Elton John Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

the Sting ones actually make sense since his latter albums aren't easy to find on the format, so albums like Ten Summoner's Tales and Brand New Day make perfect sense getting reissued.

JeffMo and pghmusiclover like this.
  2. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

I wonder which reissue will move more vinyl units... Leather Jackets or the recent reissue of Styx's Kilroy Was Here?

mr.dave and Jrr like this.
  3. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

When I get mine. Hope they retain the textured cover and lyric booklet.

Sean, Christopher B and Chemguy like this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

A lot of those early Elton LPs were beautifully packaged. Hope this is replicated in the reissues.

Sean, Alan2, DesertHermit and 4 others like this.
  5. stever

stever Senior Member

That really IS scattershot. I'll buy s/t, Fantastic, GYBR and Madman though, even though I have UK originals. That is, if they're deemed necessary reissues.

6. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Which one are you referring to? There seems to be a bunch of GYBR vinyl reissues.

7. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The most current vinyl incarnation with the yellow vinyl.

8. jon9091

Oh yea, that was abysmal.
    Honestly... I'm afraid that this will probably be the exact same thing on black vinyl. The rest of these are all done by the same people.

9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...that's not very encouraging.

The Revealer likes this.
  10. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Agree - the original CD release was terrific; the remaster awful, so either a full, well-mastered record(s) or SACD please.

EddieT and Chemguy like this.
  11. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Bingo...

12. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Oh, I already have a few. I'm looking for what most of us are, of course: an analogue remaster from the original tapes.

Christopher B likes this.
  13. stickyfoods

stickyfoods Forum Resident

Are these release AAA? Does anybody know?

14. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

And the thrift stores after 50 years are still chock full of Herb Alpert LPs, on a good day you can come across sealed copies,
    why pay $25 (or more) for a record you can still find with ease for $1. And those old A&M pressings sound great (especially the Monarchs).

Elton will sell, most of the people who bought a copy of Going Places don't buy records anymore, they donate them.

If these are AAA and mastered by someone reputable, I'll put off my plans for a DJM eBay splurge and get the new LP's.

15. jon9091

Do you have a link for the official announcement of which albums are coming out?

16. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

17. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

What is the source of this? The first 6 have already been discussed extensively here:

Elton John Vinyl Reissues

And are in fact the same 6 Elton chose for the Burberry box set issued during the recent holiday. They are all remastered by Bob Ludwig, pressed on 180 vinyl at Abbey Road, and include meticulously recreated packaging true to the originals.

GYBR was already reissued a few years ago, and Leather Jackets must be a mistake.

18. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Captain Fantastic came out when MCA was pressing notoriously bad vinyl. It was nearly impossible to get a good clean copy when new, so it isn't any easier to get used. That album, like I remember Steve saying, is full of dynamic range and was difficult to cut. I ended up buying a DJM import and it sounds nice, but not totally quiet. I hope these use analogue masters, and I'm hopeful they will be quiet. Captain was never reissued on vinyl as far as I know, so I'm excited to get a fresh copy.

19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Scattershot to say the least, but I kind of like what they are doing in that regard as I am glad to get Captain now and not have to wait as they come out in the order originally released. But a couple of their choices make zero sense imo. Would love to hear the inside scoop of how they chose the initial titles.

20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

The Speakers Corner, as many have said, is fantastic and I believe still available. That is likely to be better than this reissue but we shall see. I have an original MFSL on vinyl and though the SC is very close, my go to is the MFSl. I doubt I will buy that one as a reissue.

21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Can you believe that? You have to wonder how many of those sold, though you were forced into it with the box set. I'm thrilled they didn't put this out as a set. I'm very surprised actually. I have to say, not that I would have been happy, but had they issued his first album through Blue Moves as a box, I would have been awfully tempted even though I have good copies. Geez...what's wrong with is?

EddieT likes this.
  22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

MCA vinyl was absolutely horrible back then. Don't bother, just wait for a reissue. The same is true with most of his albums through Westies. Have to buy imports for quiet vinyl.

Darrin Crawford likes this.
  23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That was me! I'm so glad you liked it. I will still be getting the Captain reissue as it's almost impossible to find a quiet copy, but at least you got to hear how much better the mastering was. How did you like the SC of Yellow Brick Road? I doubt you need the reissue. I never would have sold it had I not found a MFSL, but I had to pay $150 for it!

Darrin Crawford likes this.
  24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I got a preorder email from Soundstage or Elusive disc, I assume both have them as Amazon now does.

25. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

There are vast numbers of these albums at Record fairs and in charity shops for a few quid. Some re-releases amuse me...

Sean, Neonbeam, cwd and 2 others like this.