Elton MCA issue variations question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David R. Modny, Nov 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець Thread Starter

Hi all,

I need to know for sure what the chronology was for the old MCA Elton CD issues.

Namely, were the yellow spined/full artwork "DIDX" pressings *before* or *after* the stripped-down Compact Disc/Compact Price series and the solid pink/purple back series. I've recently had conflicting reports. Any help would be mucho appreciated.

Also, for anyone keeping score...The early 90's Polydor "Madman" is sourced from the same digital master as the yellow-spined, full artwork MCA. Tests have been conclusive!

So far - different for Polydor/MCA:

Empty Sky
    Elton John
    Capt. Fantastic

Same:

Madman
    DSMIOTPP

I'm trying to also figure out, as possibly suggested, if there was any switch in masters for the MCAs during their lifetime. So far, a comparison between a "Compact Price" version of "Elton John" (made in the US) and a solid backed purple/pink issue (Made in Japan) has proven identical.

Thus, the yellow spined/ full artwork release info is kinda important to me. Thanks! :)

2. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I am not 100% sure, but I am fairly certain that the DIDX full artwork pressings came first followed by the stripped down artwork pressings.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yes. Correct.

As to sound:

A few of the early MCA Elton's were sourced from the MCA copy tapes, but most came from Digital clones of the DJM digital remasterings.

The "Your Songs" compilation I did on Elton came from the existing MCA copy tapes, transferred "flat"....

4. David R. Modny

So, I guess what I'm asking Steve...

To the best of your knowledge, were those same masterings used thoughout the lifespan of the MCA's (up until the Polydor switch) -- regardless of issue variations. Only the artwork changed?

5. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

Yep, the early Elton CD's had yellow spines (for the most part), smooth sided jewel cases, no UPC codes and CD's made in Japan (at least every one that I've seen).

6. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I just checked my EJ CD's, and the earliest have the DIDX and full booklets. The next batch are the COMPACT PRICE discs. Hey, I found that I still have a few DJMs!!! Woo-Hoo, forgot about those!

:-jon

7. Steve Hoffman

Me not know, Boss. Sorry. I would ASSUME so though.

Doesn't help, does it? :rolleyes:

8. David R. Modny

Thanks for all the nice scans and info folks -- much appreciated!

My next question would be:

For the first series, with full-artwork, were *all* of the '69-'76 "classic" titles released...or only a select few? I've got Madman, have seen a GYBR, have heard from someone with a DSMIOTPP, and now I see the great scans above.

"Empty Sky," "Elton John," "11-17-70," "Honky Chateau" ????

(I've got a later MCA of "Empty Sky," which uses the "American" album cover and two different MCA versions of EJ -- all with stripped-down artwork.)

Again, thanks to all.

9. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Don't know if this adds anything to the pot - I have a 1995 Mercury of Don't shoot Me... with the following statement by Gus Dudgeon in the booklet

All the tapes used to create these new masters are the original mixes. However, due to the fact that many of the tapes are at least 25 years old, they have been "softened up" to varying degrees. So, the sound has been passed through the most up to date digital processing equipment, at 20 Bit Resolution; nameely The Sadie Digital System and Prism Super Noise Shaper. The effect is purely to "enhance" rather than "colour" the sound.

As the original producer, I would have used this equipment at the time, had it been available for mastering. The very nature of analogue recordings being transferred to vinyl demanded major compromises. With the benefits of digital sound these constraints are removed, and the recordings can be heard much closer to the reproduction we had originally intended.

All the best - Andrew

10. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

David, I don't know if this adds anything to the discussion but I just picked up a DIDX Honky Chateau, pink/purple back and spine, stripped down booklet, disc made in Japan. The "DIDX" is only on the booklet, not on the disc.

Sounds great.

11. Steve.

How were you able to include "Friends" on "Your Songs"? The soundtrack was on a different label when it first appeared on vinyl. I never saw the song anywhere else on any MCA compilations till it appeared on the "To Be Continued" box set. We had to wait until the "Rare Masters" two disc Polygram Chronicles set in 1992 for the full soundtrack to appear. The original album was on Paramount? The song and the soundtrack are a favourite of my brother Paul's (and mine).

Attached Files:

12. Steve Hoffman

Paramount Records was owned by ABC/DOT which was bought by MCA.

So, I used it. The legal people said ok...... :)

Maybe no one else thought of it until 1992?

13. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Maybe...but Uni put out the "Friends"/"Honey Roll" 45. Presumably Uni always had the rights, and they were an MCA company. EJ was loaned out for the soundtrack work, which he obviously wanted to do.

ED:cool:

14. Thanks for connecting the dots Steve. I forgot about the 7 inch, Ed.

Follow up question Steve. What was your source for Friends? It has a bit of tape hiss where as the rest of the tracks on "Your Songs" are quiet. The Bill Levinson/Joseph Palmaccio version on "Rare Masters" is a little quieter. I'm assuming they had access to the original master tapes as there is a separate credit in the liner notes; "Analog transfers engineered by Gary Moore at Polygram Studios, London". SO, if the difference between the two versions is copy tape vs master tape, then how come the other tracks on "Your Songs" don't contain the same amount of tape hiss? Or did the Chronicles people use some noise reduction?

Thanks. :)
    _________

Mike

15. pauljones

pauljones Forum Chef

The song sequence for Friends as represented on Rare Masters is slightly different than on the original Paramount LP. Is this one of the UK/USA variations? The sound on Rare Masters is very good.
    Also, try to search out the original 2-cd set of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road on MCA. The sound is very smooth and natural. I had written Andy Mc Kaie about it and he replied that "the right master was used".

16. Steve Hoffman

We used the non-dolbied Paramount LP tape on Friends, and the Trident Studio DOLBY A Uni tapes for everything else.... See?

17. Ah...yes. That clears up the mystery. Thanks again Steve. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.