Elvis 68 Comeback Special to hit Theaters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Price.pittsburgh, May 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I wonder how this will translate from small screen to big?

Regardless, I’m there!

3. The opportunity to see this in a theater with other fans is pretty cool. I’m there.

4. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Oops, forgot...

“Boy, my boy...”

5. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

I'm all in on this....

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  6. Price.pittsburgh

Lol, dude I still say Boy, my boy today.
    You're the first person I've seen single that out.

mark winstanley, I333I and Chemguy like this.
  7. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

The missus and I love saying that.

mark winstanley, I333I and Shawn like this.
  8. That Elvis was enough of a WC Fields fan to say that quote during the filming of a network TV special makes him all the more cool in my book.

mark winstanley and artfromtex like this.
  9. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

I am so in for this!

10. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I just hope they don’t reformat it to 2:35 like they did for The Searcher doc.
    But I doubt they’ll show it in 1:33 as it should be.
    I’ve never seen the special (only footage) and would love to see the whole thing.

Shawn likes this.
  11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I'm in....

RSteven and melstapler like this.
  12. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

Last summer at a "The Reel Thing" over at the Academy, I did a presentation on the history of the RCA CED train wreck ---for my topper, I brought in a restored CED player, hooked it up to the digital projector at the Dunn Theater, and we screened the opening number of the 68 Special on the big screen. Nothing like 240 lines on the 35-foot screen (yeah, it looked like crap…and good at the same time in a bad way---below is a photo from the set up). The opening of the show simply rocked people—it was amazingly powerful, and many came up after asking if what I showed was available on DVD. I talked more about Elvis than my RCA presentation to people in the lobby after---Anyhow, the Singer Special will play like gangbusters, and yep, I’ll be there.

[​IMG]

13. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Very exciting news! Wish they'd do this more often, now here's a reason to go to the theater.

14. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I say it all of the time, too.

melstapler and RSteven like this.
  15. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

I will force my parents AND kids to see this. That screenshot really seals the deal. This will be great.

melstapler and Shawn like this.
  16. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

I wonder if it will be the 73 minute edition that includes this performance? I was lucky enough to see this version the very first time I ever saw the 68 Special on TV back in August 1977.

True greatness.

17. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

Unbelievable !!!

mark winstanley likes this.
  18. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

Me too! Except it was actually November 20, 1977 it was first aired in that longer version, not August. The show was aired on NBC and called Memories Of Elvis. It was hosted by Ann-Margret. The three-hour special consisted of the longer version of the 68 comeback special (aired for the very first time) along with the 90 minute version of Aloha From Hawaii (first aired in North America on NBC in April of 1973). NBC repeated Memories Of Elvis on August 29, 1978. Here in Winnipeg we were extra lucky because a local TV station also repeated the show in March of 1978, so we got to see the special three times! In those pre-VCR days, that was gold! I recorded the audio on a little mono tape recorder.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  19. Price.pittsburgh

My dad bought a VCR in 78 and had one of the Memories of Elvis airings recorded.
    I guess it's the Aug 78 version since I'm in the U.S.
    I re watched it several times for years.

Shak Cohen and mark winstanley like this.
  20. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

I've got this on DVD, but I'd LOVE the chance to see it on the big screen!

pseudopod likes this.
  21. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

Awesome. After those three airings in 1977-78 I didn't see the 68 comeback special again until it came out on VHS in the mid to late 80's. Before that I had to settle for the soundtrack album and one of the sit-down shows HBO aired (Superchannel in Canada) under the title Elvis: One Night With You in 1985. That was great to see too because it was a raw, completely unedited segment of the special, although still only a small portion of the full special.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  22. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

Agreed. I have the 3 DVD box that came out in 2004, the single DVD from 2006 as well as some of the earlier incarnations on VHS. I even have a self-made edit to match the 1977 airing for my own use as well as a copy of Memories Of Elvis I finally tracked down in trading circles a number of years ago (although the quality is a little rough, hence my own edit). My understanding is this upcoming theatrical version is yet another new edit, so I am excited to check it out. Hopefully in December this new edit will find it's way to Blu-Ray/DVD to mark the 50th anniversary of NBC airing Singer Presents... ELVIS which first aired December 3, 1968.
    [​IMG]

23. Price.pittsburgh

Yeah, I was pretty lucky.
    I kinda took over a lot of my dad's VHS recordings that he didn't watch so I had access to the 68 special and Aloha for many years before I too purchased them in the late 80s on store version VHS tapes.
    I hung on to those for a while and still have them somewhere and waited until 2004 before buying DVD versions, which were the deluxe editions.

pseudopod likes this.
  24. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

That voice! That outfit!

25. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

How does somebody that looks like that have all that talent too? Ridiculous. Unfair. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.