ELVIS at Stax: 40th anniversary Sony Legacy

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MEMPHISSUN, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

Thanks again. Excellent!

2. Michael Manning

Michael Manning Forum Resident

Why couldn't Sony/BMG release the deluxe version of this set on vinyl. Also, which they would do it with the Dylan Bootleg 10 set too!

3. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I wish the HDTracks version was the deluxe set too.

4. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

The photo is from early 1974 (He wasn´t tanned at all during his first Las vegas stint and first tour of 1974). He actually used the suit (perhaps he had two) at 14 concerts during the 1973-1974 (minus the belt that some lucky person in the audience got jan 14 1973).

Here are the gigs with the Aloha eagle jumpsuit: http://www.elvisconcerts.com/concer...d&search_vid=search_vid&search_aud=search_aud

5. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident Thread Starter

One suit was used on the Rehearsal and the other was for the show its self.

6. MEMPHISSUN

I'm stunned at the push SONY is giving this set,is this a start of things to come ie,big sets.

Or simply the 40th and at STAX. (a one off).Time will tell.

mikrt17 likes this.
  7. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

The interesting thing in that listening party video (see post #349) is that Putnam seems pretty sure that Presley committed several attempts at "We Had It All" to tape before aborting the effort. Jorgensen notes that 2 multitrack reels from the Dec 73 session appear to be missing. Putnam further states he believes David Briggs may have the missing studio tapes (or a copy of them). It will be interesting if an "unheard" studio Presley song surfaces. Putnam states that Briggs told him weren't any complete vocal takes on the "We Had It All" multis that could be stitched together to create a usable master since Presley didn't apparently sing the chorus.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  8. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

OK - I'm going to come right out and say it: this might possibly be the greatest Elvis Presley release EVER!!

After looking around town, I could only find the single disc - which would never do.

I ordered it from Amazon.com - and through the MIRACLE OF AUTORIP, am enjoying this release on my BOSE computer speakers.

LATE Elvis = BEST Elvis! And this is LATE ELVIS AT HIS FINEST!

MRamble and mikrt17 like this.
  9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I appreciate your enthusiasm about this material; some of it was strong (and Promised Land was a stellar performance). But let's not go overboard here. This was not Elvis "at his finest" by any stretch of the imagination. Some of these performances are among the worst non-soundtrack recordings of his career.

CBackley likes this.
  10. MEMPHISSUN

The reels (some) have been missing a long time and if out-takes of HEARTBREAK HOTEL or a LIVE SUN song can be found then hope's can still be high for those 70's reels.

100% on the poor performances but the reviews on this forum and music magazines have been the opposite to what a load of folk (me included) thought this would bomb,especially the 3xcd set ... it has gone in to some CHARTS in europe (UK,HOLLAND),and i know it takes low sales to get in the charts but i never thought this set would.

As i said early on,SONY have gone way out to push this set,i hope this will be the start rather than a one off.

11. windfall

windfall Senior Member

The ballads, for me, are where Elvis shines on this set. Honky Tonk Angel, It's Midnight, etc. Some terrific performances. IMHO, it's the material that is sometimes lacking: Elvis is ON it, on almost every song. Oh, the ballads plus Promised Land; just terrific.

12. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

The most under-represented part of my Elvis collection are the 70s. Aside from the hits on ESSENTIAL and ON STAGE (Legacy Edition - which I love, though I prefer IN PERSON), the only 70s-era material I have is on the 1999 BURNING LOVE compilation, a hodge-podge of live and studio material.

Can anyone recommend a decent single disc collection from the Stax era? Or should I just pick-up PROMISED LAND and call it a day? Thanks.

13. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

If You're not worried about having latest remasters the best overview of Elvis output in the 70's remains Walk A Mile In My Shoes: The Essential 70's Masters, which although not the latest masters still sounds pretty darn good.

CBackley, MarkusGermany, JimC and 3 others like this.
  14. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

I was listening to some tracks from that this morning, and I agree, it sounds fine...

MarkusGermany and hodgo like this.
  15. PacificOceanBlue

Finding a missing Stax reel would be nice, but I would much rather see the missing 1956 "Hound Dog" reels surface.

artfromtex likes this.
  16. MEMPHISSUN

Single disc off this set may be your answer?.

1. Promised Land
    2. I've Got a Thing About You Baby
    3. If You Talk in Your Sleep
    4. Raised on Rock
    5. Help Me
    6. I Got A Feelin' in My Body
    7. For Ol' Times Sake
    8. Talk About the Good Times
    9. Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues
    10. You Asked Me To
    11. Loving Arms
    12. Your Love's Been a Long Time Coming
    13. Spanish Eyes
    14. It's Midnight
    15. Find Out What's Happening
    16. Three Corn Patches
    17. My Boy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elvis-At-Stax-Presley/dp/B00COCY6DO/ref=mb_oe_a

17. PacificOceanBlue

Yeah, the new single disc compilation from the Stax sessions is very thorough. The Promised Land album is a very spotty affair like the other two Stax era studio albums. Go with the new single disc comp.

18. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I agree, but the reviews I have read of the setare quite positive which is a bit surprising to me, but nice to see.

19. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Thank You
    Is there much (or any) overlap between the Stax LP and the FTD Promised Land LP?

20. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The artwork looks good on the deluxe edition. I didn't realise it was going to be di-cut.

Good price too. :)

21. Rick H.

Rick H. Raised on AM Radio

Man it sounds good.....got the Deluxe

22. MEMPHISSUN

https://www.theelvisshoplondon.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=24868

Side A

1. Promised Land - takes 3, 4
    2. There's A Honky Tonk Angel (Who Will Take Me Back In) - take 4 + takes composite or 5, 3, 8
    3. Help Me - take 1 (fs + remixed master)
    4. Mr. Songman - take 2
    5. Love Song Of The Year - take 1
    6. Promised Land
    Side B

1. 1. It's Midnight - take 7 (3:45)
    2. Your Love's Been A Long Time Coming - take 10 (3:54)
    3. If You Talk In Your Sleep - take 5 (2:28)
    4. Thinking About You - take 4 (4:03)
    5. You Asked Me To - take 3A (3:31)
    6. There's A Honky Tonk Angel (Who Will Take Me Back In) - take 1
    Disc 2

Side C

1. Promised Land - take 5 (3:37)
    2. Love Song Of The Year - takes 3, 4, 6
    3. It's Midnight - take 11 (3:23)
    4. You Asked Me To - take 2B (3:54)
    5. Thinking About You - take 3 (4:06)
    Side D

1. If You Talk In Your Sleep - take 9 (undubbed master)
    2. You Asked Me To - takes 1, 2A
    3. There's A Honky Tonk Angel (Who Will Take Me Back In) - takes 6, 7
    4. Mr. Songman - takes 3, 5
    5. Promised Land - take 6 (undubbed master)

23. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

My Stax LP hasn't arrived yet and I am unfamiliar with the Promised Land release. I was about to order it direct from Shop Elvis site but at $40 plus shipping wanted to avoid duplicate tracks.

24. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

I got the time to open up my package last night - VERY IMPRESSIVE!! There are two things within the slipcase: a "trifold" cardboard CD wallet that is apparently made to look like containers for the original tape reels. Then there's the book. The book ALONE is worth the price for this set. Very well written, and lots of photographs, original letters and other little "tidbits" that - aside from the amazing material on the CD's - make this (in my opinion) - one of the greatest ELVIS releases ever.

It's certainly currently MY favorite Elvis release.

mikrt17, Clanceman and celticbob like this.
  25. PacificOceanBlue

I heard the book/liner notes fail to mention Elvis' drug abuse issues as having an influence on the sessions and performances. If true, that is some serious revisionist history going on to spin the realities of the Stax sessions and era into a 'new' perception.

hodgo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.