Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Summer ‘74 shows are so erratic that they are occasionally worthwhile.

MRamble likes this.
  2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

They are a clear step down from the March tour.

3. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Sadly - then the coke kicked in and made that Vegas late summer booking a real strange kick -

4. PacificOceanBlue

Yes, the August/September Las Vegas engagement was quite the spectacle with Elvis publicly going off the rails. Still, it was more interesting musically than the summer tour.

5. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

Viva Las Vegas upgrade on two or three discs

Elvis on Tour.

After that unless any missing tapes from the 50's are discovered, I'm done!

When In Rome and BlueSpeedway like this.
  6. A logical presentation of the complete ‘69 studio sessions would be welcome. After that, complete non-soundtrack studio sessions from 1970 and 1960-1962. I could go on but those would be personal highlights.

RSteven likes this.
  7. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I'd like a 1969 multi-track of a complete show that includes "Johnny B Goode" in the setlist.

hodgo likes this.
  8. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

8/24/69 DS and MS.

RSteven, hodgo and JAuz like this.
  9. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Like others, I'm most interested in completing the Classic Album series. It's just a formality now -- I have all the music, some of it several times over -- but one final pass, with sweet mastering and adding in any backing tracks, session highlights, mono/stereo, outtakes, surprises, etc. -- and all packed up in a big gorgeous, glossy 7 inch jacket -- is what I'm talking about. I have them all and I love 'em. I never had very many of the original albums prior to (usually collections, boxsets, etc) -- so it's awesome to be able to see all the original albums in a row on my shelf and relive the whole timeline.

After that... choice soundboards. If money were no object, I'd get them all as they come -- but since money is a big object and these aren't cheap -- it's just the must-haves for me going forward.

I would also entertain upgrades to some of the Classic Albums -- namely the soundtracks that have weaker mastering and could use mono/stereo second discs or whatever. I'd do those.

10. PacificOceanBlue

Viva Las Vegas is going to receive an expanded upgrade, but it is difficult to imagine too many other mid-1960's era soundtracks receiving a reissue. As far as soundtracks are concerned, Blue Hawaii is a candidate, not because of sound issues from the previous release, but because it is considered one of Elvis' best soundtracks, and it could be a candidate for an expansive reissue a la Viva Las Vegas.

11. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Is that the aforementioned "complete sessions" campaign you're referring to? Or are they considering a Classic Album Part 2 -- like GI Blues and Jailhouse Rock got? I like the Classic Albums, and I'm not 100% sure I need complete sessions -- though I'd certainly consider it.

12. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

The only thing I want is "Ultimate Harum Scarum" boxed set with fresh remix, mono, stereo, complete studio sessions and goodie bag filled with...."golden coins"....

Flaming Torch and Pants Party like this.
  13. I can't see them doing complete session sets for a number of the movies either (although personally I'd welcome them as I'm a sucker for this material). But it would be nice if FTD did an 'odds and ends' set(s) with all of the remaining unreleased material outside of what will be released on 'complete session' sets.

Pants Party likes this.
  14. PacificOceanBlue

VLV is going to receive a 3 CD reissue. It is unclear if it will contain "complete sessions," but it will reissue the content from the original FTD release and expand it.

As far as the "complete session" concept is concerned, it was only presented as an idea FTD was considering. If it does happen, I suspect it will only apply to select sessions and/or albums. At this point, it is not something I am in favor of.

Pants Party and sixtiesstereo like this.
  15. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

The "Live in MemphiM" Legacy Edition is selling at retail for $14.99.

16. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

Yes. But it doesn’t contain the original mix.

artfromtex likes this.
  17. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I'm looking forward to the 3 CD set of VLV (the original FTD was only one disc...go figure). As far as
    any complete sessions releases, it would be great, but for those of us who have been collecting studio
    session bootlegs for the past 25 years, there's a lot out there that, if included, would make for a huge amount
    of outtakes being released that haven't ever been on RCA. Even though the sound upgrade from the bootlegs
    would be terrific, I don't know how well they would sell. As an example, I've got 11 takes of "Echoes Of Love"
    on one bootleg CD, and "I" rarely listen to them. Would the general public? Probably not.....

MarkusGermany likes this.
  18. PacificOceanBlue

I suspect "complete sessions" releases would be mostly earmarked for major sessions and albums such as "Elvis Is Back!," which would ultimately result in a significant amount of recycled/previously released material being issued. I am not crazy about the idea in general, especially at this point when considerable material has been issued from many sessions/albums, but some Elvis fans will buy the same thing over and over, so there may be a market for it.

When In Rome likes this.
  19. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Give us Elvis On Tour!

20. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

What I would wish for would be a complete '60s Elvis mono box. All of the dedicated mono mixes in one purchase.

I can dream, can't I?

21. PacificOceanBlue

I was a bit surprised that a dedicated mono set was not released at some point during the past several years when there was a big resurgence and interest in mono.

22. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Hmmmmn... Now I really don't know if you absolutely mean that or you're just being controversial... :shh:

23. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Elvis On Tour
    Finish the Classic Albums
    50 Worldwide Hits, (mono greatness!)
    The CBS special shows perhaps?
    A great new remix for Aloha

After that, I'm good. Not much left but I can't complain, Elvis fans have been spoiled.

Pants Party, artfromtex and WolfSpear like this.
  24. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Yes, please.

I would buy that in a heartbeat.

25. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

I already have 8 FTD concerts from 1974. Do I NEED this one?!!! Thinking, thinking...