Elton John Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Feb 15, 2017.

1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I suspect it's the pressing and the vinyl, not the sleeves which are the issue. Yeah those sleeves can make some visual marks, but they don't get down in the grooves where "rice krispies" would be happening.

2. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

I must be lucky because my first copy has been fine. No noise issues for me.

3. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

You're probably right. I'm just struggling to find some sort of plausible explanation for why they can't seem to get this release right - the rest of these remasters have been *so* good!

Until they can get this one right, my go-to version remains the 2013 Japanese SHM-CD remaster:

Elton John - Blue Moves

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    AppleCorp3 likes this.
  4. dharmabumstead

Sell it to me! :D

5. ego1jr

ego1jr Forum Resident

No noise on my copy as well. Love it.

6. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Now that these have been out a bit now, how did GBYBR come out - where does it stand among all the pressings?

Ive got an MCA blue rainbow pressing that seems okay, but not impressive. I'd like to know if these will be a good upgrade.

7. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

It was not included in this reissue series. The last reissue of GBYBR was the 2014 Universal Music release and it was quite forgettable. Your MCA is mostly probably better. I know my original MCA definitely is.

The best vinyl version I have heard was the Speakers Corner release. I have a needle drop of it and it sounds phenomenal. Unfortunately, they are quite expensive if you can find one.

8. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Hm. That sounds like a faithful reproduction of the original MCA release, then. Down to the surface noise.

agundy, snowman872 and bob chabot like this.
  9. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

And the worst part is.... It's not like it's one of those common-as-dirt titles where you could choose from 93 different copies on Discogs (for just the U.S. press) starting at $1.88.
    Oh, wait....
    Elton John - Blue Moves (Vinyl) For Sale at Discogs Marketplace

walrus and dharmabumstead like this.
  10. dharmabumstead

Ha! This is true. Shall I post a picture of the growing stack of tried-and-discarded copies I've purchased from discogs and elsewhere over the years? I'm not sure I've got 93 copies yet, but it probably numbers in the double digits.

The cleanest copy I've ever snagged was a Rocket Records Japanese pressing, but unfortunately that one was a nice quiet pressing bogged down by the curiously dull and lifeless sound.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  11. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Big thanks! I appreciate the advice.

I did pick up Songs From the West Coast recently and was hopeful there would be a few other titles I was looking for.

12. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

+1. I have a US Blue Moves and it sounds quite spectacular. Got it for $2 in the 90s when you couldnt give away vinyl at any price. I just don't get the need for reissues of common, great sounding vinyl.

walrus likes this.
  13. crazywater

I actually prefer the 2014 reissue over my 1978 yellow vinyl and definitely over the tan label MCA I have. The yellow vinyl sounds nice but a little less vibrant then the 2014 reissue. The MCA tan label is just awful.

srsch likes this.
  14. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

You're lucky, though. The original US Blue Moves is notoriously a noisy pressing.

snowman872 and dharmabumstead like this.
  15. jstger6969

jstger6969 Forum Resident

Any word if this reissue campaign will continue with Greatest hits and Greatest Hits 2?

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  16. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I'd like to see them included too.

17. kitt1987

kitt1987 Forum Resident

I told my record guy last year that a release of those two greatest hits albums would be a great idea for the casual listener.

18. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

There was a 2-fer reissue edition on vinyl in the '80s. A couple weeks ago, one came into the record shop where I moonlight - I priced it at $9.99 and it sold within an hour.

There's definitely a market for those specific GH albums, regardless of other hits collections that have come out since.

kitt1987 likes this.
  19. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I think the reissue campaign is over. "Diamonds" is the GH vinyl set available now. Shame, as I would've loved GHV2 - but they skipped them.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  20. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Is there anything wrong with the vintage pressings? There are currently 476 copies on Discogs.

21. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Sometimes people like to buy something, you know, brand new. In print.

22. kitt1987

kitt1987 Forum Resident

Not only that but those 70s pressings aren't exactly the best either. I don't think we need to get into an discussion over the quality of MCA's vinyl during that time period so I'll just leave it at that.

Ben Adams likes this.
  23. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

All my original EJ pressings are UK DJC. They sound miles better than the U.S. versions and they're quite common overseas. You basically just have to find a Discogs seller with reasonable shipping and order a few items at once.
    That said I have a Speakers Corner GYBR (amazing sound, but crazy pricey now) and the new reissue of Tumbleweed, so I think some modern pressings are quite good. (Also the RSD 17-11-70 for the extra tracks, obviously.) I caved on Tumbleweed only cuz I've never found a really good UK press for a reasonable price. Same issue with Madman although I DID get an unplayed one for $20 recently, so that was a nice find!

Fred68 likes this.
  24. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

For those looking for the reissues for cheap, some nice deals here:
    The Sound of Vinyl

$13.99 apiece for 6 EJ titles, including the double West Coast. Is the S/T reissue supposed to be good? My UK is a bit noisy and $14 might be worth it to compare.

25. crazywater

Looks great until you see the shipping charge which make each LP about $20 each.

mpayan likes this.