Elton John Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Feb 15, 2017.

1. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

I just received my copy of Tumbleweed Connection and was expecting a leather texture to the gatefold sleeve along with the booklet being stapled into the centre of the gatefold, as my original UK release has. However the gatefold has no texture and the booklet is inserted into the back half of the gatefold. Is this how all the reissue copies of TC are? I hope this is not the first sign of Tumbleweed being stripped back in presentation such as the fate of Madman and Captain Fantastic have suffered. What’s everybody else have for their reissues of this title?

2. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

I didnt get this reissue yet. Wasnt one of my favorites but will get it to complete my collection. Id hate to see what they do to this one as the EJ gatefolds are being replaced by lesser quality packaging it seems.

3. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

My Tumbleweed Connection reissue from 2016/2017 was not textured like the original release. The full sized booklet was also loose, not bound...same as Madman, Don't Shoot Me and the others.
    From the sounds of it, the 2018 versions of these cut a lot of corners though so I would guess Tumbleweed '18 might not even be a gatefold.

BlackCircleVinyl likes this.
  4. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

I saw Tumbleweed at Barnes and Noble today while browsing and it is the 2017 version, complete with gatefold, but the booklet was inside where the record was and the cover was smooth.

5. teag

teag Forum Resident

Madman book is bound to the cover not loose.

BlackCircleVinyl likes this.
  6. Christopher Lauher

Christopher Lauher Forum Resident

Hahahahaha I bought self titled and also captain 16/17 all the way lol

7. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

It was this and the textured cover on Madman that made me think that Tumbleweed would carry these same original packaging details with its’ reissue also. Pity as they do add to the overall luxe feel of the album.

8. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

While the packaging is nice and pretty close on all of these from '16 and '17. It's the fantastic mastering that really makes these must haves....

9. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

They switched to GZ for pressing and packaging, so anything from the second batch (not originally in the limited Burberry box) is slightly cheaper packaging. Sounds like they are cutting back still further on later pressing runs. This sort of emulates what happened in the late 70s and 80s with EJ titles. I suppose this makes first pressings of the reissues collectable already.

Christopher B likes this.
  10. The Pop Kids

The Pop Kids Forum Resident

FYI, via eltonjohndotcom: "Two classic #EltonLIVE albums are coming to vinyl remastered. Here And There and Live In Australia are released November 9th! "

Pre-order: EltonJohn.lnk.to/Store

11. Christopher Lauher

Christopher Lauher Forum Resident

12. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Awesome the reissues continue!

13. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Crap. I *just* paid like $25 for a nice original copy of Here and There. I hesitated, wondering whether a reissue would happen soon.

Hopefully they expand it to include some of bonus tracks from the CD.

14. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Yeah like a Here and There +. Maybe an RSD like 11/17/70+.

CBackley likes this.
  15. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

They need to expand Live in Australia at some point, hopefully soon.

PT

16. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

From the price, it doesn't look like it.

$25?? I think I paid...$4 for mine, maybe 2 or 3 years ago? It's not that great, honestly. The music is good, but also includes "Crocodile Rock", and both sides kind of leave you wanting more, especially if you grew up having the '95 reissue first.

CBackley likes this.
  17. walrus

This is long overdue, along with the seemingly never-happening complete b-sides/rarities collection that Elton's catalog so desperately needs.

Christopher B and PTgraphics like this.
  18. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

It was a nice original pressing from Japan. Great sound. No surface noise. All the US originals I've owned have been noisy. I overpaid to be guaranteed no surface noise.

19. walrus

Okay, that makes a lot more sense. Mine was in nice shape, but a generic US copy. But I couldn't really justify spending much more than that unless they made a version without "Crocodile" :laugh: (Honestly, that and "Bennie" are my two least favorite EJ hits, so the original tracklisting is kind of a bummer, although it makes sense as that album in its original form was 100% pure stopgap product).

CBackley likes this.
  20. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

21. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

...just picked up Here and There - shockingly, I'd never actually heard the recording. More quiet, dead flat and great sounding vinyl.

6mos ago I picked up an original of Live in OZ - will be interesting to hear from those that compare to the new one. I'm assuming there's not much else to glean from that record, but who knows, it wouldn't be the first time.

I've been supremely impressed with the EJ rereleases, they're for me at least the definitive versions to keep on blackwax, while the (glorious) SACD multichannels will serve when feeling in a surroundy mood.

22. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I really hope they continue trickling tut studio albums. Getting these two is a good sign. Lets have some more. I'm game Elton!

23. The Pop Kids

The Pop Kids Forum Resident

Dunno, man. LOTTA garbage after Blue Moves. Like A LOT. Lol.

Jrr likes this.
  24. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

Strongly disagree there ! But hey, to each his own ;)

The Pop Kids likes this.
  25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Pretty much, and I hate saying that. But there was still some good one’s, like Made In England. Unfortunately that is the only post Captain Fantastic album I thoroughly enjoyed enough to buy as a reissue (I keep trying, but I have never been able to get into Blue Moves). I also liked 21 at 33 but not enough to buy it again, and Two Low For Zero was decent but I already had a good copy. I can’t stand any of his T Bone produced, raw vocal albums. His voice for me just isn’t good enough for that kind of production after being used to the way his older albums were so well produced, but a lot of people here like them and I certainly respect that.

The Pop Kids and Christopher B like this.