Elvis mono mix revelation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Jan 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

On a mix CD, I heard what I believe is the mono single mix of Elvis' 1962 hit Return to Sender. What a great sound! It's akin to the great unfutzed with sound on the original UK mono single of Ask Me Why, which is fantastic- even on the MP3 provided on this board!

Anyone else hear this or similar good Elvis mixes?

BTW, according to Elvis lore, he always hated it when his voice was mixed too far front. On the mono mix of Bossa Nova Baby (another great, detailed mix), it sounds like his wish was respected, far more than the stereo mixes.

2. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Hi Joel. I could be wrong, but I thought all of Elvis' 60's tracks were mixed to stereo and folded down for mono singles and albums. Can anyone else confirm or deny this?

3. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Yes! I believe Steve said that the MONOs were no different than the STEREO mixes.

4. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Some songs sound a lot drier, no reverb. "Suspicious Minds" has a reprise edited out of the stereo mix. I'm not so sure that all of them were mixdowns.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No, only Bill Porter RCA Nashville mono mixes are fold-downs of stereo. Radio Recorders prepared a unique mono and stereo mix of the songs recorded there.

6. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

...and Suspicious Minds wasn't available in stereo for a long time after it charted; it was one of the elusive "where the heck is the stereo for that one???" songs...

7. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

... until Elvis Greatest Hits Vol. 1 (1981), that is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.