Elvis '68 Comeback in theaters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WLL, Aug 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery Thread Starter

This night, I saw the theatrical reshowing of Elvis Presley's " '68 Comeback " specials in a version for theaters.
    I had never seen the whole thing before.
    Oddly enough, the famed final song, ' If I Can Dream ", seemed to be omitted from this version:eek: .A rights/synch/liscencing issue:confused:?

YardByrd likes this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I'm glad I just watched my dvd version instead of paying $35 to be annoyed then lol

MortSahlFan likes this.
  3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

That's insane. "If I Can Dream" is the almighty, orgasmic crescendo of the show!

ClausH, Pouchkine, Chemguy and 3 others like this.
  4. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

What? What?

You can’t have that show without that song? That is absurd!

Who thought this would ever fly? That’s my question.

Unbelievable.

mark winstanley likes this.
  5. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

I dunno about Santa Cruz... but "If I Can Dream" was most definitely included at the showing in Dayton, OH.

6. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

"If I Can Dream" was not cut from the copy we watched.

A couple items of note; Fathom events put this on, hosted by an AMC theatre. The staff had no clue what was going on. We arrived to a dark theatre at 7PM. Quite a few people showed up and we all sat in the dark. We told the staff and they turned the lights on. It was supposed to start showing at 7:30PM. 7:30 came and went until about 7:50 when a staffer showed up and apologized about not starting the movie. They admittedly forgot about the showing.

It was glorious to watch on the big screen though!

7. elvislady

elvislady Well-Known Member

'If I Can Dream' As a special place in my heart, This was played at my dads funeral. I love both original and RPO versions.

Vintage1976 likes this.
  8. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery Thread Starter

...It may have been a fubar that led to "IICD ''s disappearance, if it did.
    At my showing, IIRC, the film stopped entirely for s while. then, the picture came on but no sound...Finally, they noticed and rewound it to the point, I suppose, the goof-up happened...:realmad:Perhaps that caused IICD to be pushed out at the end:blah::rolleyes::realmad:. 'Tho, IIRC, a post-the main part interview with the director and a " Having Fun " segment of some outtakes and repeated humorous bits from the show remained...
    There was only one showing, so it's not like they had to get in the next crowd.:cry::realmad:

Vintage1976 likes this.
  9. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

A new film is being released featuring outtakes from the'68 Comeback Special

laf848 and PepiJean like this.
  10. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Apparently only in UK? Lucky for those in the select theaters. Footage will most likely come from the alternate shows as is available on the DVD and BR box sets.

Bink likes this.
  11. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Yes that's what I was thinking. Apparently 70 minutes of outtakes so am guessing the sit down and stand up shows.

MRamble likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.