Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

The CD seemed to go out of print, then came back in print again.

I don't think any of the FTD vinyl releases have ever had more than one run.

Hot August Night on vinyl is not completely sold out though, still seems to be available from Elvis Shop London.

2. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Fortunately I have all the Double Features cds. I do not mind the original mixes as they are what they are. Yes I have read that The Colonel wanted all records to focus on Elvis and overall that in my opinion is not a bad idea (wish they had done that in 1970s when they seemed to throw in the kitchen sink on the recordings!). It would therefore appear at this time the Double Features series is unique. I had some Movie Soundtrack vinyl albums from way back but never had them all. The Double Feature cds were the first time I had most/all of the soundtracks.

3. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

A lot of the those 60s soundtracks have "wonky" mixes also due to the way they were recorded - 3 tracks, band on a channel, Elvis on a channel, backing vocals on a channel.

I haven't heard them all but I bet some of the original mono mixes are a little more tolerable.

4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The main problem with most of the the 1965-66 soundtrack mixes is that the band is way too low in the mix relative to Elvis' voice. I haven't heard the mono mixes, but it's likely they have the same problem.

MaestroDavros likes this.
  5. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

The original mix of Harum Scarum in particular is one of the worst albums I've ever heard. Truly unlistenable to me. Horrid. The improvement given to the songs by the '90s remix is quite impressive.

Pants Party, Sebastian and johnny q like this.
  6. Flaming Torch

Don't add the cost of these FTDs up it frightened the life out of me whilst I am having coffee! My FTD collection is therefore worth more than my car.

hodgo likes this.
  7. Flaming Torch

Hodgo/ or anyone else which version has the Anesini mix? I shall have to get all my Viva Las Vegas soundtrack stuff out to see where I am with this movie soundtrack.

hodgo likes this.
  8. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

GillyT, Flaming Torch and hodgo like this.
  9. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

Yes, it's frightening isn't it. I made a conscious decision to buy only the "Classic Albums" and with the odd exception not bother with the lousy 60's soundtracks and endless sbd's. This of course has made it a much cheaper experience for me than for many others.

That's the one, SQ wise it puts the FTD to shame.

MaestroDavros likes this.
  10. Flaming Torch

Thanks, I just checked the Movie Soundtracks 20 Original Albums box I have which in the little book gives a credit to Vic mastering all the albums.

hodgo likes this.
  11. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Yes, that box contains the 2007 remasters.

12. bw

bw Forum Resident

Has there ever been any talk of reissuing the Canadian Tribute album? Bought that one as a kid and played the daylights out of it. Would be kind of need to see it reissued.

AGimS likes this.
  13. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I had a car like that once.

14. Flaming Torch

Hep Alien and bw like this.
  15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's a really odd album, right up there there "Elvis Sings for Children (and Grown-Ups Too)." They start the album with an introduction from one of his 50s-era live appearances, but there are no live performances from Elvis. Rather, the first four tracks are the studio versions of songs Elvis played live at those shows. The remainder of the album is 70s-era studio tracks that happened to be written by Canadians. Makes for a weird and arbitrary listening experience. But I suppose an argument could be made for doing FTDs of all those weird late-70s/early 80s comps. I imagine there's folks who have sentimental attachments to them and would buy them.

Hep Alien and bw like this.
  16. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

It's surely an eclectic collection. Random tracks and a 20min interview!

Question: the time listed for "My Heart Cries For You" is 2:43. The track is usually around 1:50. Is it a "tribute" version (i.e.; another artist) and not his home recording version?

Which reminds me, I love that song... and really wish Elvis had done that in the studio!!!! It would have fit perfectly on Today.

bw likes this.
  17. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

The Son of the Return of the FTD I'm Playing Right Now...

[​IMG]

A Date With Elvis, Disc 1
    Wow, I sort of forgot about this one! This sounds better than I've ever heard it. Such a joy to listen to. The original album is splendid, and the bonus and binaural sessions are great. I'm not sure what if anything is duplicated from the Jailhouse Rock FTDs... but it's still a pleasant listening experience.

hodgo likes this.
  18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The version on The Home Recordings CD is edited. The full-length acetate is 2:43 and appears on A Golden Celebration and (apparently) as a bonus track on the CD version of A Canadian Tribute.

Hep Alien and Pants Party like this.
  19. Flaming Torch

Anyone know if the forthcoming FTD titles including Kissin' Cousins are due out this year?

Fleet Fox likes this.
  20. Fleet Fox

Fleet Fox Forum Resident

Yes this week I think

Flaming Torch likes this.
  21. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Paradise Hawaiian Style is in da house , baby! :cheers:

Perfect for a day like today

22. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Finally got around to listening to The Last Movies front to back this past weekend. It's a nice compilation of what's available from this period which sadly - is not that much. Sound quality is excellent throughout. It's amazing how committed Elvis is vocally to pleasant but non essential tracks like "Let Us Pray" and "Let's Forget About The Stars." The stripped back alternate mixes and/or isolated vocals really bear this out. Another observation from the "Almost" sessions was that Elvis was having trouble with the song.

One glaring omission is the movie version of "Change Of Habit" with the alternate bass part. Why was that not included?

23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

My guess would be there is no master tape available for that overdub, and it only exists on the film soundtrack itself.

24. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I've grown pretty rusty with this stuff, but what release features the alternate movie version? I want to say the original Let's Be Friends album. I think the Double Features series contains the one on The last Movies. Or maybe I have that all screwed up :)

25. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The Let's be Friends album contains the master take of Change of Habit.