Elvis Presley - Artist Of The Century 1999 set question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Keane, Dec 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam Thread Starter

I did a search and couldn't find anything that addressed the sound of this compilation, but only comments about its poor packaging. I have no Elvis and want some. I could get this for pretty cheap. Is the sound okay? All I read on that was that the remastering was uncredited.

2. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The sound is OK. The newer discs mastered at Sony sound better but if you don't have any Elvis, this is a good place to start.

3. Sean Keane

In what way do the newer discs sound better? Was this set noise-reduced, or is it just a matter of different EQing? Were better tapes used for the newer discs? Thanks for responding.

4. A number of newer discs have been remastered using DSD technology. Those include (I pulled almost all of this from another post by a fellow Forum member but I forget who so I'm unable to give due credit):

2003 BMG-USA Elvis 56 (DSD Remaster)
    2003 BMG-USA Great Country Songs (DSD Remaster)
    2003 BMG-USA Heart And Soul (DSD Remaster)
    2003 BMG-USA Can't Help Falling In Love: The Hollywood Hits (DSD Remaster)

2003 BMG-USA Close Up (4-CD Set) [discs 1-3]
    2003 BMG-USA Christmas Peace (2-CD)

2004 BMG-USA Ultimate Gospel
    2004 BMG-USA Elvis at Sun

2005 BMG-USA Elvis Presley (DSD Remaster)
    2005 BMG-USA Elvis (DSD Remaster)
    2005 BMG-USA Loving You (DSD Remaster)

2005 BMG-USA Love, Elvis
    2005 BMG-USA Elvis By The Presleys (w/Bonus CD)
    2005 BMG-USA Hitstory (3-CD) [disc 3 of U.S. version]

2006 BMG-USA Elvis #1 Singles (20 CD-Singles Box Set)

2006 BMG-USA Elvis Rock
    2006 BMG-USA Elvis Country
    2006 BMG-USA Elvis Inspirational
    2006 BMG-USA Elvis Live
    2006 BMG-USA Elvis R&B

Also on the collector's label these deluxe two-disc sets include DSD masters:

2004 BMG-FTD Elvis Is Back (Deluxe Edition)
    2005 BMG-FTD Loving You (Deluxe Edition)
    2006 BMG-FTD Something For Everybody (Deluxe Edition)

The DSD versions trump all other USA CD versions, IMO. However, I have yet to compare them to the Japan paper sleeve editions.

Also, a large number of these are available through yourmusic.com.

5. Sean Keane

But Steve's disc didn't use that technology and his seems to be the most liked.

6. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Some of the earlier tracks on the box set is definately nr'ed. The newer discs are mastered from the original discs using DSD (I don't know if DSD actually makes a difference). The eq is generally better and NR is not used.
    The only problem is that the Elvis catalog has become a mess and the Artist of the Century set is still the best career overview imo.

7. Sean Keane

Yikes. Would you say a track like Such A Night sounds muffled and hiss-less on this set? Sorry to be a pest, but I was pretty happy when I saw this compilation a couple of hours ago...

8. Yep, Steve's two Elvis discs sound amazing :righton: But they're not the easiest to obtain, and 24 Karat Hits! can easily cost $100+.... the titles I mentioned are easily accessible and sound excellent (especially when many can be obtained through yourmusic.com for $5.99... well before they increase their prices 1/1/07 but that's for another thread).

9. Dublintown

Dublintown Forum Resident

I have this set and I've always liked the sound of it. Can't be more specific - will pull it out tomorrow and give it a more detailed listen. But I seem to recall it had a warmish, full sound, if that's not being too vague. The track-listing was pretty comprehensive too and I also loved the packaging!

10. Sean Keane

Not to hayseeds in Canada.

11. Sean Keane

Thanks! I hope you're right! By the way, my dad's father is from Kilkenny, and his mother came from Ballyroan. Ireland, that is.

12. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

I agree that this is the best compilation overview of Elvis' career to date. It's a 3 CD set, which contains outdated mid 90's era Dennis Ferrante remasters and remixes. And the cardboard packaging is pure junk.

But still, the tracklist was very well conceived by Ernst Jorgenson.

The upcoming 2CD "Essential Elvis Presley" from Sony Legacy, which will be released in January 07, is a far less tracklist, omitting essential later period tracks like "Promised Land" and "Guitar Man."

While it may not be quite fair to compare the two because Essential is only 2 discs, it still includes a few dubious songs which should have been expunged in favor of more classic material. Example: A Little Less Conversation is slated for "Essential." This is hardly and Essential track, but it's inclusion shows the commercial nature of the package, piggybacking on the huge sales of techno style remix of a few years ago.

13. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I have the red vinyl version of the Artist of the Century box set and it seems fine. I'm not an expert on Elvis nor a huge fan so the tracklist gives me all I need. Sounds like Elvis to me and its always enjoyable when I put it on.

14. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

No, the problem is the 50's material. I think they simply used the transfers they had prepared for the 50's decade box set and that box set didn't sound too good.
    The last two discs of the "Artist" box sound fine to me.

15. Sean Keane

Are those 1990's remasters that bad?

16. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

No. The 1990's remasters sound A LOT better than the original discs from the 1980's.

17. Sean Keane

Thanks, Claus. So you think someone with a good ear but a fairly poor system would be happy with them?

18. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I think so. As others have pointed out, discs 2 and 3 in the set don't sound bad at all.

19. Dublintown

Dublintown Forum Resident

Played a few tracks from this today and it sounds pretty good....compared a couple of tracks e.g 'Only The Strong Survive' with the version from a 90's Made In Germany Elvis In Memphis and it sounded identical...but it's a great overview with a fantastic booklet (even featuring a quote from Ireland's longest serving and best loved DJ Larry Gogan!) It looks wonderful too, as you can see.

Attached Files:

20. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I think those discs that Shawn1968 listed sound great but I don't attribute it to DSD. I attribute it to the mastering of Vic Anesini and Kevan Budd.

DSD by itself does not a good sounding disc make. It's in the mastering.

As for the discs from the 1990's - no they are not that bad sounding and I enjoy them for the most part. Most Elvis 80's discs are horrible, some of the worst sounding CD's I've ever heard.

21. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

What was the title of the second SH Elvis collection? I only know of 24 Karat Hits!

22. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Not a compiliation. He remastered the 1960 album "Elvis is Back!".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.