Elton John Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Feb 15, 2017.

1. ego1jr

ego1jr Active Member

Yes Mazzy.....enough

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  2. Mazzy

Mazzy Forum Resident

Man you guys. :tiphat: Even Elton has a sense of humor.

[​IMG]

I found these reissues to be spectacular for the most part. Great pressings, beautiful covers and if you love Blue Moves then great, enjoy it.

Based on these ongoing discussions I just found it ironic that this particular title has been practically the only one with pressing issues.

Of course I don’t like to hear folks getting bad pressings but we can all lighten up a bit with all the serious crap going on.

Happy you’re enjoying the music. We all have different tastes and that’s what makes these forums entertaining imho.

That’s entertaining and enlightening.

3. ego1jr

ego1jr Active Member

Now that's more like it Mazzy! :wave::righton:

Mazzy likes this.
  4. Mazzy

Mazzy Forum Resident

Ha. It’s always been like that if folks read all my opinions on these records.

I guess that having fun too is not for everyone :tiphat:

Darrin Crawford likes this.
  5. George Blair

George Blair Forum Resident

Can anyone explain Davey Johnstone's hair? I know it was the 70's, but that looks like a lot of work to maintain.

e.s., jon9091, Mazzy and 1 other person like this.
  6. Mazzy

Mazzy Forum Resident

They had the budget for professional stylists :tiphat:

7. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I think he was trying to get on Charlie’s Angels in case Elton gave him the boot.

8. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

As of Friday afternoon, there was a sealed original copy of Blue Moves at Music Millennium here in Portland, for a fraction of the cost of the reissue.

Mazzy likes this.
  9. Mazzy

Mazzy Forum Resident

I could make it in three hours unless I get stuck in Tacoma Traffic. :tiphat:

And it was great meeting you this past weekend @e.s.

Enjoy all the new music.

e.s. likes this.
  10. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Was greeting meeting you, too -- and you know, I almost bought that sealed of Blue Moves and brought it up to Seattle for you, since I knew you were out a copy after @chacha's last visit...

Mazzy and chacha like this.
  11. Mazzy

Mazzy Forum Resident

Such thoughtful folks around these parts :tiphat:

Just listened to the new Madman last night. Such a great sounding reissue.

Peachy, e.s., CBackley and 1 other person like this.
  12. CBackley

CBackley Forum Resident

I need to pick up Madman. I just listened to Captain Fantastic and was very impressed by it.

AJK74 and e.s. like this.
  13. soundQman

soundQman Idealist of the Musical Apocalypse

He still has long locks like that, AFAIK. Maybe without the wave styling, though.

14. AJK74

AJK74 Well-Known Member

Finally got hold of the Captain Fantastic vinyl reissue today (it was reduced in HMV from an outrageous £38.99 to a far more reasonable £19.99). I have to say the sound is incredible - definitely one of the best pieces of new vinyl in my collection and the booklets and poster are top notch too. Kudos to all involved in putting these out!

pdenny, Darrin Crawford and CBackley like this.
  15. Lovealego

Lovealego Forum Resident

Who would have thought that in 2017 we would have beautiful reproductions of his albums with some of the best sound quality we have ever had in a reissue. All hope is not lost in the remasters world.

Stefan, CBackley and AJK74 like this.
  16. kitt1987

kitt1987 Member

Anyone get a copy of Sleeping with the Past yet? Curious how it compares to the original.

17. JamesRR

JamesRR Well-Known Member

Yes, played it last night. Can't compare to original, but it sounded good to me. Some static which I think will subside with a wet cleaning and more playing. Heard it more on the quiet tracks.

Basic sleeve, like the original. Lyric sheet per original. The labels on the LP have artwork like original UK version (Elton's hands on one side, eyes on the other).

Vinyl was a little discolored. Haven't been as happy with the second batch of the reissues. The first were really pristine. I'm finding the second batch has suffered a bit on the QC front.

I'm supposed to get One Night Only tomorrow.

Darrin Crawford likes this.
  18. JamesRR

JamesRR Well-Known Member

Just got One Night Only. Overall impression: it's decent. Pressed by GZ, of which I've have some QC issues with the last batch of releases. Sound quality on this is good, if there is surface noise, I don't hear it because it's a live album, and any crowd noise plus the ambient nature of this live recording is masking it. But it's on par with the CD version in terms of the mix. Band sounded great on this, Elton was rough vocally in places, but his voice cuts through well in the mix. I always felt this was an odd choice to put on vinyl, as the concert CD itself was a bit strange in its reordering of the songs (the DVD that was released is far superior, containing the entire concert) and you don't gain much from the vinyl release.

Some other things to note per the release:
    • It's the "Standard" issue, 15 tracks. (The US CD release had two bonus tracks, Daniel and The Bitch is Back, both omitted from the vinyl
    • They probably could have squeezed on of those tracks on here, as side 2 is really short
    • Artwork is well reproduced - no signs of "blowing up" photos, type is crisp. Title is all yellow (compared to CD where it was a mix of white and yellow)
    • Gatefold with photo of Elton in an alley on left side, and band photo on right. (same content as CD)
    • Plain white sleeves for double vinyl. A 4 panel color insert is included with credits, etc, plus John Toblar's write-up of the concert from 2000
    • My sleeve already had a tear along the top seam - another QC issue
    • Labels on vinyl are the yellow/black leopard print, identical to the CD art

19. Mazzy

Mazzy Forum Resident

In Seattle was Portland guest @e.s.

[​IMG]

jeffmo789, e.s., DeRosa and 2 others like this.
  20. soundQman

soundQman Idealist of the Musical Apocalypse

You just can't seem to get away from that album! :winkgrin:

e.s. and Mazzy like this.
  21. Charlie Z.

Charlie Z. Well-Known Member

I had surgery a week before this year's RSD, couldn't go, and missed out on the expanded 2 LP "11-17-70." I watched it on ebay and discogs and a few times almost pulled the trigger on an overpriced offering because I wanted it so badly. About 1 month ago, I went to a favorite local shop looking for something else and just happened to flip through the Elton albums and actually found a used copy for sale for $29.99! I listened as soon as I got home and it may be the best vinyl I have purchased all year. COMPLETELY DEAD QUIET! They really did a great job on this release and I can't recommend it enough.

jeffmo789 and Strat-Mangler like this.
  22. Mazzy

Mazzy Forum Resident

We found it in a bin sealed for over $30

23. Mazzy

Mazzy Forum Resident

It’s such a great record. The expanded version is fabulous.

soundQman and e.s. like this.
  24. Lovealego

Lovealego Forum Resident

I listened to Sleeping with the Past reissue. It sounds great but very similar to the original from my memory. I don't have the original handy to compare. If I had to guess, I would say the reissue it slightly better. Very quiet pressing too. Will be spinning the One Night Only soon too.

Please oh Please give us some more titles!!!

25. Classicrock

Classicrock Forum Resident

Sounds good but of course suffers from 80's style production. As a result this is the least satisfying sounding title I have purchased from this series. Don't have an original to compare.