Elvis (Costello) to host Late Night Wed. 3/12/2003

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

While Dave is out with the shingles

2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

WOW! Thanks for the heads up, I'm catching that one for sure.
    Dan C

3. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

He's gotta be better than McEnroe, that's for sure.....!:laugh:

Poor Dave. I've heard the shingles can be extremely painful.

4. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident

Kick ass!! I always think it's cool to see a musician not limited to strictly playing a song. Just in time for the arrival of my mint UK Armed Forces to replace my crappy US one.

5. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

Paul Simon is the musical guest tonight, March 11th.

6. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

So who saw the show last night? I thought Elvis held his own, for the most part -- opening with that rewrite of "Alison", waffling a bit in his Kim Catrell interview, and picking up the pace with Eddie Izzard.
    I thought the ending rendition of "What's So Funny 'Bout Peace Love and Understanding" was great.

7. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

What a great show! Elvis Costello is multi-talented. What a real treat to have him host.

8. stereoptic

After the Eddie Izzard interview, I closed my eyes "just while the commercials are on" - you know the rest - I missed the rest of the show. :(

Elvis was excellent, quite well rehearsed. He caught Kim C. by surprise by quoting her "Elvis" remark in a magazine interview (I didn't quite catch what she was referring to)

9. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

I thought Elvis was incredibly witty and a gracious host to boot. He keeps on surprising me with new dimensions to his talent.

10. sgraham

sgraham New Member

That was great fun. I wasn't expecting it, just channel surfing, and... What's this? Isn't that Elvis Costello? Loved his little song for David.

11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Elvis did a fantastic job subbing for Dave, IMO. He was charming, intelligent, and funny. The song was cool, the interview with Kim Cattrell was great, and even Eddie was alright. Hope he can do it again!

12. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I thought Elvis was really good, especially for someone who never did anything like that before. He looked like a seasoned vet compared to Bruce Willis. :rolleyes: There's a guy who is really lost without a script. I bet you if EC had a chance to host a few more times he would be fantastic. Peace, Love & Understanding kicked ass too.

13. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Interesting that Dave had shingles. I had tuned in the previous week to see a friend of mine do his stupid human trick (he was the guy who jumped on to the beer cans) and Dave kept remarking about his eye closing, which is a symptom of shingles. It affects the trigeminal facial nerve.
    Anyway, I thought Elvis was great. He was a little bit nervous and hurried the guests a bit, interrupting them with his next question. He made some great jokes with all of them, and made sure the comic didn't get bumped. The joke about 'Elvis' with Kim was that she had a crush on Elvis Presley but since she only said 'Elvis' Costello was trying to get himself in there.
    What can you say about his musical performance other than it was a great encore and I wish we could have seen the whole show. A perfect choice of tunes given the world situation, and he put in a line about needing peace love and understanding as a lesson to the children of the world. It gave me a chill.

14. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

I think it's interesting that several of the online news services kept running the story of Dave's shingles with a photo of him kissing Norah Jones' hand.:)

I agree that Elvis did a surprsingly good job as host. Who knew he had it in him? But the musical performance (once they got the keyboard properly in the mix) was great, both for its quality and the comment it made on the world mood.

15. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I dunno, Kim Cattrall's dress sure woke me up! ;)

16. stereoptic

I guess it gave me a reason to dream!!:D

17. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

That line actually comes directly from Brinsley Schwarz's original version of "Peace, Love and Understanding."

18. RDK

RDK Active Member

I'm bummed that I konked out shortly after Kim came out and missed Elvis doing PL&U. :(

Anyway, I thought EC was quite good in his talk show host debut. (Better than many others that I've seen.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.