Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Before I start, can anyone tell me what happened to the other big Elvis FTD Thread. I was reading some of the latest comments and when I went to move to the last page, I was blocked . Has it been pulled.

Anyhow I just received the latest FTD 7" release. Have not played all of it, but dipped into the unreleased stuff. The two Charro tracks, I assume taken from acetates, are interesting especially the endings. Charro noticeably has the strings that have not been added at this point.

I am of course curious as to why "Almost" is the only song given here with multiple outtakes - what happened to the takes of other songs. As much as the booklet is interesting, it does concentrate more on the movies than the actual recordings and there is virtually no info about the recording sessions, apart from who played on the sessions. A little more background would have helped - was "Let's Forget About The Stars" going to be included within the film (dropped a bit like "Summer Kisses" in Flaming Star) or was it a song just recorded at the Charro session. I found the medley a bit disappointing. It seemed like a collection of individual snippets of songs with little breaks rather than an actual medley, but if I remember correctly when used in the film, the scenes were just snippets going back and forth, but its a long time since I watched the movie.

So nice to finally get a release that covers the last movies, buy like any fan, I would have liked some more outtakes. Cannot be long for Kissin' Cousins now - maybe middle of next year.

Hep Alien, JimmyCool and BlueSpeedway like this.
  2. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I don’t know what happened to the other thread, but someone had been tastelessly (IMO) laying into ill, 1977 Elvis, which probably had something to do with it. Seems to be a hobby of certain Presley “fans”. The Gorts might be cleaning it up.

I think all the other out-takes are lost.

I was in two minds about that release, but I like the Charro song so your review might persuade me :)

johnny q likes this.
  3. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Not much of anything to warrant an FTD issue. The stereo and mono LP's, a couple of unedited tracks, and possibly some acetates, if they a) are available to FTD, and b) differ at all from the released versions. There's nothing else in the vaults.

4. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

True, but that hasn’t stopped FTD from putting out othet releases lately that were pretty light on extra material. Not a criticism, by the way, since I’m hoping for a Kissing Cousins FTD for completeness sake.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  5. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

For sure. I would have never predicted Live A Little, Love A Little receiving its own FTD release, but it did, and it's brilliant.

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Hey folks, I have removed the immature bickering posts. Please report any that I may have missed.

Any discussion about The King can get very testy, so PLEASE please please READ OVER YOUR POST before hitting the 'post reply' box. Well, don't hit it, it requires a mouse click. :)

And just as a reminder the thread subject is the FTD reissues.

Thanks! Carry on.

7. Music Collector Mike

Music Collector Mike New Member

It’s known that the session tapes have gone missing like those from Roustabout, hence the delay in releasing them, but FTD will still put it out. Also likely next year will be For LP Fans Only and Elvis In Concert at the end of 2018 which may well be chosen as the final FTD Release. As you say, the bottom of the barrel has just about been reached. If there is anything from On Tour, that may go mainstream.

8. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I just had a haul of FTDs delivered as well!! What a beautiful thing. I haven't had a chance to dig in too much, but I'm looking forward to A Date With Elvis tonight. What should I wear!?

I did get to play the Roustabout FTD last night and really enjoyed it. The end dragged a bit with all the title-track outtakes in a row -- but, hey, gotta plow through. It's not easy being an FTD junkie -- but we do it. Just glad to hear we have some outtakes to dive into at all. The sound and packaging is muy excellente making this a perfectly solid FTD release. It's a decent soundtrack in its own right, too -- with Little Egypt being an absolute classic in my book -- and who doesn't love carnivals?

I finally got around to picking up the well-received Spirit of Jackson release, too. I'm looking forward to that one. Then Gold Records Volume 4 -- which I'm keeping my expectations in check, since there's not much outside of the mono and a few outtakes. But the music is of course going to be good. Then for good measure I picked up Las Vegas '74, since I think I read it was getting deleted already?

I'm already taking donations for my next haul.

9. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I love getting a large order of FTD's. Like a kid at Christmas!

I have about 4 or 5 that I need to get.

Pants Party likes this.
  10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Nicely done. The interesting thing about "Roustabout's" sequencing is that for years a number of fans complained that all outtakes of individual songs were not in sequential order, and often mixed throughout the sequencing of other classic album reissues. "Roustabout" shows that sometimes there is something to be said for separating the outtakes. Think about the 1970's era classic album series reissues; is it really a good thing to hear several takes of "I Miss You" in a row? That said, I have certainly created playlists with outtakes in sequential order, but there is something to be said for attempting to create a pleasant listening experience on CD.

It has previously been stated, but the 1976 concert from "Spirit of Jackson" is somewhat remarkable for a 1976 concert. It may very well be the finest soundboard release from what is largely a terrible year of live work for Elvis. The 1976 concert in question sounds more like a June 1974 concert than a concert from 1976. The 1975 show on disc two is very underwhelming, a run-of-the-mill summer 1975 show.

"A Date With Elvis" contains a lot of recycled material, although the "It Is So Strange" outtakes are a welcomed edition to the catalogue. However, as I stated earlier in the summer, disc two is essential. The home recordings are a fascinating look into Elvis' musical sojourn in Germany during 1958-1960, which played a significant role in shaping and refining his musical direction for the future. Elvis was very cognizant of where he wanted to take his music; how he wanted it arranged; how he wanted to fuse different styles, genres and overall approaches to creating music. These home recordings from Germany are a tantalizing look into his creative process. They may not be for everyone; they are lo-fidelity tapes, lacking lush arrangements and exciting instrumental accompaniment, but they are special.

"Gold Records Vol. 4" has always been a bit of an eclectic compilation. The FTD edition did not deliver; the mono disc was underwhelming and it was thin on the outtakes. Still, one cannot blame fans for acquiring it.

"Las Vegas '74" contains two of the stronger concerts that I have heard from August 1974 Las Vegas engagement, and the soundboard mix is generally well-balanced. I still give the edge to "Nevada Nights" because of the uniqueness of opening night performance, but "Las Vegas 74" contains the stronger vocal work.

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Surely you can't be suggesting they skip this final soundtrack on FTD. It's about completeness as much as content. In addition to the titles mentioned above, I'm still hoping for Madison Square and Aloha in the FTD 7" format. As for the final FTD release, some fans almost seem to be wishing this to happen. I'm sure once all the "classic" albums are done, there'll be other interesting projects still to come.

12. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

I reckon FTD will wind down at the end of next year. They will have been around for 20 years by then. As mentioned above, I’m sure they will release Kissin' Cousins regardless of shortcomings due to lack of material, plus For LP Fans Only and In Concert. Another possibility is the release of 50 Worldwide Gold Award Hits in Mono and it’s follow up, The Other Sides also in Mono. Of course there will be various Soundboards between now and the end of the Label. Also awhile back, there was a story of another book covering Blue Hawaii which continues the theme of previous books that covered the early 60s. If it happens, no doubt it will

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

14. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

It’s doubtful they’ll do MSG as it was covered pretty well via Legacy and they have just put out a private recording via a book. Is there anything more that they can do for this. If they do release it, I’m sure it will be simply to plug a gap in the collection - Aloha probably comes into the same category. Gold Records 5 has been casually mentioned, but what is the likelihood of that happening with Hits Of The 70s double album being put out.

I’m not sure anyone is wishing for FTD to cease, BUT you have to realise this is a business and if they cannot find things they consider worthwhile to release, worthwhile being profit making and not some kind of fan wish list, then it will have to come to an end. It’s been going for nearly twenty years and they have virtually got to the bottom of the barrel. The last two soundboard releases from April and May this year, apparently did not meet sales expectations, were not repressed and have been deleted already. Those within The Classic Album series are the biggest sellers and probably prop up the other releases. Once they have finished, what else is there to release without getting into rehashed compilations of stuff they have already released. There will not be enough income generated just from Soundboard releases to keep Ernst and Roger on a decent salary.

But out of curiosity, what other projects do you consider would be worthwhile to do and would generate good sales and a decent profit.

15. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

16. Myke

All things must pass. I have more FTDs than I even think about reaching for, so I'm satisfied.

17. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

It s back and alive. Sorry about any if my discussionthat caused the delay.

As for the Final FTD's, as a collector,I am glad to see it made it.

18. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Ditto. I’m only missing a couple of the books one of which I will never get now. Certainly enough stuff available to pick off the shelf at anytime.

Myke likes this.
  19. Myke

I even invested in those custom plastic covers for the 7" ers.

20. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I'm kinda bummed to read that Paradise Hawaiian Style is OOP. I could never bring myself to buy it but I thought someday the completist in me would win.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  21. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I think FTD does it right. I use iTunes and can make a playlist of sequential takes if I want to. I particularly love hearing "Suspicious Minds" from start to finish".

Pants Party likes this.
  22. bubba-ho-tep

You can still get it from The Elvis Shop London. It's about 60 bucks, though.

23. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I saw that. I couldn't go through with it at $30. $60 is out of the question.

24. bubba-ho-tep

I hear you. This talk about the pending rarity of the Paradise Hawaiian Style FTD almost makes me want to pull my copy off the shelf for a listen......almost.

25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I hear you. FTD issued its initial batch of soundtracks in the early 2000's and I was very slow to warm up to the idea of acquiring so much second-rate material. Finally, one day about 12 years ago, I bit the bullet and placed a bulk order from World Wide Elvis who still had a good stock at reasonable prices (if I recall correctly, Paul Dowling gave me a good deal because I ordered several of these substandard soundtracks). I figured, not only was I an Elvis enthusiast, but figured one day I would regret not having the expanded editions. I rarely revisit any of the titles for listening pleasure and enjoyment, but do not regret acquiring them and like having them catalogued. Most of those early soundtrack reissues from FTD did not contain particularly good mastering, and in the case of Girl Happy, not the best tape sources. The more recent soundtrack offerings from FTD have contained first-rate mastering and sound quality. Like others have pointed out, who would have thought "Live A Little, Love A Little" would have been somewhat indispensable?

Hep Alien likes this.