ELTON JOHN "Your Songs" MCA CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Evan, Mar 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evan

Evan Senior Member Thread Starter

Your Songs

Today I picked up a copy of Elton John, "Your Songs" mastered by one Steve Hoffman. Sounds good! Real good! Great job Steve!! I highly recommend this disc. Steve, did you use the original master tapes or safeties to do this compilation? Did I mention that it sounds good? :D

2. ascot

ascot Senior Member

This is one of my favorites, too. It was also one of the first discs to bring Steve's name to my attention.

3. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Agreed. The track selection is interesting, focusing on 1970-1972 (including "Friends"), although it was released in 1985 (was this a CD-only release?). It inspired me to compile my own expanded version of Your Songs.

Jim W.

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I constantly look for this CD, but never can find it. Any help out there?

5. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

There's a few reasonably-priced used copies at www.half.com and a few pop up on ebay once in awhile.

Jim W.

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That disc was mastered from the USA MCA safety copies, flat.

7. Evan

Evan Senior Member Thread Starter

Simply amazing. It is one of the best non-DCC cds that I have ever heard. I keep playing Tiny Dancer over and over :)

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Jim W.,

I checked over at half.com and found a copy for ~$10. I was just about to order it when I stopped. I took a trip down to my used CD store and crazy thing, they had one! A perfect mint copy for only $6.99. I honestly look for this CD everytime I go to the used CD store but haven't had any luck for over 2 years.

Great sound all over!

I really struck gold at this store today with the Elton and I also found a perfect copy of "Ella sings Cole Porter" for only $22! I also grabbed a 3-track Jimi Hendrix "Winterland + 3" for only $2.99. :) :) :)

9. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Great disc.....I've also been looking for one and this past weekend
    found a used one in mint condition for $5.99.

I was one happy camper!!!!!!!!

"Tiny Dancer" does it for me also!!!!!

Keep hunting......it's worth the search...!!!!

JF

10. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

I think Tiny Dancer might be a very well recorded track anyway.

It also sounds great on the To Be Continued box.

11. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

I had this but sold it when I got the TBC box in '90.

Yes, I'm a *****.

Maybe I'll put in the effort to reacquire it someday.

Ryan

12. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

Ryan

I had this (YS) as well and also dealt it away when I got the box set!!- but just tonight I picked up a copy for $2.49 on half.com (so all of $5 bux total with shipping!) - there's many more there as well!

13. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

...probably not for long, Paul... :)

-Kevin

14. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

Your quiet right - Nothing lasts for long once the word gets out to the CD Vultures on this site!- Which is exactly why the site is so great! - We all tip each other off on what to score and what to stay away from - all the while looking for the best deals!!

15. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

SamS,

You probably won't believe me but that's exactly how I came across my copy two weeks ago. After weeks and weeks waiting for it to turn up at Canterbury Records, I decided to place bids on a couple that had appeared on eBay. As I was about to hit the Place Bid button I thought, "OK, let's check out the used CD shop ONE MORE TIME". The next day, lo and behold, there it was, waiting to be snapped up.

Jim W.

16. triple

triple Senior Member

17. ascot

ascot Senior Member

That's it. Compiled by Steve and Michael Goldstone, who I am not familiar with. Maybe Steve can fill us in.

This is an excellent disc and available quite cheaply.

18. triple

triple Senior Member

Thanks for replying!

Yes, Michael Goldstone was the name, right. I am still puzzled with the reissue year being 1991, though.

Goran

19. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Michael was an A&R guy at MCA Records when we did this together in 1985. He gave me his list and I gave him MY list and what ever be both chose went on there for the most part (with one or two inevitable compromises along the way).

20. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Did either of you vote for "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters"? I would have swapped that one for "Friends" or "Razor Face". Still, you guys made a heck of a disc and an excellent sampler of Elton's early, mostly non-single tracks.

:thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.