Elton John Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Feb 15, 2017.

1. They came with my reissues that I ordered via amazon.

2. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Interesting. The first couple I ordered (17-11-70 and Capt Fantastic) didn't have cards, so I haven't checked in the sleeves for the other few I ordered later. I'll have to do that.

3. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Looks like I got shafted. I ordered a few from B&N and a couple from Amazon as well, and none had the download cards included.

Kind of weird but nothing to lose sleep over, I suppose.

I'm sure folks in Yemen, Puerto Rico, and Venezuela simply weep at the sad tales of audiophile woe we share on this forum...

;)

4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I never saw one in the US but that doesn't mean we didn't get it. I guess it's back to trying to get a used one. Hard to find though.

5. jstger6969

jstger6969 Forum Resident

Most I bought from amazon came with free mp3 buy the physical vinyl or CD and get free autorip mp3

6. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The US versions weren't supposed to have download cards. Mazzy may have gotten ones that were meant for European distribution.

7. I gave my codes away as I have CDs anyway. i didn’t get one in the RSD 11-17-70

sennj likes this.
  8. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

That's what I was thinking as well. I like Mazzy's posts (yours, too, Ben A), so I decided to give him a pass on receiving the contraband LPs...:D

Mazzy and Ben Adams like this.
  9. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :pineapple::pineapple::pineapple:

sennj and Mazzy like this.
  10. kitt1987

kitt1987 Forum Resident

I've been saying this to my record guy for months now that the first two Greatest Hits sets would be perfect reissues for the casual listener. Would be even cooler if MOFI would have something to do with it (if even necessary). As others I was hoping they would have continued into this year with a few additional reissues but seems like it wasn't to be. Last year would have been perfect for The One being the anniversary. Still holding out for MIE, Peachtree, and a couple of his early 80's stuff.

11. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Completely agree. Especially considering GH1 was the first greatest hits album ever to reach #1. And GH2 does have a number of singles-only songs.

Ben Adams likes this.
  12. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Folks in Ukraine surely do :wave:

sennj likes this.
  13. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

Two copies one after another of a Captain Fantastic from Amazon US both with bad warps. Argh.... where were these pressed? Says Germany on cover.

Anybody else, wonder if I should keep ordering till I get a good copy!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  14. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Since these were pressed nearly a year ago and I don't recall seeing any other complaints about warps on this title, this is most likely a distributor storage issue, not a pressing plant issue per se.

My own copy came from Amazon US on day of release and was completely flat.

15. Mine was good too.

16. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

My copy bought at a Barnes & Noble is flat, no warps or dished. The first 4 albums were pressed at Optimal then switch to GZ Media for the next albums, but those are all Flat(at least the ones I bought).

17. Helom

Helom Forum member

Bought Madman at B&N yesterday. This is my favorite EJ album and I'm sorely disappointed. It was cleaned on my Okki Nokki prior to play. It has some minor surface noise but the major letdown is lack of detail and dynamics. The Spotify version sounds far better, not often the case with my analog rig.

GentleSenator likes this.
  18. Mark1981

Mark1981 New Member

Hey do u have the code for madman across the water??? It’s impossible to buy here in Barcelona and get the new remaster sound!! Very appreciate!!!!

19. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Funnily enough, I bought Madman across the water, Honky Chateau and Tumbleweed connection. Madman was the one I found most disappointing aswell. It sounds fairly decent but I can imagine the original UK sounding better. The other two I think would be quite a close call and I quite liked them.

GentleSenator likes this.
  20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

My copy was stunningly flawless. Hope you exchanged it again. The entire first group of reissues were amazing. I see upthread they changed plants for the next batch of titles. That's a shame. Clearly not as well done.

21. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Played my copy of the reissued 2017 Blue Moves vinyl. Lots of pops and parts of side 3 sounded like they were going out of tune. The vinyl looks fine and no problems with other records I played. Will get my original vinyl out and compare.
    Bought via Amazon in the UK and it came with a download.

22. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Here in the U.S., I went through two copies of Blue Moves. Both had surface noise on Side 1, esp. during quiet parts on Tonight. Ultimately, I had to live with them. That was the most disappointing of all the releases.

23. :tiphat:

Ben Adams and GentleSenator like this.
  24. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

:laughup:

25. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

Eight months later, and I'm now on my fourth copy of the Blue Moves vinyl remaster. It's doesn't sound as much like a bowl of Rice Krispies as the other copies I've listened to, but it's nowhere near the pristine sound I've enjoyed from all of the other Elton vinyl remasters.

I'm starting to think that as long as Elton & company insist on packing the discs in those horrible tight scratchy cardboard inner sleeves it'll be pretty much *impossible* to get a clean-sounding pressing of this album.