Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Made in Memphis comes across as a hodgepodge of additional outtakes from his '69, '73, and '76 sessions. I've always thought that it loses a bit of cohesiveness because of this since those three sets of sessions are pretty different in nature and content. The main selling point for me was the home recordings from late '73 that close out the disc.

Hatchet Jack likes this.
  2. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

His Latest Flame and Little Sister were recorded in June 1961 and Good Luck Charm and Anything That's Part Of Me were recorded in October 1961. More here: Recording Sessions 1960-62

The remix is the most common one. I think it's the same mix that has been used since the 90s but the channels have been reversed on the older discs. I think the same remix was used for the 2007 remastering project, but it mirrors the original mix only a lot drier. This will give you an idea of how the remix sounds even though the sounds is not very good.

The original mix is also available on The Album Collection.
    The remix is available on the Wild In The Country FTD and many other discs.

Hatchet Jack likes this.
  3. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  4. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

I want 'Worldwide 50 Gold Award Hits' and 'The Other Sides' on CD in their original mono format with 'Heartbreak Hotel' and others sounding like they used to just for once, compressed for radio or whatever. The CD versions of these two were poor in comparison. C'mon FTD, release that!

artfromtex likes this.
  5. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

How did the CD versions of these songs differ from their original format? I've only heard the FTD's versions and the "Complete Masters" box set ones. And does a song like "First in Line" from "Elvis (1956)" always sounded that bad and distant?

6. Hatchet Jack

For the "Elvis's Christmas Album", the FTD is the best release? I have it in the "Complete Masters", but i'm trying to get all of the FTD releases of my favorite Elvis' albums. This review, for example (‘Elvis’ Christmas Album’- FTD Classic Album CD. EIN review ), says it doesn't include all the songs from the "White Christmas" album, but i don't understand the complaint. Wasn't this album a compilation with lots of Elvis' christmas songs from different periods and sessions, even containing something from the '69 Memphis ones?

7. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Those two albums I mentioned were originally released utilising the mono mixes where applicable, the CD's used stereo mixes and jogged up the track sequencing; I'm just being fanatical really!
    The FTD's and Complete Masters box do indeed sound absolutely great though 'First in Line' has always sounded like Elvis was recorded at the bottom of a deep well, perhaps it was recorded that way for 'effect'?

Hatchet Jack likes this.
  8. Hatchet Jack

I guess the reviwer is talking that he wanted all the "White Christmas" takes, which the FTD doesn't include. This is my bad school English playing tricks on me...

9. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

No outtakes of the christmas songs from the 50s exist. Some studio chat and the count in for the master take of White Christmas was released in the 80's and that is missing on the FTD.

Hatchet Jack likes this.
  10. Hatchet Jack

Sorry guys, but i have another Elvis question: which FTD release has "Mystery Train" on it? Did he recorded many other songs during this sessions?

11. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Hatchet Jack likes this.
  12. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

If you just want the masters of those Sun sessions, get "Elvis At Sun". Excellent sound. Still available on Amazon for less than $10.

Hatchet Jack and When In Rome like this.
  13. Hatchet Jack

Are the '87 CDs of "The Sun Sessions" well regarded aroung here? How do they match with the FTD and Complete Masters box sound? Just curious, since i find the vocals on the Complete Masters a little loud...

14. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The new remasters are much better. Elvis At Sun is not loud at all.

hodgo and MaestroDavros like this.
  15. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

Elvis At Sun mastered by Kevan Budd, is the best the master takes have ever sounded on CD.

mikrt17, Shawn and johnny q like this.
  16. Hatchet Jack

Does the 2017 "A Boy from Tupelo" differs in any way from the FTD 2012 one?

17. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The 2012 version has an interview. The 2017 version has an additional live track - which was found after the completion of the original ftd - and omits the interview.

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

FTD have now announced their Q2 release slate. Just a solitary release this time. IT'S...

[​IMG]
    Elvis: Omaha, Nebraska '74 (2-CD)

This set will contain both shows from June 30, 1974 held at the (now defunct) Omaha Civic Auditorium. Both shows are previously unreleased in soundboard quality, with the evening show seeing it's first release in any form.

Here's the tracklisting per ElvisShopLondon:

Disc 1: June 30, 1974 Afternoon show

01 See See Rider 4:09
    02 I Got A Woman/Amen 4:15
    03 Love Me 2:28
    04 Trying To Get To You 2:03
    05 All Shook Up 1:18
    06 Love Me Tender 1:41
    07 Hound Dog 1:17
    08 Fever 3:07
    09 Polk Salad Annie 4:17
    10 Why Me Lord 2:41
    11 Suspicious Minds 3:44
    12 Introductions 1:35
    13 I Can’t Stop Loving You 2:29
    14 Help Me 2:41
    15 American Trilogy 3:51
    16 Let Me Be There 4:26
    17 Funny How Time Slips Away 3:57
    18 Big Boss Man 2:44
    19 Steamroller Blues 3:05
    20 Can’t Help Falling In Love 1:52
    21 Closing Vamp 1:52

Disc 2: June 30, 1974 Evening show

01 See See Rider 4:03
    02 I Got A Woman/Amen 4:21
    03 Love Me 2:01
    04 Trying To Get To You 2:02
    05 All Shook Up 2:01
    06 Love Me Tender 1:43
    07 How Great Thou Art 2:52
    08 Hound Dog 1:13
    09 Fever 3:08
    10 Polk Salad Annie 4:13
    11 Why Me Lord 3:08
    12 Suspicious Minds 3:52
    13 Introductions 3:16
    14 I Can’t Stop Loving You 2:46
    15 Help Me 2:46
    16 Bridge Over Troubled Water 4:05
    17 Let Me Be There 4:05
    18 Happy Birthday 0:26
    19 Funny How Time Slips Away 3:39
    20 Big Boss Man 2:40
    21 My Way 0:30
    22 Steamroller Blues (incomplete) 2:16

My thoughts? Essentially another run of the mill FTD release these days. The potentially improved sound and the first ever release of the Evening show might make some collectors happy, but otherwise it's nothing truly special.

Release date is targeted for April 23, 2018.

19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Booooorrrrrr-ring.

:tiphat:

20. More JD dive-bombing. Hooray.

21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

This is going to be an ongoing trend. FTD has hundreds of soundboard releases from the 1974-1977 time period, and aside from a few soundboard surprises from 1971, 1972, and 1973, the vast majority of future soundboard releases are going to consist of the same boring shows from the 1974-1977 era. That is not to say there will not a few intriguing live releases in the future, such as another 1969 multitrack live show or a compilation of the the remaining February 1970 and 1972 live multitracks, but as far as soundboard releases are concerned, they are going to continue to be largely underwhelming.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

What are you guys wishing for FTD to come out with next?

Not being contrary, just want to know what would a few biggies or worthy releases that they havent done?

MaestroDavros likes this.
  23. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Obviously finish the remaining "classic albums". Normally these soundboards are accompanied by a 7" so this apparent standalone release is a departure.

24. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Me personally? I have a few ideas:

1. Priority #1 should be to finish the Classic Albums. As I discount the Camden's from counting here only 3 are left. "For LP Fans Only" is all but assured, "Aloha From Hawaii" could feature the main show remixed and the post show session could be presented as well. The only real outlier is "Madison Square Garden", and I don't know what they could do with this one. "Elvis In Concert" is unlikely to happen.
    2. "Complete" sets. The list here is vast. Complete sessions, complete rehearsals, complete home recordings and even complete mono mixes. There has been clamoring for a release of most of these subjects in some complete form, so FTD are doing little by sitting on them.
    3. Focusing on 1969-1973 live material. Obviously few soundboards/multitracks from this period survive, but FTD with their resources could for instance acquire superior audience recordings from fans who may have otherwise been reluctant to allow bootleg labels access to them. The 1974-1977 period is over-documented, over-saturated and by this point boring to myself and others I'm sure. There is far more of value to the early days of the comeback. We know how he died, let's look at how he lived in his prime.

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

"MSG" will happen, but other than a fresh remix, it will likely make little impact after the Legacy Edition remaster, the deluxe "PFAP" box set, and FTD book project. "For LP Fans Only" and "Aloha" could be interesting, particularly if complete post Aloha broadcast show session is issued. I do think Ernst will reissue "Elvis In Concert" via FTD at some point. My understanding is that the "EIC" tapes have been remixed and remastered, but there is a directive from Sony that the material not be released via FTD until further notice -- frankly, I was surprised years ago when FTD was relatively new and before the classic album series was established that the complete Rapid City concert was not released, considering it may be the best concert from 1977.

I am not convinced FTD is going to do a ton of "complete sets." That said, if the first few releases do well (assuming more than "Viva Las Vegas" is expanded to 3 discs), and they likely will if attractively priced, the "complete" session concept could cover a lot of ground. Still, I suspect this concept will be exclusive to a few key sessions and albums.

FTD definitely has soundboard recordings from 1971, 1972 and 1973. There is not much from 1971 and 1973, but there is definitely one viable release from 1971 and a couple from 1973 that could realistically surface. I would like to see the remaining 1969 multitracked live shows receive a release, as well as another collection from the February 1970 live mulitracks and February 1972 live multitracks. And then there are the July 1970 rehearsals; FTD should release some complete rehearsals. The "Elvis On Tour" tapes are another matter altogether.