Elton John Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Because we discuss these things around here otherwise why bother ?

2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

The reason I might buy Tumbleweed is because the fella who also hears the reissues as not so great mentioned that Tumbleweed is the exception. Thats worth the chance considering a logical approach was taken.

Sorry, I dont have lots of money to throw at reissues. I have to try and research, listen to samples (if I get lucky and they are posted) and be a bit more patient. Is it full proof? No probably not. But Im not going to hit click on reissues just because the "majority" here now say a reissue is great. Frankly the "majority" has changed here with many who dont hold to the same understanding of what sounds good and what doesnt.

Im not saying you or anyone else cant like these. Im saying I dont care for the CF reissue and have stated why. And why I am using that to decide on hedging my bet that the others also probably sound the same sonically as far as mastering.

Cassius likes this.
  3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I dont see that most of your posts to me in your trademark snark as much of a discussion.

4. For me the ST, Madman and Cowboy are better than Tumbleweed slughtly . So we have different listening tastes I guess

5. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

Hate to burst your bubble but you're not the be all and end all to decide whether the majority here should buy a reissue based on your own assessment. (which isn't much considering you haven't listen to them apart from a soundbite). You're making generalized bold statements that aren't warranted since you haven't bought any (dare I say as of yet).
    I tend to respect the individuals who have actually bought and listened to the new reissues and A/B'd them and have come to their conclusions whether good or bad. There are also fans buying these well..just because they're fans.

e.s. likes this.
  6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well, like I said, people can like what they like. But to say they are an improvement upon the UKs (and those are the gold standard as far as I am concerned-though they could be improved upon) ? No, they arent.

So, imo, if something doesnt improve upon the best then I see no reason to toss money at them.

Thing is I dont think Ive made fun of or poked at anyone for liking these. Im not sure why anyone feels the need to make fun of or poke at those who do not like them.

Maybe if I was stating "I dont like em and Im not telling you any reasons other than they smell bad!" Then, yeah, that would be laughable. But its always the case that the minority that do not like a remastering are simply being troublemakers and should be made fun of as much as possible.

And most of the time those who do, dont really want to discuss a thing. Nor do they really want to understand the philosophy of what others may have learned from being here and listening to Steve and others speak about what constitutes great mastering. And what doesnt. Its became a case of we are just a bunch of ancient relics that expect too much out of sound quality and we should simply shut up.

7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I never said I was the be all end all. Nor has anyone else that has stated they dont like these. You impose that determination based upon whatever reasons that arent justified. I simply stated I dont like CF I dont suggest people buying CF if they think its going to be an improvement over the UKs. And that most likely the same would be true for the rest based on the comments that the others are mastered with the same philosophy.

I respect folks that I know from the past have good judgement on sound quality. Nobby is one of those. JP is also. Also I respect actual evidence. The sample was evidence. Whether someone wants to listen to that evidence and make a determination is up to them. Id like to see more samples. On every thread. Makes it much easier and I appreciate those who take the time to do so.

I dont listen to an entire group of folks that I have no history reading their comments simply because they have bought them.

I do understand that some that I do know here from past comments mostly like every reissue that comes out. And I dont agree with them.

People can decide who they care to listen to or if they dont want to listen to anyone on the topic. You dont determine that.

8. Darrin Crawford

"Im just not sure what people are hearing that say these new reissues are great."

They got these new ones perfectly right. At least For people who use their ears to listen to them.

"Not imo they didnt"

Those are general bold statements and if you're talking about one specific album then so be it but it sounds like you didn't even buy the CF reissue so in reality all you've heard from these reissues are people's words and a soundbite. Now, if you want to give an opinion bases on a soundbite then hey...all the power to you.
    I just can't take your opinions and/or credibility seriously for that matter when you haven't even bought the reissues.

9. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Received my new copies of Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player, Caribou, and Rock of the Westies today. Listened to all three lps and had no major complaints. The vinyls were all very quiet and production quality of the sleeves and lp were good. The only issue I had was with Island Girl. I thought that the levels dropped in sections especially near the end of the track.

Darrin Crawford likes this.
  10. I understand your comments. Since the beginning of this thread I've given my personal opinion on each of the reissues as I've acquired them. Except for the S/T, I have never compared them to and of the original U.K. Versions. But they do best the original American versions.

I have read here than most do feel most of the original U.K. Versions somewhat better than the reissues , as they should be. But those now are pricey and many are noisy due to well played aging. So imho these are wonderful additions that are fairly cheap and pretty close to UKs as I understand from others.

Pointing out differences in systems is legitimate as is when listening via hearing aids. I assume, maybe wrongly, that they might alter some sounds. Please correct me if I am wrong on this.

e.s. likes this.
  11. Darrin Crawford

Hmmmm interesting. Will have to listen to the album again to see. Gee what a drag I have to listen to it again.:biglaugh:

12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

This thread kind of reminds me of the Stones half-speed Exile thread. There were a handful of us that thought that the half-speed reissue was inferior to the Artison pressing and stated the reasons why. Those who had purchased the half speed wanted our heads on the chopping block lol. The tide kind of turned a bit now and some of those same people who were hot on the new half speed are no longer impressed by it as much.

Id love to be blown away by every reissue and say "Man this thing just smokes all previous incarnations of this album!!" That technology has came so far that all those old ways and lps are simply obsolete! Unfortunately its not the case.

On a whim I bought the Music On Vinyl version of "Closer To Home". It sucks as far as sound quality. The hi rez is the way to go. Am I happy to admit I didnt research things better? No. But Im not going to say it sounds great when it doesnt. So pride and one uping or ego or be all end all knowledge isnt something I am about. Im simply about sound quality and getting the best. And when I dont hear it, I state so. Even if its my purchase that I blow it on.

John Moschella, Cassius and jon9091 like this.
  13. Most MOV titles I have aren't that great. There are some exceptions but I can't recall which ones at the moment. ™

14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

You dont have to take me seriously. However, I believe that the sample was plenty to make a reasonable determination from concerning CF. And if the same mastering technique was used on the others, then I dont care to take the risk.

Im not sure how saying IMO is such a bold thing. I didnt say "your opinion sucks! And you need hearing aids!"

Nor do I see how me saying "Im not sure what people are hearing" is bold. Its a statement of being puzzled. Nothing more.

I think I could buy all these albums and put up my own comparison clips and people would still be unconvinced. But I dont see why I should waste my money if I dont believe that most likely theyll be an improvement. Is there a risk that I am wrong about all the others besides CF? Somewhat, sure. But I see it as a bigger risk to buy them and realize that I should have trusted what logic and evidence shows me.

Im sorry you see this as bold and pushy. Its my opinion. Nothing more.

I think its more of a "dont crash our feel good party about these reissues" to be honest.

15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yeah, I didnt take the time to read about "Closer To Home" like I should have. There is a thread about the MOV version. Thats how I found out about the hi-rez download being great. Unfortunately it was too late as far as my MOV purchase.

The Lucinda Williams is a good one MOV did. I have a couple others that are good also. Mastering wise, that is.

16. Is the last Cartwheel from MOV? I have it and like it but forgot who released it. I just recall her management wasn't happy.

Back to Elton. ™

17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Oh ok, I didnt know you were serious about the hearing aids.

Sure, I understand these are better than the MCA's. What wouldnt be, right? And if people are happy with these, good on them! My disappointment comes from the same area it always comes from. They had a chance to make these the best sounding versions ever. Better than the UKs too. Yet they arent. And Im not going to spend 25 bucks on a version in which I have a NM copy of a DJM of that is better. What sucks is the best of both worlds is missed: Quiet vinyl (the reissues) and the best sq( DJM's). Its frustrating.

And based upon the clip..Its really a headscratcher to me that people would say they are very close to the UKs. The mastering really is nothing like the UKs. And I dont see the UKs as being without imperfections either. But when someone states they are very close to the UKs and Im hearing something totally different I have to ask myself "What is going on here?"

Time after time it always goes back to the basics of what exactly constitutes mastering spoke of in the past here at SHF and what use to be a more prevalent understanding here at the forums. And that type mastering doesnt seem to matter or other completely opposing mastering elements that I dont agree with seem to be just fine to many. And the mastering many of us speak of seems to be a ghost to those who enjoy the opposing mastering qualities.

And thats why I mostly disagree a good part of the time. And a few others also.

I dont deem anyone inferior or me superior. But I also aint gonna just sit back and say nothing. And others have a right to politely disagree.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    Cassius, jon9091 and Mazzy like this.
  18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Carwheels On A Gravel Road. Its great. Better than the cd. Which isnt horrid by any stretch.

Mazzy likes this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ive read over most of this thread. Its kind of funny to read in some ways. Many, if not most, of the positive comments are concerning the quality of the pressing..its flat and nice and quiet. The sleeves are well done etc. Followed by "These reissues are great!" Which I am glad for those things, but sound quality isnt simply about flat quiet lps.

Anyway, thanks for the engagement. And to those who have purchased these and think these are great, Im glad for you!

To those who havent and are wondering? Maybe take into consideration other voices on here. And listen to that clip.

jon9091 likes this.
  20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Here is the clip again for those interested.

21. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Time Out of Mind is pretty great.

22. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I haven't heard these EJ reissues, but I also noted reading this thread (and others on new vinyl) that there is an increasing trend to praise records based on flatness, quietness and cover reproductions. Sound is subjective and hard to quantify, I get that. However, without more in depth analysis of what things actually sound like it's hard to make informed choices. I respect that people like records to be flat, clean and covers to look sharp, as well as "sounding great" (compared to what?) I have CD's that sound great, but that's not going to encourage me to buy a record. Just my brief observations.

23. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Hmmm, I really didn't like that reissue. Dylan's voice is grating on that...it doesn't sound like a good recording to me.

24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Randy Newman Faust is pretty nice.

Mazzy likes this.
  25. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

It may be that it's not a good recording, and I haven't heard the original vinyl release, but I prefer it to the CD.

richbdd01 likes this.