Elvis Presley 68 Comeback Special - Will there be a 50th anniversary release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, Aug 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

Although this is some time away, Christmas 2018 would be the 50th anniversary of this historic tv special and it is tempting to speculate whether they will release a new edition to commemorate the anniversary.

As comprehensive as the 2004 deluxe dvd set is, I find it quite frustrating to watch as I find myself wishing that they edit all the constituent parts into a complete feature length edition. For example, the only way to watch the 'production' performances is to watch the original tv special, yet I would like to watch the complete 'sit down' and 'stand up' rather than highlights.

So I have always wished they would release a version that looks like this :
    Opening - Trouble / Guitar Man
    The complete stand up show
    The Gospel medley
    The complete sit down show
    The Guitar Man production medley
    If I Can Dream

What is also clear from the 2004 dvd is that everything was done at least twice - 2 stand up shows, 2 sit down shows, at least 2 complete takes of each song. So there is also scope for 2 versions of the whole tv special.

I know HBO are making a documentary for release next year which is to put the focus on his music. It would be great if this kick started an interest in releasing some of his filmed performances on blu ray.

A collection of his early tv performances, a comprehensive That's The Way It Is boxset ans Elvis On Tour boxset are also on my wishlist.

Hep Alien, supermd and willy like this.
  2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Anything is possible, but the 2008 audio box set is relatively complete. Any reissue would contain mostly recycled material. As far as a DVD reissue, perhaps a new edit/expansive compilation could be produced, but again, one has to wonder how much potential there is at retail for such a concept in 2018. Expansive reissues of TTWII and EOT remain missing in action because MGM does not see a market for justifying the expense of producing such sets.

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Recent publicity of dropping sales of Elvis' output say no. Besides, the 2008 DVD set has more than I ever cared to see. Elvis burps, and scratches his nose ? No.

4. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

Indeed I seem to remember the Estate said they were keen to release deluxe versions of TTWII and EOT in the same way they released the Comeback Special and Aloha from Hawaii but are powerless to do so.

The record company (or indeed film company) are only going to release anything if they consider there to be enough interest which is why I am hoping the HBO documentary will generate some interest amongst the media and the wider public.

Apparently he is on course to being number one in the UK album charts for just another greatest hits collection this week so maybe the interest is there.

5. Crungy

Crungy Forum Resident

I've been holding off on a DVD purchase for some time in hope of a future Blu-Ray release. Any word if any of the Elvis videos will make the leap to Blu-Ray? I'm Blu-Ray only for the past 5 years unless I have no choice...

longdist01 and supermd like this.
  6. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

In 2018 I'd love to see a re-release of this - the definitive director's cut of the 68 Special - Steve Binder's extended 73 minute edit, (which I prefer over the 2006 single disc DVD) with all the bells and whistles that this historic special deserves.

Blu ray, audio commentaries from Scotty Moore & D.J Fontana - recorded a few years ago, but still sitting in the vaults - and all the other participants who are still alive. Any takers? Could work post the HBO special...

[​IMG]

Hep Alien, longdist01, Crungy and 3 others like this.
  7. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

How about a '68 Special deluxe box contain EVERYTHING like the TTWII deluxe box from a few years ago? Here's my imagined artwork I posted on FECC a while ago!! :agree:

[​IMG]

Edit: Woah! My artwork is bigger than I anticipated. Erm, sorry, I'm not sure how to make it smaller...
    :sigh:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  8. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

I don't think an extended fan-edit would serve any purpose.
    I don't think they can improve the boxed DVD set, and there's no reason at all to put it out on blu-ray, given the resolution of the original videotape.

9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Do cows eat grass?

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

There are some additional recordings from Western Recorders, but I suspect a lot of what remains are false-starts and incomplete snippets of material. It was a major Elvis Presley event and career moment, so it is entirely possible that Sony will revisit the NBC Singer Presents project, but the 2008 anniversary edition was pretty comprehensive. Even if it does get a reissue of some sort, I do not expect it to be revelatory.

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

Probably best chance is nothing happening or maybe a Legacy style release geared toward the mass market that has less than the big box but more than a single cd.

If they did do something deluxe....I think a big box combining all the audio, all the video (preferably Blu Ray with commentaries, etc.) and a nice hardback book could make for a great package. However, with most of the hardcore fans already having the deluxe dvd and cd sets you've got to wonder how much of a market there would be for a package with very little new to offer?

Hep Alien and melstapler like this.
  12. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I doubt that there will be anything since the well has been pretty much tapped dry on the Comeback Special. Plus, Ernst stated in a recent interview that the big Elvis project for 2018 would be “The Searcher”.

13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I'm in the exact same boat. Bring on the blu-ray!

On a side note, was this filmed on film or video? Could the blu-ray improve the picture quality much?

14. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Don't think so except perhaps the added space might allow less compression. (especially on really large screens) Same w/ Aloha. Shot on video. (modern mastering and restoration tools couldn't hurt) What CAN be improved is the audio. Would easily purchase just for hi-rez multi-channel audio. The very lossy DD 5.1 on Aloha is pretty spectacular. A hi-rez version would be most welcome!!

15. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

double post

16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I figured as much. Thanks.

17. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

I agree that the extended box set is comprehensive enough. I was thinking more about the single disc version, which isn't a patch on the extended Steve Binder version that hasn't got an upgrade yet. The audio commentaries could be revelatory don't you think? They've been recorded, so let's hear them!

IndyTodd likes this.
  18. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Yeah, hard to imagine what else they could do

19. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Has the Comeback Special ever been released on Blu-Ray? If not, a 50th Anniversary Blu-Ray edition would make sense. One thing I'd like to see is the inclusion of an "as broadcast" version, that includes everything home audiences saw in 1968 - including commercials. Then we could get an expanded version of the special, and complete stand up and sit down sessions, etc.

Jayson Wall, supermd and longdist01 like this.
  20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I don't need the commercials, but gimme the Elvis stuff as broadcasted. I love musical time machines.

21. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

No Blu Ray release to date. As was stated earlier in the thread, this material was shot on standard definition videotape. (Same goes for the Aloha special and Elvis in Concert special, for that matter.) There is really no way to make this material "high resolution." The only advantage of a Blu Ray release would be to reduce the compression of the DVD somewhat and allow more material to fit on fewer discs.

22. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

The December 3rd "Broadcast" version, with the NBC logos, the Singer/Elvis tag title, the Singer ads (which features an ad for the Singer "Flaming Star" album) would be wonderful. Maybe a branching BD version where we could see the summer 69 re-run version, with the original ads and the Blue Christmas / Tiger Man switch out. I know, "I Can Dream" :)

Here are the Singer ads that aired on 12/3/68

Hep Alien and tommy-thewho like this.
  23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Which DVD release presents the most sit-down show footage?

24. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Hep Alien and Purple Jim like this.
  25. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I was looking at that one and was surprised to see it cheaper at ShopElvis: $60, or $80 in a bundle with the deluxe Aloha DVDs. And I recall it going on sale occasionally too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.