Elvis Costello Reissue Madness

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by InStepWithTheStars, Jun 16, 2014.

1. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Which ones, and how many is "plenty"?

Really the only point i was making is that Trust was assigned a catalog number,
    putting it into the sequence about 3 years ago. The other EC albums were released.
    But i don't really know what you mean by "go by" the numbers, it's simply what
    they intend to release, yes?

273 1 x 33 Isaac Hayes Hot Buttered Soul
    274 1 x 33 Cars Cars S/T
    275 2 x 33 Dave Alvin Blackjack David
    276 2 x 33 Alison Krauss So Long So Wrong
    277 1 x 33 John Lennon Imagine
    278 1 x 33 Aimee Mann Lost In Space
    279 1 x 33 Los Lobos Good Morning Aztlan
    280 1 x 33 John Lennon Plastic Ono Band
    281 3 x 33 Alison Krauss Live Union Station (3lps)
    282 1 x 33 Aimee Mann Bachelor No. 2
    283 1 x 33 John Lennon & Yoko Live in Toronto
    284 1 x 33 Madeleine Peyroux Careless Love
    285 2 x 33 Megadeth Countdown To Extinction
    286 1 x 33 Gerry Mulligan meets Scott Hamilton Soft lights & Sweet Music
    287 1 x 33 Little Richard Here's Little Richard
    288 2 x 33 Madeleine Peyroux Half The Perfect World
    289 1 x 33 McCoy Tyner Sahara
    290 1 x 33 Coleman Hawkins The Hawk Flies High
    291 1 x 33 Marc Cohn Marc Cohn
    292 1 x 33 Cowboy Junkies Whites Off Earth Now!
    293 1 x 33 John Lennon Mind Games
    294 1 x 33 Marshall Crenshaw Marshall Crenshaw
    295 1 x 33 Foghat Fool For the City
    296 1 x 33 Pixies Surfer Rosa
    297 1 x 33 Art Pepper …The Way it Was!
    298 1 x 33 Milt Jackson Sextet Invitation
    299 1 x 33 Little Feat Little Feat S/T
    300 1 x 33 Linda Ronstadt Don't Cry Now
    301 1 x 33 Allman Brothers Idlewild South
    302 1 x 33 Rush Permanent Waves
    303 1 x 33 Santana Santana S/T
    304 2 x 33 Roy Orbison All-Time Greatest Hits
    305 1 x 33 Santana Abraxas
    306 1 x 33 Linda Ronstadt Prisoner In Disguise
    307 1 x 33 Little Feat Sailin' Shoes
    308 2 x 33 Beck Sea Change (black) Pink - nov 2012
    309 1 x 33 Pixies Doolittle
    310 1 x 33 Faith No More Angel Dust
    311 1 x 33 Pixies Bossanova
    312 2 x 33 Frank Sinatra Live in Paris
    313 1 x 33 Frank Sinatra Sinatra and Strings
    314 1 x 33 Marvin Gaye What's Going On
    315 1 x 33 Marvin Gaye Let's Get it On
    316 2 x 33 Michael Brecker Pilgrimage
    317 1 x 33 Frank Sinatra Nice & Easy
    318 2 x 33 Patricia Barber Mythologies
    319 1 x 33 Linda Ronstadt Hasten Down The Wind
    320 1 x 33 Little Feat Dixie Chicken
    321 1 x 33 Linda Ronstadt Simple Dreams
    322 2 x 33 Little Feat Waiting for Columbus (live)
    323 2 lp Madeleine Peyroux Bare Bones
    324 1 x 33 Cars Candy-O
    325 1 x 33 Cars Shake it up
    326 1 x 33 Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely
    327 2 x 33 Patricia Barber The Cole Porter Mix
    328 1 x 33 Rickie Lee Jones Pirates
    329 1 x 33 Elvis Costello My Aim is True
    330 1 x 33 Elvis Costello This Year's Model
    331 1 x 33 Elvis Costello Armed Forces
    332 2 x 33 Frank Sinatra Sinatra Live at the Sands
    333 1 x 33 Frank Sinatra Sinatra's Sinatra
    334 1 x 33 Elvis Costello Get Happy!
    335 1 x 33 Elvis Costello Almost Blue
    337 1 x 33 Ray Charles The Genius Sings the Blues
    338 1 x 33 Foreigner Foreigner S/T
    339 1 x 33 Pretenders Learning to Crawl
    340 1 x 33 Elvis Costello Trust

2. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

There is one track I have never seen mentioned. It is from the This Year's Model LP record issued in Sweden. It has a sped up version of Watching The Detectives.

3. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

D'oh! Should've checked out the catalog number before I opened my big trap. Anyhoo, they assign numbers way ahead of time and sometimes I'm wondering if they're ever gonna release it. Barry Manilow is # 415 and I don't know if it's still on the schedule or not. Same with the Silver Label Series.

DeRosa likes this.
  4. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Listening right now to the live tracks on disc two of the Tour Edition of Painted From Memory. Very nice indeed. I have been generally leery of EC's vocal mannerisms (excess vibrato, ahem) since the 1990s and I'm no special fan of Bacharach (I know: my bad. Whatever.). But these tracks are lovely and nicely performed!

My EC collection is quite excellent through 1999, but I have entirely passed on the 2000-present period.
    It makes me wonder what the highlights have been of the past 15 years. Post-peak EC is one case (and there are others, of course) where I would give more trust to the SHMF consensus than to allmusic or to pitchfork. Any recommendations along the lines "If you had to recommend one post-1999 Costello release, what would it be..."? TIA, RH

5. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

There's 2 different cd singles for "Toledo" from PFM that have 2 live tracks each for a total of four from this tour, all recorded in Perth or Sydney. They are from Elvis's solo portion of the tour <which I attended in Wash DC> with just some guy named Steve Nieve accompanying him on piano.
    http://www.discogs.com/Elvis-Costello-With-Burt-Bacharach-Toledo/master/272253

They are :
    Such Unlikely Lovers
    Baby Plays Around

Tears At The Birthday Party
    Inch By Inch/Fever.

I have a Japan cd with that bonus live cd - it's not listed on Discogs for some reason. Very nice indeed.

http://www.discogs.com/Elvis-Costello-With-Burt-Bacharach-Painted-From-Memory/master/59906

I just discovered that track 1 from the bonus cd is from the Conan O'Brian show - never knew that.

Rob Hughes likes this.
  6. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you Thread Starter

King of America may be utterly flawless. Or maybe it's just because the last three songs leave me breathless. "Eisenhower Blues", "Poisoned Rose", and "The Big Light" are kind of expendable. Still, I wouldn't want to get rid of them.

7. Interesting! I really did not like this album back in the day. Costello lost me with 'Goodbye Cruel World' and 'King of America'. That said I have not listened to KoA since the mid 80's. I think he redeemed himself with 'Blood & Chocolate'. Now there is a great album IMO.

Echo likes this.
  8. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Elvis has kind of lost me in the past few years too, but When I Was Cruel is excellent, imo. It seems like every decade or so Elvis puts out a good old "basher"; in 1986 it was Blood & Chocolate, in 1994 it was Brutal Youth, and in 2002 it was When I Was Cruel. He put out another pretty good one in Momofuku (2008). His Hurricane Katrina-inspired collaboration with Allen Toussaint (The River In Reverse) is very good, and the slightly Americana-leaning The Delivery Man has some great tracks on it.

After that, I'm afraid, it's been diminishing returns, on a very steep curve. But that's just me -- I know that National Ransom, Sugarcane and Wise Up Ghost all have their ardent defenders. I'm sure I could make a solid hour-long playlist from the three that I'd enjoy, but frankly I'm just not inspired enough to do it.

Rob Hughes likes this.
  9. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you Thread Starter

Interesting. Blood And Chocolate is the one that I didn't like on first listen and haven't really listened to since. "Tokyo Storm Warning" is great, but nothing else on that album captured my attention. I need to listen again.

10. dee

dee Senior Member

+1 on When I Was Cruel and Momofuku

Rob Hughes likes this.
  11. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

KoA and Blood & Chocolate were both released the same year. Those are 2 wonderful albums that couldn't be more dissimilar. When was the last time an artist did something like that?

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I felt the opposite about the 1986 albums. I liked "KoA" a lot - still do - but never got into "B&C", and that one still leaves me cold.

"B&C" seemed like a major disappointment at the time. Even while I liked "KoA", I was excited about a more straightforward "rock album", but "B&C" just didn't do it for me...

kwadguy and jsayers like this.
  13. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Make that plus two. Sean's description is right on the money for me. Ransom & Sugarcane, in particular, bored me to tears.

14. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I love you guys, but I can't believe it's beginning to seem like I'm the only person left who thinks National Ransom might not be just his best post 1999 album, but ranks highly amongst his finest work.

15. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

It's EC's yin & yang!

The only thing it reminds me of offhand is Dylan's amazing 1965, which saw both Bringing It All Back Home and Highway 61 Revisited. I'm sure there are tons of other examples, though.

PS: I'm interpreting this not to mean just albums released in the same year, but also contrasting career triumphs.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  16. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

So: if I pick up the standard edition When I Was Cruel (love that title...) plus Cruel Smile, will I be set? Or is there a special edition I need to look out for? TIA, RH

17. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

There actually is a special 2CD edition of WIWC. But the second disc is just an abbreviated version of Cruel Smile.

Rob Hughes likes this.
  18. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

jsayers and DeeThomaz like this.
  19. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Me too. An advance review mentioned several unreleased songs are mentioned in the book, so it seems reasonable to suspect some unreleased recordings could be included.

dee and GetHappy!! like this.
  20. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I have a Japan cd of Cruel Smile with an extra track, I believe. Looks like "Tart (acoustic)".

Rob Hughes and DeeThomaz like this.
  21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I have a version of When I Was Cruel with Oh Well--very good track.

Rob Hughes likes this.
  22. dee

dee Senior Member

I am with ya on National Ransom being a good one or on one I like. Maybe a couple songs too long and maybe a tad all over the place at times as a result of those two to four extra, but there's got to be an lp worth of goodies there!

Jimmie Standin In The Rain
    Church Underground
    Voice in the Dark
    All These Strangers
    Bullets for the Newborn King
    Josephine
    and a few others???

I like the title song but not the arrangement so much. I like 5 Small Words though. Or is it 3 :).

DeeThomaz likes this.
  23. Sean Murdock

Yep, and Cruel Smile is a great disc in its own right. Great companion to WIWC.

Rob Hughes likes this.
  24. Sean Murdock

I'll listen to it again with fresh ears and report back. I just listened to Wise Up Ghost for the first time in forever and liked a few tracks. Problem with these past few albums for me is, after I've given it a "new listen" I never feel pulled to play it again right away, so the songs never really sink in.

25. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

The title track has been re-arranged a couple times since then. Including the version heard on the live CD of the Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook disc.

dee likes this.