Elvis' Best Country flavored Comp?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark H, Sep 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member Thread Starter

After searching over the last few days here, and at the All Music site, I've come up with a short list of comps to cover the highlights of Elvis' post comeback career. Any suggestions or improvements would be appreciated.
    First off Steve's two Elvis cds have spoiled me so I know I'm headed for trouble to begin with.

I'm not really interested in the Live stuff and I know the Boxed Master sets are a mixed bag. I'm looking at "Suspicious Minds"
    "Tomorrow is a Long Time" the" Burning Love" remaster and one called "Country Rock". Will that pretty much cover the highlights of the post '68 period or is there a glaring omission?

Damn and I thought the Beatles stuff was confusing.

2. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Dennis Drake has done some stuff for Time Life. Others on the board probably would have more info.

3. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I've always liked "Elvis Country" released in 1971. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound as good as the DCC stuff, but what does?

4. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The post-comeback studio music is pretty much summarized by TOMORROW IS A LONG TIME, SUSPICIOUS MINDS, and the expanded BURNING LOVE. None of these albums was released in these configurations during his lifetime.

However, you'll want to get on half.com or other Internet source and pick up Volumes Four and Five of the out-of-print ESSENTIAL ELVIS series, A HUNDRED YEARS FROM NOW and RHYTHM & COUNTRY. These are alternate takes, but don't let that fool's gold description fool you. Elvis insisted on singing with a band, so he was recorded live in the studio, to which producers could later add strings or extract vocals, etc. These are the real tapes, and their spontaneity and charm are infectious. These two discs are as good as any of the collections listed above, and I play them more often than any other Elvis I own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.