Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Thank you for refreshing my memory.

IIRC, FTD intended to release the unedited full take, but accidentally used the Reconsider Baby version. It is disappointing that they did not correct the error and reissue corrected discs, like they had done on other FTD titles.

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

FTD used the 7:59 version first issued on Memories of Christmas (undubbed except for a small portion at 4:30 which switches to the overdubbed master), but now we're nitpicking. :)

PacificOceanBlue and Hep Alien like this.
  3. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Oops thanks for the correction.

I for one appreciate the new material.

Was the "unedited" ever truly that long of a version or was it fabricated?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  4. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Irritating indeed. Although I would have expected Memphis 7/5/76 released first for it's own obvious reasons - perhaps a "Hometown Shows" Part 2 thing. Or perhaps that would have been a more logical inclusion in the upcoming Bicentennial set given the fact those shows occurred back to back.

Kissin Cousins could be interesting. Not a great soundtrack by any means, but I'll take the outtakes. "Once Is Enough," Anyone" and especially "Tender Feeling" are decent tunes. However, one would be hard pressed to find anymore diamonds in that rough!

5. PacificOceanBlue

I would imagine that the Memphis 7/5/76 concert will be issued before FTD eventually concludes.

johnny q likes this.
  6. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

For the record, personally, I'm some way from being a KC enthusiast.

7. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

The sound is worth the purchase alone. But for bonus stuff, I had some gripes. The count-in was included for "My Wish Came True" but not for "Don't". Plus at the time, i wanted the x mas radio special. I don''t want to buy a book a book in order to get it.

George C. likes this.
  8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The unedited take of the song is 7:59. The version on the FTD (which was originally created for the Memories of Christmas CD in the 80s) is not artificially lengthened. It merely is edited so for about a minute it switches from the undubbed version to the finished take (with the Eddie Hinton guitar overdub) and then switches back to the undubbed version. The unedited, undubbed take is only on bootleg:

BeatleJWOL and Hep Alien like this.
  9. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

Wow, finally Kissin' Cousins. And with 10 backing tracks! :p ;) Actually, I'm more excited than I should be, but that's only because this is more or less the last of the original studio albums for FTD to release if you consider that For LP Fans Only is basically a collection of older songs and the other albums are concerts.
    If you pre-order from Elvis Shop London, you can get some Kissin' Cousins lobby cards for free with your order

There's a couple of the early FTD soundtracks that I wouldn't mind them revisiting.

I didn't think that I would get any more '76 concerts, but since I only have maybe 2 of them, I went ahead and splurged on the Bicentennial release. That's definitely it for me for '76. The only other live stuff for me is Elvis on Tour, Elvis in Concert (how could they not have been released this year, the anniversary?) and maybe some select '69-'72 shows.

Even though it's fast coming to an end, I'm excited to see what's in store for 2018.

10. PacificOceanBlue

It is possible. FTD did reissue Girl Happy after locating an upgraded tape source for the album master (there was also a switch from "take 4" to "take 3" of "You'll Be Gone"). The most obvious candidate is "Viva Las Vegas" which could conceivably be expanded to two discs.

George C. and Pelvis Ressley like this.
  11. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

A real sloppy piece of work as well, because the whole mix changes for that segment.

Likely done because the overdubbed guitar lead only exists on the issued, edited stereo master and not on a multitrack.

For me the definitive official version is the 7.18 undubbed "extended master" issued on Reconsider Baby (and later an early 90s CD edition of Wonderful World of Christmas).

Crazy that FTD used the bad Memories of Christmas version rather than a proper new mix for a true undubbed/unedited master.

12. Mono mix and movie/radio spots would have been a nice addition (the movie/radio spot vinyl is exceptionally rare and to my knowledge has never been booted). This would have necessitated two CDs I suspect but at least it makes it an easier pill to swallow than paying $30 for Kissin Cousins on one CD.

Pants Party and BlueSpeedway like this.
  13. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Thank you for the information.

I am on the fence with a lot of dubbed work. While it is nice to have options, the truth is that I prefer lot decisions that were made in regards to overdubs and some of the straight mixes have sounded just to foreign to me.

Case in point. Unchained Melody in its raw form on Great Performances CD (as far as I know) sounds truly cool, but then for my complete official bluray set I had to go with the single version on Elvis Aaron Presley. If I started tearing apart all mixes, where would I stop? The same as obvious things like I Washed My Hands where it went on just a little too long (I consider the 70's Box to have the definitive version) or even Don't Think Twice being super repetitive.

All are very curious and must for collecting, but true listening over and over again?

Now Merry Christmas Baby is one that Reconsider Baby just made me stand up.

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

What I find interesting about the guitar overdub, is that it seems like it was recorded directly while making the 2-track stereo mix. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the sessions were done on 16-track with all live recording done on 10 tracks, leaving the others open for overdubs. Since "Merry Christmas Baby" has no other overdubs that I'm aware of, it seems strange not to dub the guitar solo onto one of the other 6 open tracks.

15. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Indeed.

Perhaps it was a last minute idea, after the song had been edited to its album version length.

I've never personally gelled with the overdub to be honest, there's a part we're Elvis calls out something like "dig it James, dig it!" and James jams while the Eddie Hinton overdubs pops in over the top in the same place.

Then we learn later that James actually did get a solo spot later in the performance, which was ommited from the released recording.

My first exposure to the song was the Reconsider Baby version so for years that was the one in my head before I finally heard the 1971 album version.

16. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

What version is on the Merry Christmas CD of 1984?
    Elvis Presley - Merry Christmas
    It's listed as 7:57 on the CD and 7:58 on discogs.
    This version is not listed on keithflynn:
    Elvis Presley Recording Sessions

See also this post
    Are There Rare and Expensive Compact-Discs, Entered in the Collectibles Market?

The "Memories of Christmas" release was LP only in 1982. The CD of that title is from 1987.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Hep Alien likes this.
  17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I don't know for sure, but I'd say it's extremely likely that it's the spliced-together version from Memories of Christmas. Particularly since that CD appears to contain the long version of "O Come All Ye Faithful" (the spliced version of takes 1 and 2) that also originated on the Memories of Christmas album.

18. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

You're probably right. Basically what I thought too. I think it is interesting that the kf site has no mention of that CD. But we can't be 100% sure yet and I am still not going to open mine.

19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Would you open it if you knew for sure it did contain the undubbed, unedited version? :D

Given the fact it was released just two years after Memories of Christmas, and appears to contain at least one other rarity that originated on Memories of Christmas, I think it's a very safe bet that it's the Memories of Christmas version. It seems quite unlikely the uncut version of the song could have gotten out there 35 years ago and escaped notice. Not impossible, but unlikely. Unless everybody who has that CD is keeping it unopened like you...

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Listened to Elvis‘Christmas Album and The Wonderful World of C. FTDs- what a great sound quality!!!

21. PacificOceanBlue

I’m not a Christmas music enthusiast by any stretch, but these two Presley albums are very good and contain some of his best work.

Hep Alien, MarkusGermany and hodgo like this.
  22. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I got a chance to hear this CD the other day, and I can confirm now that the version of "Merry Christmas Baby" that's on there is the full-length-but-spliced version, same as on Memories of Christmas and the Wonder World of Christmas FTD.

Hep Alien and JohnO like this.
  23. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

The Return of the FTD I'm Playing Right Now...

Elvis Sings Guitar Man, Disc 1

[​IMG]

This release is just freaking phenomenal. I forget about it every once in awhile. And when I pull it off the shelf, I'm always just blown the heck away. Playing it all day. The car ride into the office. At home with some cocktails. Just prime-time, step-aside remember-me-I invented-all-this-stuff Elvis Presley. What a great FTD. If one doth not yet have... rectify, post haste.

[​IMG]

24. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

A question on The Last Movies; how does Clean Up Your Own Back Yard (Undubbed Master) sound compared to the 90s "Double Features" release?

In particular, is it the same mix or a new mix?

Fleet Fox likes this.
  25. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

I'm with you all the way. This is truly one of the most outstanding titles to ever be put out by FTD. I return to it often as it never ceases to put a smile on my face. I'd also like to echo your comment that it should be in everyones FTD collection sooner rather than later.