Elton John Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Feb 15, 2017.

1. CBackley

CBackley Forum Resident

Tumbleweed, too.

2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident

Absolutely. One must be careful not to over water though.

3. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Haven't had a chance to compare that to my DJM, but yes, it sounds great. I've listened to all by the most recent of the reissues at this point, and they've done a really fine job with them.

CBackley likes this.
  4. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Member

Just ordered the reissues I was missing (Elton John, Caribou, Rock of the Westies, and Too Low For Zero). I also pre-ordered The Big Picture, Empty Sky, and Blue Moves.

I've been more or less happy with the vinyl reissues so far, and I would say in most cases the reissues sound better than the pressings I already had.

I think of all the titles I just listed, though, I'm looking forward to Blue Moves perhaps the most. I don't think it's among his best albums, but I do think it contains some of his best material never heard. (For example, "Cage the Songbird" and the overture for "Tonight".) And all the copies I've had since I was a kid have been less than satisfactory in terms of sound.

I'm glad to see Sleeping with the Past is due out in October. I really hope he reissues Peachtree Road at some point.

Darrin Crawford likes this.
  5. Mazzy

Mazzy Forum Resident

Damn I wish I knew this earlier. I had a really clean copy of Blue Moves I would have sent you for free. Unfortunately it's no longer with us......

6. CBackley

CBackley Forum Resident

I have a great sounding original US pressing of Blue Moves. But I'll still pick up the reissue. It's one of my favorite Elton albums.

7. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I think Blue Moves will be tough to improve on the original...it sounds pretty damn good in my opinion!

8. chacha

chacha Forum Resident

Where is it?
    :nyah:

9. Mazzy

Mazzy Forum Resident

Has anyone tried the wash basin?

10. CBackley

CBackley Forum Resident

Yikes. Blue Moves is gonna need a good watering!

e.s. and Mazzy like this.
  11. chacha

chacha Forum Resident

Radical Reconstructive Surgery is more like it.

12. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

He is red! Kill him!

13. Mazzy

Mazzy Forum Resident

I just kill the Blue ones when it comes to EJ

14. JamesRR

JamesRR Active Member

I'm also looking forward to Blue Moves - I always felt the original had hiss on the quiet passages (e.g. Tonight) so I'm curious how the remaster will sound. Also hard to find a clean copy that doesn't have ring wear marks on the sleeve.

Peachtree would be a nice release - but it seems they're only doing albums that NEVER had a vinyl release anywhere. Once Blue Moves and One Night Only come out, all of Elton's albums would have been available on vinyl at one time or another.

15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

A lot of people love the transluscent DJM's so they must be awesome. I have tried to buy some and all of them were just too noisy, sometimes because they had been previously played a lot, or the pressing was simply poor. Our host recommends them as well. So, I have no doubt they are mastered well since you and so many others like them. It's just too difficult to source a good copy if you are in the US, so these reissues are a godsend for many of us. Glad you have copies to enjoy!

CBackley likes this.
  16. mpayan

mpayan Forum Resident

Right on :thumbsup:

Cassius likes this.
  17. mpayan

mpayan Forum Resident

Im not going to lie. I went through a bunch of copies before I came up with DJMs that were mostly quiet. My Honky took two different copies to get a NM on both sides. Im wondering if an ultrasonic bath would help. My buddy here at the local record store has one, maybe Ill give it a shot.

Jrr likes this.
  18. pdenny

pdenny Blow up your TV

19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Worth a try! And your avatar is awesome. Love that show! On our third run through on dvd. To keep this on track, I guess I should say it would have been cool if Elton had contributed a song.

mpayan likes this.
  20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

You know, everything about that album is first rate and gorgeous. I love the label, the inserts and first class cover. If I could just love the music I would really have something. I have tried so hard to like that album. Just too off the rails for me. I think you love it or hate it! I really respect he didn't play it safe and keep on going with the same ol. I can tell it's quality music, it just isn't my thing.

Darrin Crawford, soundQman and Mazzy like this.
  21. Classicrock

Classicrock Forum Resident

Sourcing a good copy of any is difficult in the UK as well as ensuring you are getting a first pressing if buying on line. Went though a fair number to get acceptable copies with Self Titled through Madman the most difficult. Scratched a decent self titled and have been unable to find a replacement without some kind of audible wear or pressing flaw. Ultimately they are the best sounding but the new versions are very close and easy to obtain.

Jrr and richbdd01 like this.
  22. JamesRR

JamesRR Active Member

To quote Elton, "it's probably my least commercial album." It's an exhaustive listen, but there are gems on there like Tonight, Cage the Songbird, Chameleon. A lot of great instrumental work, especially from James Newton Howard, who you really have to credit Elton for giving him his big break.

23. Mazzy

Mazzy Forum Resident

:tiphat:

24. moomaloo

moomaloo Forum Resident

Thanks for this. I've ordered a new copy of Madman and I'm looking forward to road testing it. It's also my favourite EJ album. I have a UK original and it sounds great but it's not in the sort of shape I normally require for a 'keeper'. The problem is, I haven't been able to find another one... These used to be everywhere but no more it seems (at least, not in a record shop and I don't often buy used LPs online...).

These EJ reissue LPs are still expensive in the UK with Madman being one of the worst for some reason...

teag likes this.
  25. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Sister Ray store in London and Amazon UK are selling Captain Fantastic for around £38!!!