Elvis Presley 24 karat DCC VS SACD other classic rock

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sa5150, Dec 7, 2017.

1. sa5150

sa5150 New Member Thread Starter

Hi , I 'm new here . I want to buy one of these but since the dcc is very expensive I want to make the right choice . I was able to download a few songs to try out and to me i'm getting night and day results the DCC is much much better . is this possible or am I getting the wrong downloads for the SACD . Obviously it is the cd layer and not the sacd but can it sound that bad ? I have much older recordings that sound much better then the cd layer of the sacd , what gives ? I though this would be easy other then heartbreak hotel and a sure winner for $30 But the dcc is priceless if that's really what it sounds like . I never heard a Elvis cd that good . I'm looking to start a SACD collection and need help picking out which are good and which are not worth it . I hope no one finds me annoying on this sight but I need help :) . And if anyone is wondering I do download songs to test the quality before I buy the physical media . This stuff is expensive and I have been burned one too many times buying the same cd over and over always thinking I got the best and ending up selling off my originals only to find out I may have to buy them back again (ugh!!!) . Some older gold cds that were suppose to be great I spent my hard earned money on in my late teens only to find out they were still compressed like the (Boston) Sony gold cds . I want to get it right this time... :). I'm into rock,pop rock,hard rock mostly .
    Some i'm eyeing are , Asia,Foreigner,Scorpions,Cars,Queen,Styx etc... . I'm very surprised there are no good quality Journey cds out there . They must be a band I may have to track down Vinyl of which I don't have a record player and a good system would start at a 2k for starters ... Unless there are some decent cds out there of them . The 06 remasters are horrid . Queen is a tuffy , I bought there stuff over an over , Makes my head spin . sorry for the long post and typos . Hope someone actually can make it through this whole post with some friendly advice .

ispace and yasujiro like this.
  2. stillrockin

stillrockin Active Member

I feel your pain.

Testing them out before buying sounds a great idea but beware that despite the claims exact audio copy is not necessarily that and there can always be subtle and less subtle differences between a clone and an original. On here you will find disputes about whether mobile fidelity ultradiscs made in Japan and the USA sound exactly the same.

Decide on a few albums you want to go for. Do your homework searching here on individual titles to get a feel for what people are saying about comparisons of different editions and of course set a budget.

I have bought a few super audio cds. Some sound better to my ears. Some less so. There is no absolute rule that a disc mastered by x engineer is the best any more than a disc manufactured by company y is the best. I actually generally like the Queen Japan made sacds that I have even though the dynamic range figures come out no higher than the 2011 remaster cds.

I have bought a few mobile fidelity gold cds on the used market. Some have been a marked improvement others less so. The handful of DCC cds I have bought have all sounded superb. And that includes the Elvis 24 karat one ( never had the sacd to compare).

Good luck!

sa5150 likes this.
  3. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

The DCC is great, but it wouldn't be hard to beat the SACD because it's a huge piece of crap.

McLover and sa5150 like this.
  4. sa5150

I can only hear the cd layer on the sacd and it's pure junk . Astonishing as some are saying it's the best ever . I do like him counting down the numbers on all shook up though , Were did they get that from ?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  5. sa5150

I'm going to just research Elvis for starters which may take a very long time ... lol .

I have owned many of his box sets and hits collections , I sold off my boxes when I hear some loud cds (I know better now) . So where to start with getting a lot of Songs like from a box , Maybe the Elvis 75 ?
    Then from there are there any single cd collection to seek out , Do I try and find The BMG-DSD cds or any of the Japan cds . I don't need to have every song ever . Like the 60 cd box I would not listen to every song they made him do for his movies . But some are cool . Is there a thread somewhere on here that all ready has these recommendations updated for 2017 . I have seen some lists but there not updated and lot has come out since .
    I all ready know that the DCC is a must but wow a new one is $100 ++ . How do the BMG DSD compare the 2 DCC . S.H really nailed it on those but now are some updated version I think that were found like for heartbreak hotel ?

6. The Hud

The Hud Seventh Hud of a Seventh Hud

I really like the 2-disc Deluxe Editions mastered by Vic Anesini. Great sound, lots of bonus tracks and fair price!

mpayan likes this.
  7. sa5150

So far I'm thinking that Elvis 75 3 disc is one heck of a collection .
    It's only $15 from Germany Amazon , Sound seems very good .

The 24 karat DCC is a must (second hand) .

What do you guys think of Hd tracks ? It looks as if the essential Elvis Hd tracks is lower in volume and maybe not brick-walled compared to the CD counterpart ?

Is that a good starting place ? Or do I need to seek out individual cds ? The FTD and DSD BMG , The Timelife stuff seems to be pretty well too (usually there just budget junk from) .
    The Japan stuff is hit and miss .

I have a interesting question , Why does suspicious minds sound so different on the number one hits cd from the late 80's with the awesome cover , It was one of my first cds ever but it's never been induced on anything after that .

What I love about it is the kick bass drum hits you ... It just jams !!! But the rest is muffled compared to what we know of today . I was always hoping that could take the new remasters and add that bass drum as a bonus track but it's been 30 years now and it's never been done . I have my own custom version that I made but you just don't get the whole giant range of one of the best songs ever made .

There so many Elvis cds it's mind boggling trying to keep track , and so many out of print .
    I think the only other singer another RCA artist Rick Springfield has more greatest hits from around the world that I can think of , Rca/bmg/sony has milked that one dry .

I wish loudness war database would have more stuff there missing 1000's of cds , I really hate when they list something and do not even know the source of where it came from . I use it as one source , Not that all high DR means the cd is great . I don't buy that , But it still nice to have as a reference guide . :) adobe audition is another nice tool to show you the spectrums and see how bad some some is clipped .

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    lbangs likes this.
  8. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

If you like that version of Suspicious Minds, then get The Memphis Record. Also Heartbreak Hotel sounds MUCH better on Elvis 75 than on 24 Karat Hits.

sa5150 likes this.
  9. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

This is true. I actually have a list somewhere of the best places to find all of Elvis's hits. It would sure come in handy right about now...

sa5150 likes this.
  10. sa5150

oldies.com has a huge cd sale . just wondering if any of the elvis are the ones people are talking about that are must haves , a lot are just $5 each . Search Results "elvis cd" | OLDIES.com

11. The Hud

The Hud Seventh Hud of a Seventh Hud

12. sa5150

The Hud likes this.
  13. Andreas

Andreas Forum Resident

True for this particular song because a much better source was used on the latter. For all other songs, the DCC 24 Karat Hits is still the preferred choice.

14. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Well-Known Member

The Elvis 24 karat LP (45 rpm) is the best I have ever heard him sound. Other than that. I go with the FTD releases. Best sound hands down for Elvis on CD.