Elton John Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Stefan

Stefan Forum Resident

Anyone else get a copy of Sleeping with the Past with bad sibilance ? Mine is really nasty on side 1. I'm surprised as I've been buying all of these Elton John reissues and until this one, they've been flawless and sounding incredible!

2. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Forum Resident

Are they using the original labels for these reissues? I’m assuming Captain Fantastic must be...

3. JamesRR

JamesRR Well-Known Member

Yes, they all are recreations of the UK original release labels. Captain Fantastic has the picture label, etc.

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  4. HDManiac

HDManiac Active Member

I had a bad copy too. And both sides were labeled for side two.
    Returned it for the disappointing quality.

5. JamesRR

Had that happen with Blue Moves. Got two lyric sleeves for disc one.

6. Sixpence

Sixpence Well-Known Member

Me too.

7. Mean Dorris

Mean Dorris New Member

On my 3rd copy of Blue Movies (1st copy had a seam split, didn’t get as far as playing it), and still not good, too many clicks, pops and repeating ticks, especially side 1 - first 2x copies from Amazon UK, most recent copy from Sound Of Vinyl online.

All of my other EJ reissues have been fine, including a flawless Empty Sky from the same delivery as 3rd Blue Moves.

8. JamesRR

I'm on my third copy. Haven't opened it yet. At this point, I got it to be a completist. I'm expecting it to be the same (pops, surface noise on Side 1).

The latter batch have suffered from some bad QC - split seams on the sleeves, tight sleeves. Luckily the 70s albums were done very well.

9. Mean Dorris

Mean Dorris New Member

Some great "Black Friday" prices on Sound Of Vinly for some of the EJ reissues.

The Sound of Vinyl

Many at between £16.99 and £18.99

Madman is atually £13.00, currently £29.99 on Amazon UK
    Captain Fantastic @ £16.99, currently £38.99 on Amazon.

And many others...

10. Mazzy

Mazzy Forum Resident

Elton was just on Colbert promoting his Diamonds Box set. When asked about his hit albums, he rattled off his albums from the 1970s stopping at Rock of the Westies.. Nothing from 1976. :tiphat:

Ben Adams, e.s. and JeffreyB like this.
  11. chacha

chacha Forum Resident

And rattled them off in order. It was pretty impressive. He said Carabou later than it was but pretty remarkable in that most artists can’t remember that stuff.

e.s. and Mazzy like this.
  12. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Forum Resident

Picked up Tumbleweed and have it on the table as I type. Wow! Will be picking up more quickly, sounds great and is quiet, flat without any pressing faults, hallelujah.

Terry and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  13. Lovealego

Lovealego Forum Resident

So I may have spoke too soon. My "One Night Only" is not that great of a pressing. Lots of non cleanable marks, ticks, pops during playback. I am a bit disappointed. I hardly ever listened to the cd so was eager to get more into it with a nice remaster on vinyl. I may have to send it back. LP 2 played pretty clean, but LP one had more issues than I like. I good cleaning may get rid of some. I'll try that first.

I hate lead off tracks that have a scratch from the get go (Like mine does on the song "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road") . Very hard to get into vinyl bliss with that kind of start.

14. Lovealego

Lovealego Forum Resident

BY the way, those new to these reissues, for the most part, they are AWESOME!
    Highly recommend most of them. Standouts SQ wise are Madman, Empty Sky, Captain Fantastic, Tumbleweed, Honky Chateau, Songs from the West Coast, The Big Picture (huge upgrade from cd) and I also really enjoyed Blue Moves which is better than all previous versions I have heard.

e.s. and Mazzy like this.
  15. JamesRR

I just played my third copy of Blue Moves. Better than the first two - though still some noise on Side 1 - but I think with a few cleanings and playings it will be better. And at least I got both proper lyric sleeves for each disc, instead of a duplicate of one. But this will go down as the disappointment among the 16 reissues.

16. chacha

chacha Forum Resident

Curious if the new Tumbleweed would sound bit more open and less compressed than my UK DJM?

17. JamesRR

Mine was pretty good. Sleeve was split at the seam, but not returning over that. It's a weird album, they changed the running order from the actual shows and compared to the full DVD it feels sparse. But again, it captures Elton at what I consider the end of him still sounding vocally decent in concert. Once you hit 2002/2003 his vocals started getting rough and shouty. And this band rocked - you had John Jorgenson back and it was a LARGE band - the sound was really full.

I recommend a few cleanings with these albums, then a few playings. My copy of Tumbleweed had some pops on Side 1 that a few cleanings and playings resolved.

18. Mazzy

Mazzy Forum Resident

come over a listen. :tiphat:

chacha likes this.
  19. chacha

chacha Forum Resident

I'll bring the yams.

Mazzy likes this.
  20. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

But then, Elton's a record collector.

chacha and Mazzy like this.
  21. JamesRR

And a savant about music knowledge. Like, encyclopedic. It's pretty remarkable the obscure stuff he knows.

e.s. likes this.
  22. soundQman

soundQman Idealist of the Musical Apocalypse

He and Elvis Costello are kindred spirits in that regard.

JamesRR and e.s. like this.