Check out this discussion and the other discussion linked to in it: Elton John-Where To Now, St. Peter?

21. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

I hear it now. It's more echoed than double tracked. Now trying to hear the extra guitar. Where is that?

22. teag

teag Forum Resident

Original DJM UK Honky had a leather like texture. Original UNI Honky in the US did not.

Darrin Crawford likes this.
  23. Did not know that.

24. teag

teag Forum Resident

Yeah, I found that after buying a DJM original. Recently I listened to that one and my UNI original and liked the UNI better! More dynamic.

How does the new one sound to you? Do you have a UNI original to compare it to?

25. Wish they had done that. I would have bought it just for a replica of the original artwork.