Elvis Costello and the Imposters: Look Now (2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Jul 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Elvis Costello is clearly one of Rock’s great figures with a catalog of thirty completely varied studio albums. Some fans ride the the entire ocean of EC to be sure and hit every wave. Others have defined favorites (I think his first five are the untouchables!) in regard to music style and era. Regardless, Elvis Costello is an enduring figure in our Rock history.

Look Now will be issued on CD, a Deluxe Edition, and standard and HD DD. (I’m sure a vinyl LP is in the works as well!) The Deluxe Edition will provide an additional four songs, one an Elvis Costello solo tune from the film, Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool.

theMess, DME1061, anth67 and 26 others like this.
  2. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Terrific news! :goodie:

3. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Instant purchase for me!

Octowen and RandyP like this.
  4. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

Look Now...just not at that cover

5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Yep, must buy. I need to have You Shouldn't Look at Me that way, even if it's the best song

dee, Octowen and chickendinna like this.
  6. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Totally in.

7. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I have everything else.........this is definite.

Now how about the tracklist? :)

Octowen likes this.
  8. Longers

Longers Forum Resident

As a completist i.e. big fan, yes !
    Wasn't there a recent thread about album covers potentially harming sales ? <ducks and runs>

Octowen likes this.
  9. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Yeah, that cover. What the hell?

George P, Frosst, moople72 and 3 others like this.
  10. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

That cover is Knocked Out Loaded territory. I'm guessing the music won't be.

Frosst, MikeT, Octowen and 4 others like this.
  11. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

Different cover. I have every main album by Elvis some in various formats. I have to admit after All this Useless Beauty I haven't listened to the albums more than a few times and than I put it away not to be listened to. Before that Elvis was an artist I just couldn't get enough of his latest releases. After a long wait let's hope this is a good one. I would be thrilled for a great album.

zane7570 and somnar like this.
  12. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

Yes, this is such exciting news! I cannot wait for a new Elvis Costello album to listen to. This is actually the first new Elvis Costello album that has come out since I discovered him a few years ago.

13. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Can’t wait, I have everything he’s put out( not to mention the underground stuff and live shows) It’s been way too long since he’s released a new album so this is very welcome news. I just hope he’s completely healthy. Elvis is King!

14. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Release date?

15. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I’m hoping for some more loud rock and roll from EC, like on When I Was Cruel.

16. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

really glad he recorded w/ the Impostors again. I the musicianship on Momofuku was incredibly good. can't believe that was 10 years ago...

dee, e.s., Octowen and 1 other person like this.
  17. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

However I would take a healthy Elvis over a great album. Both would be awesome however.

audiotom, majorlance, anodyne and 2 others like this.
  18. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

October 12, reportedly.

dee and Mr. D like this.
  19. anodyne

anodyne Forum Resident

Per musictap.net :

Look Now – Elvis Costello & The Imposters

01 – Under Lime
    02 – Don't Look Now
    03 – Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter
    04 – Stripping Paper
    05 – Unwanted Number
    06 – I Let the Sun Go Down
    07 – Mr. & Mrs. Hush
    08 – Photographs Can Lie
    09 – Dishonor The Stars
    10 – Suspect My Tears
    11 – Why Won’t Heaven Help Me?
    12 – He’s Given Me Things

Deluxe Edition Add

13 – Isabelle In Tears
    14 – Adieu Paris (L’Envie Des Etoiles)
    15 – The Final Mrs. Curtain
    16 – You Shouldn’t Look At Me That Way [Elvis Costello]

Claudio Dirani, popscene, dee and 7 others like this.
  20. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

@DeeThomaz just sent me this link:

New Elvis Costello & The Imposters Album, Look Now | …essential

NEW ELVIS COSTELLO & THE IMPOSTERS ALBUM, LOOK NOW
    23 JULY, 2018 MAROWE

Elvis Costello is clearly one of Rock’s great figures with a catalog of thirty completely varied studio albums. Some fans ride the the entire ocean of EC to be sure and hit every wave. Others have defined favorites (I think his first five are the untouchables!) in regard to music style and era. Regardless, Elvis Costello is an enduring figure in our Rock history.

[​IMG]

On October 12, Elvis Costello will release his newest album, Look Now. It will be with his current band, The Imposters. The new album will feature twelve new songs (see list below) and will be issued in a variety of forms via Concord Records. Elvis Costello & The Imposters have previously delivered two albums, The Delivery Man(2004), and Momofuku (2008).

Look Now will be issued on CD, a Deluxe Edition, and standard and HD DD. (I’m sure a vinyl LP is in the works as well!) The Deluxe Edition will provide an additional four songs, one an Elvis Costellosolo tune from the film, Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool.

Pre-release singles will be released shortly (“Under Lime”, “Unwanted Number”)

Look Now – Elvis Costello & The Imposters

01 – Under Lime
    02 – Don;t Look Now
    03 – Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter
    04 – Stripping Paper
    05 – Unwanted Number
    06 – I Let the Sun Go Down
    07 – Mr. & Mrs. Hush
    08 – Photographs Can Lie
    09 – Dishonor The Stars
    10 – Suspect My Tears
    11 – Why Won’t Heaven Help Me?
    12 – He’s Given Me Things
    Deluxe Edition Add
    13 – Isabelle In Tears
    14 – Adieu Paris (L’Envie Des Etoiles)
    15 – The Final Mrs. Curtain
    16 – You Shouldn’t Look At Me That Way [Elvis Costello]

It seems pretty much exactly like the album I was hoping it might be. "Unwanted Number" is an odd choice if it's the same old song from the "Grace Of My Heart" soundtrack he's played a couple times solo back in the day. Not sure why he's bothering to record it in the studio with the Imposters now instead of, say, "(Go Tell) Your Quiet Sister," which he played on the "Imperial Bedroom" tour and was a cool song that would have been great to hear done up right in the studio.

I see he finally recorded his Carol King cowrite, "Burnt Sugar.." which is fantastic. I've heard about 10 of these songs live and they're all really strong and perfect for a classic Nieve-led Imposters treatment. Hopefully he goes the classic "Trust/IB" lush ballad/torch route and doesn't get too modern or arty like he did on some of the "AYUB" tracks, which killed some great songs for me ("Little Atoms, "Distorted Angel," "It's Time").

REALLY looking forward to this.

Dave513, RandyP, e.s. and 4 others like this.
  21. Octowen

Octowen Forum Resident

Judging by the sound of “You Shouldn’t Look At Me That Way”, and the fact that three of the tracks were co-written by Burt Bacharach (“Don’t Look Now”, “Photographs Can Lie” and “He’s Given Me Things”, according to the Costello wiki), it seems like this’ll be an album in a similar style to “Imperial Bedroom” and “Painted From Memory”.

And I’m more than okay with that, seeing as those are two of my favorite Elvis Costello albums.

22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I like Imperial Bedroom. but I really was turned off by Painted from Memory. Part of it was Elvis' vibrato when he held any notes, but the songs sounded like it was operatic arias. You Shouldn't Look at me doesn't have any of that, so I'm hopeful. Burnt Sugar is a great song, glad to see that.

23. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

as much as that is great news for me it sort of dashes any hope that he will be doing another full album with burt.
    i worship "painted from memory" bummer.

jason202, somnar and Octowen like this.
  24. veon

veon Forum Resident

Excited for this... bummed ‘Last Year of My Youth’ isn’t here. I’ve been jonesing for a studio cut of that song since he premiered it on Letterman a few years back.

25. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

What format is "HD DD"? I googled it and the top result was for a Hindi TV channel. Then I binged it, and well, I don't recommend it especially if you have "SafeSearch" turned off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.