Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

In your personal opinion perhaps, but from an FTD marketing standpoint it would work and is in line with the sort of thing they do. Elvis final concert could be "talked up" and presented very easily. Plus, the audience recording is of above average quality. We are discussing future FTD possibilities now that the bottom of the barrel is in sight. Personally, this one is not on my wish-list, but it would not be out of character for FTD to release Indy 77 - same goes for Memphis 76. And tell me, how is Presley's final show not significant?

Suspicious Minds likes this.
  2. atomic powered poster

atomic powered poster Well-Known Member

Yes, maybe as the last ftd, or they make a book which coveres the last tour or something like that. The only thing i was argumenting about was the description as historical.

3. atomic powered poster

If elvis would have died three days later, then this show would be totaly irrelevant. It is just a show. I don't like it when terms like "historical" are used that indiscriminately.

4. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I don't understand your logic - if Elvis died "three days later" Indy still would be his final show.

Pelvis Ressley likes this.
  5. atomic powered poster

No, he was going to start a tour.

6. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

In August.

7. atomic powered poster

Okay, you got me wrong, i meant three days after the 16.August.

8. Suspicious Minds

Suspicious Minds Forum Resident

I never claimed I was listing material that will give us new insight in Elvis music, or new / unreleased material, or 'essential' material. To quote Johnny Q: I was talking about 'future FTD possibilities now that the bottom of the barrel is in sight'.

As to your question: what's the point in buying them again? Well, maybe there are still some improvements possible. And you don't have to buy them. I don't buy all FTDs, I cherry pick what I like. Oh, there are still some fans who don't have all the bootlegs, don't want to pay crazy prices for them, and hence would like it on FTD (or Sony).

And, yes, of course, the really interesting stuff is already released.

johnny q likes this.
  9. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Then Portland Maine or Utica, New York would have been his final show :)

;);)

10. atomic powered poster

Okay, my post was not meant to be negativ, i was only saying that - to me - most of this releases aren't too appealing. That doesn't mean that i don't agree with you that ernst is going to release them in one form or another. And i don't buy all ftd releases either, i'm not complaining. Just my thoughts.

11. Suspicious Minds

And in that case, FTD as a collectors label might be interested in releasing that one instead of Indy ;-)

johnny q likes this.
  12. atomic powered poster

Yeah.

13. atomic powered poster

That is what i meant, it is just a coincidence. What is the big deal about it. (But to be honest, i have this show in my collection too ;-) )

14. atomic powered poster

In better words; if Elvis had died three days before the indi concert, or on tour in late august, that wouldn't make a differents. Not for the way his life and work was judged, and not for the development of popular music in general. And that is why this show is of no historical relevance.

15. Suspicious Minds

I get what you mean, but it seems to me you're confusing 'historic' with 'historical'.

Historic means ‘famous or important in history’, as in a historic occasion, whereas historical means ‘concerning history or historical events’, as in historical evidence; thus a historic event is one that was very important, whereas a historical event is something that happened in the past.

Elvis' last show wasn't historic, but I'd understand it if FTD were to release it as a historical event. Think that's Johnny's point too.

16. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

It is also available on the Franklin Mint set.

Pelvis Ressley likes this.
  17. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

All I know is I love The King, love his 70s works possibly most of all, and have nearly every FTD - certainly every studio issue of every LP/new "made-up" soundtracks...

And I wish he had passed 3 days earlier for only one reason.

So there was some space between the passing of The King and the other greatest living-legend at the time, Groucho Marx.

Groucho got over-shadowed in the press by the sudden passing of Elvis only 3 days earlier...

First time his timing was off - and it was his final act. Anyway, 40 years is too long for both of them to be gone. Today is the 40th of the passing of Groucho Marx.

Jeff

Anthony Aloysius likes this.
  18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Definitely. Dead quiet vinyl, booming lows, luscious highs : Speakers Corner Records
    Looks like they've done at least 9 titles ( could be more, but not submitted to Discogs by one of us ).

Flaming Torch likes this.
  19. atomic powered poster

Oh how i love the Marx Brothers. Animal Crackers, Duck Soup ..... Fantastic.

20. atomic powered poster

Okay, my fault, thanks for the explanation.

21. Suspicious Minds

You're welcome. No worries, as non-native English speakers, we get 'lost in translation' sometimes ;-)

atomic powered poster likes this.
  22. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The arrangement is certainly commendable in 1977; the vocal execution, no so much.

23. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Ah yes. I always forget that one! Thanks.

artfromtex likes this.
  24. PacificOceanBlue

FTD definitely has an audience source of Indy 1977 in its archives. I think it is inevitable that it will be released at some point, perhaps coupled with another 1977 soundboard (maybe Cincinnati?), but it seems like it is way down on the list of priorities. I certainly would support a decision for it to be released for historical purposes and for the sake of completion, but I think there are a number of live recordings FTD should prioritize from the 1969-1973 period before it revisits 1977.

johnny q and Suspicious Minds like this.
  25. PacificOceanBlue

I have a hard time believing Ernst Jorgensen would green light a book project covering Elvis' final tour for FTD.