Elvis Presley "A Boy From Tupelo" SUN recordings apparently getting SONY/Legacy reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MaestroDavros, May 20, 2017.

1. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident Thread Starter

Based on a recent Amazon Germany vinyl listing:

A Boy from Tupelo: the Sun Mas [Vinyl LP] - Elvis Presley: Amazon.de: Musik

It would appear as though the 2012 FTD Book/CD release A Boy From Tupelo: The Complete 1953-55 Recordings, which covers Elvis Presley's highly influential SUN Records era, is receiving a main label reissue. The original release, over a decade in the making, consisted of both a 512 page "travelogue" showcasing a day-by-day "diary" of sorts, filled with lots of interesting and rare photos in a 12x12 package, as well as a 3CD supplement consisting of all (then) known masters, outtakes, demos and live performances, with virtually all being newly remastered and restored by Sebastian Jeannson & Vic Anesini.

Sadly due to budgetary issues, only one press run was made of 5000 copies, making this release highly sought after, and fans have long since requested a reissue (evidently one was planned in 2013, but was abandoned in favor of Elvis At Stax.) Currently the listing is for a vinyl reissue of the masters, but it would stand to reason that there will be a more expansive CD box set.

What do you think? Do you think the masters will be a carbon copy of the 2012 remasters, or will be freshly remastered anew? Will it contain the rediscovered wire recording of I Forgot To Remember To Forget? (I do). Will it contain the book (even in abridged form) or just the CD's with new liner notes? Is this release 5 years too late? Although I'm a proud owner of the 2012 release (as well as the excellent Elvis At Sun release from 2004), I will certainly pick this reissue up as I can't get enough of this period, especially if any new material and/or information has come to light.

Release date is for July 28, 2017

2. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Now re-release the Complete Masters set.

4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I doubt the book is part of this reissue. Sony has considered a reissue of the audio since 2013. An expansive SUN set should be in print, considering it is some of the most important music Elvis ever created.

5. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

And now all of the people who whine about the Legacy 70's releases can shut it already.

6. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

I for one am in! I love the 2000s single disk but this is great news.

7. PacificOceanBlue

After 5 years of predominantly 70's era reissues, people are supposed to "shut it" simply because a SUN set is being released?

8. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Does there exist on CD (or recent LP) the un-futzed-with Sun masters (w/o the reverb etc. that RCA added when they released the recordings)?

McLover, MaestroDavros and gotblues like this.
  9. MaestroDavros

The 2004 Elvis At Sun CD (remastered by Kevan Budd) contains the masters largely un-tampered with (except for That's All Right due to the loss of the original tape) and sourced from the best tapes/records available. Still in print too!

kt66brooklyn, Dyland, D-rock and 10 others like this.
  10. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Even if they only include Disc 1 from that collection, I will buy it. Yes. The original dry version of That's All Right is on The Boy From Tupelo as they mastered it from a Sun single. And it is glorious.

11. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Ooh. Want.

The book sounded lovely but the music was the draw.

MaestroDavros likes this.
  12. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I was wondering what Elvis Presley Legacy release we'd be getting in 2017.

ccbarr likes this.
  13. Suspicious Minds

Suspicious Minds Forum Resident

Cool! Looking forward to it.

14. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

15. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

goodiesguy, Bevok, bluemooze and 3 others like this.
  16. MaestroDavros

That cover art looks absolutely beautiful! :drool: Hmm, I wonder if that's Jimmy Carpenter's handiwork?

And it looks as though the book IS being included after all, even if it's in an abridged form. It would at least seem that the main gist of it, the travelogue, is still intact so that's a good thing.

This is going to be an expensive summer for me, that's for sure (and I'm okay with that).

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    CBackley likes this.
  17. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

It looks as only some of the pages from the book are included. The book was 500+ pages.

18. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I have the old set, glad it's getting a reissue because it's great and should be widely available. Hoping at least the masters get a nice vinyl issue

19. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Looks like it's a 'lite' version, I looked up the same pages in the book as is depicted in the image and there is a significant difference. More prominence of pictures rather than text in the new one. I mean, you know, it's only a first glance but it wouldn't surprise me, it's rather a massive book...

20. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Do we know if Ernst will be adding the Louisiana Hayride performance of I Forgot To Remember To Forget that turned up shortly after this set was released? This would be the perfect place for it and it would get the people who already have the big box to purchase this one also.

21. MaestroDavros

That I do not know. Interestingly, the date of the performance according to Keith Flynn's site (October 29, 1955) coincides somewhat with the pages opened up in the preview photo, but of course that could be a coincidence, we'll see. I should note that ownership isn't a problem, as almost immediately after the original owner uploaded it on YouTube (original video now seemingly removed, though many others have uploaded the performance) Ernst contacted him and the owner sold Ernst the entire recording outright (for free I believe?) so all they would have to do is transfer it from the wire recording, restore/remaster it and release it. I don't see why they wouldn't, but who knows.

I'll also add that I hope that the My Happiness / That's When You're Heartaches Begin acetate is sourced from the transfer done in 2015, whether by a new restoration or the one done by Joe Palmaccio, but I think it will likely be the 2012 restoration done by Sebastian Jeannson from the circa 1990 transfer, sadly.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  22. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I've said it before but those acetates sound awful on the Tupelo set so hopefully they used the Palmacchio restoration of My Happiness. It isn't perfect but it's much better.

23. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Awesome. Can't wait!!

24. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Looking forward to this!

25. PacificOceanBlue

Nice to see the audio from this set finally get a mainstream release. It is a bit surprising it took so long, considering a mainstream reissue was under consideration over four years ago. This is a historic set of recordings, some of the most important recordings in rock and roll history as far as I am concerned. An expansive package of Elvis' work from SUN should always remain in print.