Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

Cool thanks! Collectors Gold looks like a nice 3 CD set to add to my collection.

2. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

I haven't got the On Stage Season FTD, and I probably won't bother with the Legacy release. I do have the On Stage FTD. You need it. It is awesome.

I was playing it today for the first time in a while.

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

HELP !!! please...

My Elvis Is Back FTD arrived today, and I've got a strange problem. Both discs are loose on their hubs, to the point of falling off. Putting them both in separate jewel cases is the only solution I can think of. It's a shame, since after 19 days, it arrived from Now Dig This, packed bombproof, with absolutely no damage whatsoever, and I immediately put the jacket into a protective FTD sleeve.

4. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

You can get replacement hubs at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Con...e=UTF8&qid=1527791340&sr=8-1&keywords=cd+hubs

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. Myke

6. Myke

Why does A Mess Of Blues come out Mellablues ???

Pelvis Ressley likes this.
  7. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Collectors Gold is a nice set and I have kept mine and the 3 cds are on the shelf just before the 5 inch FTD stuff. I have no idea how much material on the set is still unique but to my ears it was/is a good sounding set. Well worth getting just as a fan thing.

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. Dave Hoos

I have a question that is FTD related. My next group of FTD purchases will definitely include The Wonder Of You, and I wanted to get another show from the August 1970 season without buying the big That's The Way It Is box. Now as I already have the excellent Legacy edition, I've managed to track down a copy of the 3CD 2000 release, as that has a different concert included. I'm just wondering, have I made the right call? I'm assuming the sound and performance of that particular concert is a good one?

I love that era.

9. Myke

I have the Japanese release, and in my opinion, yes, you've made a good choice. Elvis Presley - "That's The Way It Is" Special Edition

Dave Hoos likes this.
  10. Dave Hoos

11. Myke

Bought mine in our classifieds section years ago. Enjoy !

I see I also have the 2 disc Legacy edition, and the original album in the BIG box.
    Great period for Elvis I agree.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  12. Dave Hoos

Yeah, anything from that 1969-70 period is my favourite Elvis era. I still need a few FTD titles from this period as well.

13. Myke

Hep Alien, RSteven and Dave Hoos like this.
  14. Dave Hoos

I've got those three. Just magnificent. The other FTD's I have are In Person, On Stage and Elvis Is Back. The next lot I'm planning on getting will - most likely - be Something For Everybody, The Wonder Of You, On Stage Season and Loving You.

Many thanks for the Discogs link. I was going to get it through someone else, but this may save me a few dollars.

hodgo, mgb70 and Myke like this.
  15. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

The Wonder of You is a great FTD (perhaps one of the best) from the dinner show on 13th August 1970. It is in the big box but I have never compared them so I do not know if sound wise they are different - anyone else help? The big box of the August 1970 stuff is great and well worth investing in.
    From February 1970 Polk Salad Annie is a great disc.

Dave Hoos, RSteven and hodgo like this.
  16. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

The mixing by Vic Anesini on "The Wonder Of You" contains the best mix of any officially released TTWII show, it also surpasses anything contained within the big box, in fact it's just perfect, it also helps that Vic hasn't completely taken Charlie Hodge out of the mix as is the case on the big set.

Hep Alien, ClausH, Dave Hoos and 4 others like this.
  17. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

To me, there are three trilogies among the classic album FTD series. @MYKE mentioned the best one that covers the American '69 sessions. In addition there are 3 titles that cover the Nashville '70 session (TTWII, Elvis Country, and Love Letters). Lastly, a trilogy of Elvis' post army Studio B work (Elvis Is Back!, Something For Everybody, and Pot Luck).

Love Letters and Pot Luck don't get a lot of love here, but I think
    they each have their charms. Especially Pot Luck. Elvis' voice was perfect in those immediate post army years. The material is not as strong as Elvis Is Back!, but Elvis' voice and that magical Studio B sound make FTD's Pot Luck audiophile ear candy.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  18. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Whoa, what happened to the prices on this? I picked this up 3-CD set used for $15 a year or two ago on Amazon. Now I see the price is over $60! Now I feel lucky. But why such a drastic change in price?

The concert is indeed fantastic, and probably my favorite non-1969 show. That version of "You've Lost The Loving Feeling" (with Elvis and the band kicking back into the song) is up there with the best things that he's ever recorded.

19. artfromtex

That is the epitome of "cool".

I love that section of the show where he is doing the 50's numbers and actually having fun with them instead of the whole self-parody bit. Especially "One Night". Man, I would love a 4K blu ray of this show.

Dave Hoos and RSteven like this.
  20. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

What does FTD mean in this thread? To me that just means flower delivery.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  21. artfromtex

snowman872 likes this.
  22. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

artfromtex likes this.
  23. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Vic Anesini's remixing and remastering of "The Wonder Of You" maybe the best live concert recording of any artist I have ever heard. I mean the horns pop out splendidly as does the whole band and orchestra. No instruments are buried in the mix, from Glen Hardin's great piano to James Burton and even John Wilkinson's great guitar work. Elvis's vocals are outstanding, and yes, you can hear Charlie Hodge's great harmony work with the King. While I think that the remastering on the big box set is very good, after all it was remastered by Vic as well, it cannot stand up to the remixing Vic did on "The Wonder Of You" FTD for that one concert.

24. artfromtex

I would love to hear Aloha From Hawaii remixed and mastered by Vic Anesini. I wished they would have let him do the Prince From Another Planet project. I like the mix, but they mastered it way too loud.

25. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

Vic's mastering on the big TTWII box is indeed excellent, however, as good as it is, the problem with that set is the mixing which they should have allowed Vic to do as well.

vivresavie, Dave Hoos and RSteven like this.