Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Would've been nice on the deluxe dvd set.

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I suppose there could be another Aloha box set to celebrate an anniversary at some point. Certain pinnacle events/projects seem to always be ripe for additional celebratory packages, but as far as FTD is concerned, no one should expect more than an audio reissue. With the Legacy Edition offering the original mix of the original album and remix of the rehearsal show, at the very least, I suspect FTD may offer a fresh remix of the broadcast show along with the complete post-concert session.

Mark87 and artfromtex like this.
  3. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

No, not all of them have been released officially on cd.

4. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

There's been some talk around here of wanting an Elvis mono mix collection, which is all the rage these days. I feel like a lot of them were fold-downs, no?

And were the Hits of the 70s mono mixes unique to mono mixes?

5. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Most of the singles from 68-71 are definitely dedicated mono mixes.

6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Its probably repetitively annoying to you by now, but can you please list the dedicated ones?

Hep Alien and artfromtex like this.
  7. ClausH likes this.
  8. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Can't remember all of them but one of them is A Little Less Conversion. A stereo mix of the single version wasn't relesed until the mid 90s.

Hep Alien and mpayan like this.
  9. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

10. Add these to the mono single list:

The Sound of Your Cry
    It's Only Love
    Only Believe
    Life
    I'm Leavin'
    Heart of Rome

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I have seen a mono promo for "Promised Land" as well. I believe there is also a mono mix of "I Really Don't Want To Know".

Hep Alien, Myke and MaestroDavros like this.
  12. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Yes don't forget the mono promo singles as well, many of these received dedicated mixes. Some were both songs in mono and some with one song in both mono and stereo mixes.

The last of them was the Bringing It Back/Pieces Of My Life single. The last few singles were released in stereo only.

13. artfromtex

Man, I want ALL of that stuff.

14. Mono promo singles were issued for all Elvis 45's through Bringing It Back/Pieces of My Life. Which of those are dedicated vs. folds I don't know (although we know some).

15. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

Best sounding 70"s mono song i heard was a white label promo of BURNING LOVE.

What i heard that day has never come close to what i heard on that MONO 45.

16. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

2 cases I know of: Promised Land is definitely dedicated. The giveaway is that the promo mix has the synth buried. It's a lot more prominent in a fold. Merry Christmas Baby is 100% a fold of the stereo single edit because of the guitar overdub, which was applied during mixdown of the stereo album mix.

Hep Alien and Shawn like this.
  17. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks for all the posts re mono singles and promo singles. Definitely seems like an FTD type project.
    Re FTD and On Tour I just looked at the list of FTD concerts from this site.

ElvisPresleyFTD.com Follow That Dream (FTD) | Release Lists

American Trilogy for the Feb 72 Vegas season then nothing until the summer 72.
    Only 3 cds from 1973.

18. artfromtex

The On Tour stuff is the holy grail for me. I grew up watching Elvis On Tour all the time. To me, 1972 Elvis is the person I think of first whenever I think of "Elvis". I love the set list and those arrangements, especially "Polk Salad Annie". I love his vocals. I even love the 1972 jumpsuits the best. It drives me crazy that they continue to sit on this treasure trove of audio and video.

I have grown to love the TTWII era as well. At least we got the audio of those shows.

19. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

The On Tour film, Aloha (album and video) and the TTWII album were huge deals to me as well. I watched On Tour a lot and liked that the best. There's something about the shear power of the band and the range and forcefulness of his vocals at this time, with that slight outlaw edge and swagger that only exists during this period. It's just bad@ss.

"Rainy night in Georgia...."

[​IMG]

20. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I listened to the new Off-On Stage FTD yesterday. It really is a somewhat disappointing release because of its length and, frankly, a lot of the performances. Almost every performance on this CD is bettered on earlier FTD releases of the February '70 material. They're not bad performances per se (it is early-'70 Elvis, after all), but Off-On Stage really does come across as a barrel-scraping stop-gap release. I don't really like the title of the album very much, either.

21. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

I would strongly advise you to seek out the "import" On Tour multi disc CD box set released earlier this year. Fortunately not everybody's sitting on it.

artfromtex likes this.
  22. Mark87

Mark87 Forum Resident

Any more details? ;)

23. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

24. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

The March 2018 edition of Elvis The Man The Music has a review of the big On Tour boot and it has few mentions in this thread. There are quite a few other On Tour boots as well.
    Keith Flynns excellent Elvis site is great for giving details of shows/performances and studio outtakes with what official and in some cases unofficial Elvis releases they are on. His site is excellent for sorting out all the great performances and outtakes we have on FTD releases.

Keith Flynn's Elvis Presley Pages

25. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

I would love an SACD of the 8 Quad mixes from FTD, but if we could only get Today and Promised Land released that way, I'd be happy. I know that will be a cold day in hell, but.......

1. From Elvis in Memphis
    2. On stage, February 1970
    3. That's the way it is
    4. Elvis as recorded at Madison Square Garden
    5. Aloha from Hawaii via satellite
    6. Elvis recorded live on stage in Memphis
    7. Today
    8. Promised Land

artfromtex, PhantomStranger and Shawn like this.