Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I suspect that concert was an anomaly, rather than a representation of a certain run of shows.

Pants Party likes this.
  2. PacificOceanBlue

"Spirit of Jackson, MS."

3. PacificOceanBlue

1972:
    An American Trilogy (hybrid of multitrack and soundboard recordings from January/February 1972)
    Summer Festival (8/11/72, d.s.)

1973:
    I'll Remember You (2/3/73, m.s.)

None of them are "exceptional," but the 1972 releases contain some very good performances.

Hep Alien and Pants Party like this.
  4. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Thanks, man. :righton:

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  5. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

That is interesting. Was anything else earmarked for the Golden Celebration that has not yet been released? Also why did Joan Deary leave? I did have that pink coloured book about the rise of Elvis incorporated but lent it to a friend. Interesting book about how the estate turned things around.

6. Flaming Torch

In fairness to the actual shows and Elvis and the band etc most of these shows were performed for the folk attending at that time with no thought to folk like us listening in 40 years later. I listen to whole shows usually but also pick out highlights. I get the impression that the audience stayed throughout the show and actually watched and listened. My experience of modern audiences is a feeling of why did they bother to come at all. I never saw Elvis (or Gram Parsons) so if the Tardis ever comes around I will revisit a show or 2.

MRamble and johnny q like this.
  7. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

1976:

Spirit of Jackson
    Showtime!
    In West Texas
    The West Coast Tour‘76

For 1973 you could also add: Takin‘ Tahoe Tonight!

1972:
    An American Trilogy

Hep Alien and artfromtex like this.
  8. PacificOceanBlue

Deary was phased out of the project when Gregg Geller took it over, changing the direction of the project to focus more on Elvis' early triumphs and creative process by showcasing audio from his groundbreaking 1950's era television special appearances, home recordings, and choice cuts from the '68 Comeback Special small combo performances. Deary not only wanted to showcase a 1976 soundboard composite concert (with Jackson 9/5/76 being the primary source), but she also had plans of including soundboard selections from September 1973, August 1974 (including dialogue from the notorious "Desert Storm" show), and 1977. Geller kept the Tupelo homecoming concert tape and a couple of home recordings Deary planned to use (the items she received a producer's credit for), but omitted all of Joan's other ideas.

Flaming Torch, Hep Alien and hodgo like this.
  9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I have not heard good things about Geller in general, but I he made the right decision in this case.

PacificOceanBlue and hodgo like this.
  10. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Need a little friendly advice please...
    After years of putting up with the disparity in volume on disc 1 of the FTD 'Today' classic album, I'd like to rectify it as I re-import it into my iTunes library. Anyone any tips for best result scenarios to levelling it all correctly and beautifully etc.?

11. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Well, the problem is not the masters, it's the outtakes. Even if you lowered the levels on the outtakes, you'd still have compressed audio.

12. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

MP3 gain works best for me.

When In Rome likes this.
  13. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Admittedly, I can't do anything about any compression but as long I don't have to reach all the way to my remote control or volume buttons on the iPod and use that miniscule amount of effort to rebalance the sound nearer to what I'd just been enjoying (on that rare occasion when I play the thing) I'll be more than happy... ;)

14. Flaming Torch

I have both the FTD Today and the Sony legacy. I would be interested in what others think of the mastering/sound of the original album on both releases. I also have it in the complete albums box (plus numerous other cds of varying vintage). I shall have to compare them one day but I would assume the Complete Albums, the Complete Elvis Presley Masters and the Sony Legacy are all the same although that is a complete guess.

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Should anyone want to read details of the new On Tour 9CD box set, there is an excellent in depth review now on the Elvis Information Network. The box by the way is stunning.

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

All of the audio material was lifted from available sources, both official and bootleg. Unless you’re in the market for a fancy book, you can roll your own until the real thing comes out.

Hep Alien and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  17. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Take a look at the review and then see if being dismissive makes sense. Who cares what's been out before, this is a superb item by any standards. As for waiting for Sony, even if they put this material out, it's unlikely to match this.

18. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

True. Except for a few songs from the Buffalo, NY rehearsal that I believe surfaced for this first time via this set.

19. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

No doubt the packaging is a delight.

I rarely ever heard a bootleg I truly liked from a sound quality perspective to be honest, certainly when it came to pro-recorded material. Often just brighter or "smiley faced" in some instances.

Generalisation of course.

Since the Texas show is ported over and "improved" from the old BMG box-set, can you speak into how the sound is different/better?

As for Sony, if they do put out a set the concerts will be in stereo, mixed and mastered from the multitrack recordings. That in of itself would overall any packaging greatness of a bootleg, right? Unless they ruin the recordings like Prince From Another Planet.

20. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Missed this.

My understanding is this new release is back in the "FTD book format", which I much prefer, from the feel of the covers to the pages themselves.

The "Flaming Star" style books themselves feel somewhat cheap to me (production quality), and not as classy, despite the more regular dimensions.

21. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Thanks for the link.

It reminds me of how much I enjoy the On Tour Rehearsals FTD. That is one awesome CD. Can anyone suggest a more complete release of these? The above set has 3 of its 9 CDs devoted to them (if I'm reading the link correctly), but I'd only want those first 3 I think. Is there another source for just the rehearsals, but more expansive than the single FTD version?

MarkusGermany likes this.
  22. Flaming Torch

Sorry I do not know but the On Tour bootleg box is an impressive package. I will get round to playing it this week but I do not think I have all the rehearsal stuff on my other On Tour boots and official releases. The 2 Standing Room Only Tapes volumes 1 and 2 (boots) are smaller packages of the On Tour stuff and pretty good as well being much cheaper.
    Back to FTD my favourite Elvis live periods are the February and August 1970 Las Vegas shows. Is there any really good stuff available to FTD from 1970 not from those 2 engagements?
    I now have the Spirit of Jackson FTD and will blast that out tomorrow.

23. PacificOceanBlue

I do not think anyone has been dismissive. The reality is that it is a bootleg, albeit in glorified fashion. Aside from 4 rehearsal tracks from Buffalo, all of the audio is lifted from official Sony/BMG/FTD sources and previously released bootlegs. And yes, it does allegedly come with an impressive book, yet, one has to ask, were the photos used with permission? Nevertheless, Sony will undoubtedly release the concert audio in the future (if not a number of rehearsals), and it will most likely be noticeably superior to this bootleg, probably at a fraction of the cost.

Pelvis Ressley likes this.
  24. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Two small box sets were put out recently, one covering the rehearsals, the other the shows.

25. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

I know you always take the moral high ground when it comes to bootlegs and I couldn't be bothered arguing the point. It is worth pointing out though, without them there would be no FTD, some are produced to a very high standard as in this case and to reiterate in the case of On Tour, very little has been released officially in 46 years. If and when Sony see fit to release this stuff, I'll no doubt buy it but in the meantime I'll enjoy this.