Elton John Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I find it funny there are people that like the album! Sorry...I just couldn’t resist! I buy a copy every ten years or so and give it another shot because I read here how some really do enjoy it. I wish I could, I just can’t find anything other than the one hit that resonates with me. I do respect him for trying to change things up instead of just doing things the same. However, he would never again reach those dizzing heights. It is a beautiful package, all the way down to the Rocket label art on the record, which is one of the nicest labels I have ever seen.

Mazzy and CBackley like this.
  2. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I don’t want to derail this thread, but I just want to say that I LOVE Blue Moves. It’s easily one of my favorite Elton albums. I rank it above Empty Sky, s/t, Madman, Caribou, Rock of the Westies, and A Single Man. (Well, and Victim of Love but come on...) Sure, I could trim a song or two. But overall it’s a masterpiece. I first heard it about 20 years ago, and I loved it from day one.

The reissue sounds fantastic. Anyone who has even a moderate interest in Blue Moves should pick it up.

3. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I'm thinking since you say you love it, that you have the original? I have the MCA and it sounds quite nice. Is there that much a difference? By the way, Blue Moves would have made a great single album.

Thanks in advance.......

CBackley likes this.
  4. The Pop Kids

The Pop Kids Forum Resident

I think as a complete statement, it's problematic. But the songs I love on there are some of my all time favorites.

I wished it'd gone more like this:

Tonight
    One Horse Town
    Chameleon
    Boogie Pilgrim
    Crazy Water
    Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word
    If There's A God In Heaven
    Bite Your Lip

How anyone who considers themselves an EJ fan could take or leave "One Horse Town" or "Crazy Water" is a mystery to me. But hey! Different strokes, etc.

5. The Pop Kids

:agree:

6. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

No Cage the Songbird? Probably my favorite song and never have been a fan of Crazy Water. You are correct, different ears, different listening times etc..........

The Pop Kids and CBackley like this.
  7. CBackley

I have a nice minty original US pressing. It sounds good. I’ll take the reissue anyday.

Todd W. likes this.
  8. The Pop Kids

I think part of what's going on for me is that all my parents had when I was growing up was the original MCA CD release, which you'll remember omitted several tracks, including "Cage." I didn't hear the full album until my late twenties. Here's the one we had in the house when I was a kid: Elton John - Blue Moves

CBackley likes this.
  9. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

That Crazy Water song is not bad. :agree::D

10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Being a very “artsy” album, I would have to agree that your assement is probably spot on and what he was going for when the album was recorded. That kind of album, however, requires patience and repeated listens (im0) for the listener to appreciate it, which is why every few years I try and revisit it. I wish I was the type that could get into visionary artists like Dylan (and with Blue Moves, Elton) that do this kind of work and get the appreciation from artists. I’ve just never been able to put the effort in to do that. But on the other hand, when you put out a string of albums and then suddenly change it up like that, you really can’t expect your audience to follow. Same thing when Fleetwood Mac put out Tusk after Rumours. But their albums were so strong after that they recovered, and like Blue Moves, there were some fans of the album.

11. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

That's a very fine album, IMO.

12. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

I saw the "new" Captain Fantastic and Madman LPs today. They both bore hype stickers that they were taken from "the original master tapes". Madman's gatefold was gone and Captain Fantastic felt lighter (my local had both pressings on hand), so either some of the inserts were missing or a lower quality paper stock was used. The credits on the back both read 2016 and the "Made in the EU" designation was gone. I think it's a safe bet to say that these are just a re-packaging of the 2016 masters.

Chip Madinger
    EIGHT ARMS TO HOLD YOU | remastered - OUT NOW!
    LENNONOLOGY | Volume One - Strange Days Indeed
    www.lennonology.com

The Pop Kids, CBackley and ego1jr like this.
  13. CBackley

That really sucks if the packaging is of cheaper quality now.

14. teag

teag Forum Resident

Wow - that was fast. The packaging when these came out was stellar. One of the best for a reissue I have seen.

More reason to buy right away when these reissues come out. The life seems to be shortening.....

Christopher B and CBackley like this.
  15. The Pop Kids

2016/17 pressings still in stock at Barnes & Noble FYI. Just finished my set out w/Elton John and Madman.

16. CBackley

I’ve been finishing off my set using through Blue Moves, before the new wave of reissues replaces all the 2016/2017 reissues. I’m listening to Honky Chateau right now. Wow. This sounds great.

This is one hell of a reissue series. I can’t comment on anything after Blue Moves because I haven’t bought them (and won’t be doing so). But the 70’s material all sounds great. Holy cow.

Beautiful textured sleeve on Honky Chateau too!

17. The Pop Kids

2L40 sounds nuts.

CBackley likes this.
  18. CBackley

I’d love to hear it. But my Elton journey stops at A Single Man, with occasional foolish jaunts into Victim of Love.

The Pop Kids likes this.
  19. The Pop Kids

I think that’s about right.

CBackley likes this.
  20. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Makes sense that the repressings would lose the detailed packaging, often the case. Very costly to keep producing die-cuts and booklets, etc.

CBackley likes this.
  21. CBackley

Have they had the same catalog numbers? Just wondering how future buyers will be able to tell them apart.

22. teag

teag Forum Resident

My heart bleeds!

As long as they lower the price it makes sense.

23. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Yes, because not only that's not cool for the forthcoming buyers, but that also means that I have to hurry to complete the catalogue ! (I've started to buy them little by little, because I had no Elton John on vinyl yet - only cds- and because the original packaging were respected).
    Thankfully I already have Madman and I bought Fantastic last week. (the previous re-issues).

CBackley likes this.
  24. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Here's my comments from upthread fwiw. Elton John Vinyl Reissues

Todd W. likes this.
  25. CBackley

Yeah, same here. I rushed to buy the last six I had remaining from his 70’s output. Worth every penny!

Christopher B and Zongadude like this.