Elvis Film by Film Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Raylinds, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Is Loving You on Netflix??

3. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I'll have to see if my library has "Loving You" in their collection of Elivs titles. I haven't seen this one in years.

4. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Are we on to "Change of Habit" yet?

5. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Loving You. A great fun film, and loaded with great songs. All in vibrant color. What's not to love?
    5/5

6. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

"Loving You" is my favorite of the Elvis films of the 50's....perhaps because I recored it off of KNBC back in 1978 on Beta as a kid and played the hell out of it. About 10 years ago, a 35mm dye transfer tech print was screened at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood, and for all the flaws the print had, the film was nothing short of amazing on the big screen.

Shawn likes this.
  7. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

We NEED to continue!

8. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I haven't seen this one in years. It never seems to be on TCM or Netflix

9. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Many of you probably know this, but during the climactic "Got a Lotta Livin' to Do" number, Elvis's parents can be seen as extras in the audience.

10. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Reportedly, he never saw the finished version of Jailhouse Rock, because of the terrifying young death of his co-star, Judy Tyler.

Could you really blame him, though? I'd feel the same way if I was in his shoes. It is similar to how Katharine Hepburn never saw the finished version of Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, because of the death of her co-star, and long-time close friend, Spencer Tracy.

11. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Great idea for a thread. Let's breath some life into this .... Hands down my favorite EP film. (King Creole is my next) Loving You needs a Blu Ray release especially as it was filmed in Technicolor and Panavision this could look stunning. I bought a copy on ebay from the UK recently as the put this movie as a freebee in the UK daily mail. NBC owns this why it's not in print in the USA ???

artfromtex likes this.
  12. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Indeed we do!

clhboa likes this.
  13. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

[​IMG]
    From Wiki
    Jailhouse Rock is a 1957 American musical drama film directed byRichard Thorpe and starring Elvis Presley, Judy Tyler, and Mickey Shaughnessy. Distributed by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) and dramatized by Guy Trosper from a story written by Nedrick Young, the film is about a young man sentenced to prison for manslaughter who is mentored in music by his prison cellmate who realizes his musical abilities. After his release from jail, while looking for a job as a club singer, the young man meets a musical promoter who helps him launch his career. As he develops his musical abilities and becomes a star, his self-centered personality begins to affect his relationships.

The wife of producer Pandro S. Berman convinced him to create a film with Presley in the last role. Berman delegated the casting to Benny Thau, head of the studio and Abraham Lastfogel, the then president of William Morris Agency. Berman hired Richard Thorpe, who was known for shooting productions quickly. The production of Jailhouse Rock began on May 13, 1957, and concluded on June 17 of that year. The dance sequence to the film's title song "Jailhouse Rock" is often cited as "Presley's greatest moment on screen".

Before pre-production began, songwriters Mike Stoller and Jerry Leiberwere commissioned to integrate the film's soundtrack. In April, Leiber and Stoller were called for a meeting in New York City to show the progress of the repertoire. The writers, who had not produced any material, toured the city and were confronted in a hotel room by Jean Aberbach, who locked them into their hotel room by blocking the hotel room door with a sofa until they wrote the material. Presley recorded the soundtrack at Radio Recorders in Hollywood on April 30 and May 3, with an additional session at the MGM Soundstage on May 9. During post-production, the songs were dubbed into the films scenes, in which Presley mimed the lyrics.

Jailhouse Rock premiered on October 17, 1957 in Memphis, Tennesseeand was released nationwide on November 8, 1957. It peaked at number 3 on the Variety box office chart, and reached number 14 in the year's box office totals, grossing $4 million. Jailhouse Rock earned mixed reviews, with most of the negative reception directed towards Presley's persona. In 2004, the film was selected for preservation in the National Film Registry.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

alexpop likes this.
  14. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Is the comeback 1968 special from 1o years ago still available,all threads related to it are closed ? Also, is there new Elvis live shows / product DVDS/blu ray's coming out in 2017?

16. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Looks like the DVD may be out of print, but copies are readily available from third-party sellers at somewhat inflated prices. Plenty of listings on ebay for both the single-disc and the 3-disc DVDs, and they're not all overpriced.

alexpop likes this.
  17. alexpop

Just a shame their not available in b&m stores. You'd think with the Christmas market it would be a no brainier.

18. alexpop

This thread needs a lotta love.

JamieC likes this.
  19. alexpop

[​IMG]
    Greatest moment on screen ...indeed!!!

20. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

alexpop likes this.
  21. alexpop

Should have bought these a decade ago.
    Pricey for sure.I always thought they would be steadily in print. In the sixties a decade was 10 very long years, now it's gone in a blink of a eye. Thanks for links. Looks like these DVD /BD live shows are the holy grail, nothing to come out in the near future I would imagine.

22. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Great idea for a thread. I haven't seen many of these in years. "Love Me Tender" is one of those. So I guess I'll go from memory...

I know it doesn't get the greatest reviews but as a western fan I've always enjoyed it. Sure, the songs seem like an afterthought (and except for the title track, kind of weak) but overall not a bad start to a film career.

I haven't seen "Loving You in a while either. I remember seeing it for the 1st time in the 70's when they aired it in prime time. Features a fantastic soundtrack. The way the songs are presented in the film totally works. From this angle it's probably second to only "Jailhouse Rock". If they would rerelease it I would buy it in a heartbeat. As far as the story goes I remember that I seemed to enjoy it more as an adult than as a kid. Also his red and white western stage outfit is the coolest!

"Jailhouse Rock" is one his 2 best movies IMHO. For me it's a toss up between this and "King Creole". Elvis looks really cool in this movie. The soundtrack is fantastic. Enjoyable story line and Elvis has some great lines (love the discussion on modern jazz). Judy Tyler (formerly of the Howdy Doody Show) is very underrated. She does a great job in the movie and was a total babe. Too bad her life ended so tragically. I have this on dvd (and vhs) and enjoy watching it from time to time. Lately it has been nudging out "King Creole" as my favorite. The only downside is Elvis's ridiculous mannerisms while singing "You're So Square (Baby I Don't Care).

23. alexpop

Viva Las Vagas for me.
    Ann-Margret & Elvis Presley
    win win
    grin grin.

GuildX700 likes this.
  24. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I want this thread to succeed if only to see it make it to Girl Happy or Speedway...(I love the middle period silly ones) Jailhouse is terrific and Elvis's acting matched the song quality...if only it had stayed at that level! but then we wouldnt have Clambake

bpmd1962 likes this.
  25. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

$49 for the 3-DVD set is actually a decent price, especially for a set that is now OOP. I don't think it was ever priced much lower than this when it was originally released.

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.