Elvis Costello and the Imposters: Look Now (2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Jul 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

No mention of the deluxe edition when I preordered from Amazon. Appears the 2LP edition isn't available for a couple of weeks. Typical ploy of getting fans to buy the album twice.

2. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

I was just reading an article/review in which the writer added "under (stage/theater) limelights" as a possible third meaning for the title, but it feels like a bit of a stretch and in the lyrics he only cues up the first two interpretations (alcohol/burial). That said, it is called "limelight" because the stage lights originally used quicklime.

Quincy and RayS like this.
  3. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

"They got songs for every occasion and a little limelight robbery" ("Ghost Train")

"Reversing back into the limelight, no one ever saw her even half-plastered" ("Stella Hurt")

jpmosu, Davido, RayS and 2 others like this.
  4. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

You say the vibrato sounds affected but to me his whole singing voice is affected. Listening to his interviews I’d never have put the two together. Don’t get me wrong, I really like his voice; full of character and passion; been a fan from the start, just saying

5. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Yes is says so on the sleeve notes but I’ve never seen an unsigned Bellman cut ie no CB in the deadwax on any side. Perhaps EU copies are actually cut by someone else. Had that crap with Jimi Hendrix releases in the past. Having said that my copy sounds wonderful. Eastwest studios claim studio 3 to have a lush sound (it’s where Pet Sounds was recorded) which explains a lot; it sure ain’t Armed Forces! Love it nonetheless.

6. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

$19.96 from a seller in the UK

Look Now (Deluxe 2CD) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07FSW11KJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_uZKXBbHK2S4ZQ

7. C. Ratliff

C. Ratliff Well-Known Member

Amazon's listings may have been confusing but every single announcement of the album from the back in the middle of summer included info about the deluxe edition, so if there was trickery afoot it wasn't on Costello's end of things. More likely just sloppy listings buried in Amazon's database than any actual attempt to trick fans into buying it more than once. And the 2LP was available on day of release both via record stores, elviscostello.com and I pre-ordered the deluxe version on CD via Amazon and it arrived last Friday morning...

e.s. and Marry a Carrot like this.
  8. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Is there any consensus on how the vinyl sounds compared with the CD?

Thanks.

9. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Wow, the man does like his lime.

After reading the article that suggested "in the spotlight" as another interpretation for "under lime", I couldn't help but think of the Chaplin movie "Limelight" - the story of a washed-up once-was enjoying one last moment in the spotlight (a la Jimmie in "Under Lime"?)

10. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

On the lime thing. As a greater observation, Costello makes TONS of earth sciences references. Here are a mere few of the references:

chemistry (class)

chemical reaction (burnt sugar being a recent example, sugar has been mentioned a lot on recent albums)

chemical compounds (turpentine, peroxide side, sulfur)

geologic references (precious jewels)

physics (little atoms)

Koabac and RayS like this.
  11. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

I saw both the standard and deluxe LPs when I looked for the album this weekend. (Ended up buying the standard - quite a price difference at my local stores, and the coins in my bank aren't plinking so loud these days, so, yeah.)

12. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It s great to have Costello back with a new great album.
    :)

13. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I can see it. Very E.C. to reference the limelight. Also to have three different meanings. No doubt about the alcohol.

14. grorr76

grorr76 Forum Resident

short answer night and day. Vinyl is more dynamic and tonally rich. I have the translucent green vinyl from his website

15. C. Ratliff

C. Ratliff Well-Known Member

Q&A: Elvis Costello On His Health ("Great") and New Album 'Look Now'

(ALSO: to further address the idea that the deluxe edition is a trick to get fans to buy the album twice, here's another excerpt from that same interview...)

RayS likes this.
  16. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

So I‘m gonna get the vinyl. I love the new album, but the digital version I hear (via Tidal Hi-Fi) seems to be very compressed. I suspect a DR way below 10.

17. nsm

nsm Forum Resident

Indeed, loving this LP more & more with each listen, amazed & blessed to have two of my favourite artists Macca & EC release two fantastic albums, especially when i found their last few offerings lacking ( to me that is ).

nedwho likes this.
  18. cbucki

cbucki Forum Resident

"Is there any consensus on how the vinyl sounds compared with the CD"?

It's actually the loudest CD I own, which is surprising based on the content. I'd be shocked if anyone chose the digital over the vinyl for this title.

The content is excellent. I already know it will get played more than anything he's released since "When I Was Cruel".

Album of the Year (new material) of 2018 for me.

19. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

I wasn’t impressed by the sound quality streaming on Amazon so I guess vinyl it is.

Thanks all.

20. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Easily the best EC album in many years. I think I like this better than everything past The Delivery Man. Just enjoyable from start to finish.

22. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I’m looking forward to being underwhelmed by the vinyl and CD soundwise. :cheers:

23. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Just listened to the vinyl version, and although it sounds good, you can hear the compression (compromised dynamics) on the louder more rocking cuts.

srsch likes this.
  24. srsch

srsch Senior Member

Agreed. It's well recorded and mixed but could be mastered better. It needs some air on the high end. Still, artistically it is one hell of an album.

25. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Can't argue with any of that.

Generally, the CD mastering has pretty much stunk on his non-reissue releases for decades now. It's a real shame.

(I cannot speak to the vinyls.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.