Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Any potential complete sessions should only be done from the original three track/four track master tapes as you suggested. Any porting over from previous releases with just a sprinkling of new nuggets would be tantamount to treason for my money and whilst I'm not 100% sure about the full gamut complete sessions project anyway, a patchwork port over job would just kill the idea stone dead for me and I wouldn't be fooled twice!!
    One wonders (well, I do anyways!) with the 'Paradise Hawaiian Style' FTD now being deleted, if that would be the first full session project to be tackled, despite 'Viva Las Vegas' being mooted.
    Naturally, I can hardly contain my excitement! :)

melstapler and MaestroDavros like this.
  2. Great Music Lover

Great Music Lover Well-Known Member

The initial idea for "the complete sessions" sets was that they were looking to concentrate on the proper studio album stuff (Elvis is Back, Something For Everybody etc) but then along came the idea for doing the Viva Las Vegas sessions as a try out. It will be interesting to see how these new packages are presented. Personally I would favour a 12" gatefold sleeve that can be pulled out from a tape box design (I don’t like lift off lid boxes) together with a decent booklet inside that is crammed full of recording data, although I realise this may push the price up and reduce sales potential. But if some fans are prepared to pay £70 plus £10 postage for a heavy duty 400 page book, I’d be happy to pay £39.99 for 3 CDs of complete sessions with a nice 48 page hard back book. Am I dreaming - probably.

MaestroDavros likes this.
  3. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

4. When In Rome

I've noticed on the Complete Masters version of that album that when what would've been the end of side 1 and the beginning of side 2 are seamlessly merged together there's a slight bit of flanging in the crowd noise that is not apparent on the RCA album Collection Box Set thingy. Honest.

5. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I am sure that upstairs in one of my Elvis boot cd boxes are 3 cds devoted to Paradise Hawaiian Style so I guess there are plenty of alternate takes for this album. I have the FTD and of course the album is in the box set and movie soundtrack cd box. Also on a Double Features cd ( I liked that series and have kept all mine) but that version might be a remix. It is a poor soundtrack though (the musicians are great and Elvis is fine but gosh those songs) and I have not seen the movie itself for many years.

6. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks along with a friend I am starting to get some (official) Elvis high resolution downloads.
    From UK I can only really use HDTracks UK. No Paradise Hawaiian Style yet!

7. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Some of the discs in the Album Collection were new transfers. The Memphis show is probably one of them and another one is King Creole which imo is the best sounding version of that album.

8. Great Music Lover

Great Music Lover Well-Known Member

There aren’t that many outtakes to the PHS Session as Elvis recorded to backing tracks. I dont think any song went beyond nine takes (majority 3 or 4 apart from Sand Castles (10) which as far as I know was cut from the movie and that amazing song Datin' which took 14 takes. Somehow, I cannot see them doing an expanded release for this session unless you want to hear the backing tracks being recorded.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  9. When In Rome

I don't want to hear any of it particularly. I can just about stomach the album even though I do like 'Sand Castles'. Think I'm getting to saturation point with many of the out-takes, this became apparent with the recent FTD of 'Kissin' Cousins' which I found hard work. More and more I'm returning to the original masters. The album collection helped this turn about for me. Though some FTD's are still the go-to's for me for one reason or another (Gold Records 2/A Date with Elvis) mainly because of the masters used. I'm finding so much other music to enjoy instead of countless inferior versions of inferior songs to begin with.
    I guess the fun has gone a bit for me... :hide:

10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

For that most part, that is true, although "The Last Movies" was pretty well done considering the lack of session reels available. Unfortunately, most of what survives in the FTD archives is mediocre because it is mostly leftover scraps from the session reels and soundboards from 1974-1977.

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Agreed. It trounces the FTD mastering, which is a little loud and I noticed that some noises like foot tapping (in Dixieland Rock IIRC) were removed, which was not the case for the Album box.

That said the Thorne Nogar Live Mono Mixes sound incredible.

Pelvis Ressley likes this.
  12. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I think, on average, the length we got on the FTDs was good. Naturally, I wish albums like King Creole and Elvis had more outtakes -- heck, I wish Creole had two separate 2-disc releases like GI Blues!! But of course, there was little to release. So sad that some of Elvis' best studio work is gone.

For the lesser soundtracks and Paradise, Hawaiian Style in particular I would love a second disc if more outtakes existed and if Elvis had recorded with the band live. A second disc would always be welcome if there were mono/stereo mixes to release.

13. Pants Party

I thought the mastering of the King Creole FTD was simply stunning. Best I've ever heard. I haven't heard this "album box version" though. This is the first I've heard of its superiority.

14. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

It looks like a different source was used for the Album Collection. It sounds like a cleaner transfer to me. It's also available in hi-res from HDTracks.

MaestroDavros likes this.
  15. MaestroDavros

I should clarify that the Album Box mastering still uses the mixes RCA made from the Binaural tapes (with all their inherent flaws) for the original album, and not the Thorne Nogar mixes. So the quality upgrade isn't because they used the latter mixes instead of the former.

16. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Yes, they are not the Nogar mixes. The sources for the ftd and the Album Collection are more dynamic than the LP master. The LP master was used for the AF SACD and it's a good, if one wants to hear how the released lp sounded.

17. When In Rome

Call me old fashioned but I grew up with the binaural tape 'King Creole' mixes (the originals, you might say ;)) and I just prefer them. When the Thorne Nogar mixes became the norm from 1992 onwards (well, till 2010?) I was rather miffed. However, the 'King Creole' FTD really is the best of both worlds. Heck, I even like the demo disc!

18. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

If only we had the binaural tapes (and those for the Christmas Album sessions). I suppose Bones couldn’t save them all, if they still existed at the time. I’m still thankful to have what we have.

hodgo, MaestroDavros and When In Rome like this.
  19. MaestroDavros

The demos are a lot of fun. I honestly think that Jimmy Breedlove (who performed most of the King Creole demoes) had a great voice, and deserved a more successful music career than he inevitably had.

When In Rome likes this.
  20. Pants Party

I played the entire FTD of King Creole yesterday. Loved every second of it! I agree, the demos on disc 2 are really good -- many of which could pass for legitimate releases/singles on their own. This is a first-rate example of FTD making what should/could have been a non-essential FTD (given the lack of session tapes/studio extras) -- into a pretty essential addition to their catalog.

Clanceman, MaestroDavros and hodgo like this.
  21. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

I have the FTD "Elvis" album from 1956, but it doesn't include "Love Me Tender" like the 1999 CD release. I have the FTD "Love Me Tender" though, and i'll rip it to include this track in the 1956 album. My question: did Elvis only recorded 4 tracks on the "Love Me Tender" sessions? And in which album should i include the other 3 tracks from the movie EP? I like to listen to Elvis' full albums with its singles and outtakes added to it, but the movie EP is too short to listen to alone, so that's why i want to add its tracks to other albums. It makes sense to me to include "Love Me Tender" in the 1956 album, since the song was also released as a single with "Any Way You Want Me", but i don't know about the other 3.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  22. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Elvis only recorded four songs for Love Me Tender.

Love Me Tender first appeared on the LP Elvis' Golden Records
    Poor Boy appeared on For LP Fans Only
    We're Gonna Move appeared on A Date With Elvis
    Let Me appeared on The Other Sides - Worldwide Gold Award Hits Vol. 2 from 1971. It was released on the U.K. version of A Date With Elvis from 1959.

Flaming Torch and Hatchet Jack like this.
  23. Hatchet Jack

Thank you for the reply, but technically, these albums are compilations of recordings from the "main albums" sessions, so i don't care for them very much, since i already have these songs in the main albums. I like to listen to the main albums complete sessions, but without the extra takes, false starts, etc. So i just keep the songs recorded during its sessions, or i can also keep some songs that were only released as a single from an particular album, even though it was not recorded during this album sessions.

Maybe i should add the other 3 songs from "Love Me Tender" to the 1956 album anyway, considering they're from the same period...

24. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Right, if you're doing that. "Love Me Tender" and the three other songs were released as an EP, which was the standalone "movie album" for that first movie. (FTD finally did a padded version) So put the songs in the same running order:
    Elvis Presley - Love Me Tender

Flaming Torch and Hatchet Jack like this.
  25. Hatchet Jack

Asked this question in another thread but didn't get an answer. Should've asked here anyway:

Which FTD release includes the "From Elvis in Memphis" singles, B-sides and bonus tracks available in the Legacy Edition and other anthologies? Cause the FTD release of this album only comes with the 12 standard tracks, and the "Back in Memphis" by FTD only includes its 10 standard tracks plus "Suspicious Minds". And is this "Suspicious Minds" version the classic one, or it's a different version?

Cheers.