Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Is that the one with Petunia, The Gardener's Daughter on it? ;)

2. Mark87

Mark87 Forum Resident

Great! I've got that song stuck in my head now :laugh:

3. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Anyone know a date for release of the vinyl Jailhouse Rock and the cd What Now My Love? I believe it is late September 2018 but not sure now where I read that. Chez Flaming Torch is now nearly up to speed on FTD 7 inch releases and 5 inch release with only Hits of the 70s to go.
    I played both Murfreesboro shows yesterday and I agree they seemed pretty good. Onto Omaha which seems to have a very very brief fault/cut out in sound on Tryin' To Get To You from the afternoon show. Anyone else have this and why did not fate put it in the dive bombing bass singing (which fortunately was only done once at the end of Amen).

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I actually liked that song :)

5. Flaming Torch

Good grief JD does the dive bombing at the end of Ain't It Funny How Times Slips Away after Elvis re does the end of the song (Omaha afternoon). I shall now go and put the washing on the line and have a cup of T to recover.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  6. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

As far as Elvis Country goes, a 3-disc version could include the album tracks in their original mixes without the cross-fades, if they exist. Also, I'm not sure if the tapes are missing, but if they still exist, I'd love to hear the remaining takes of Tomorrow Never Comes and I Really Don't Want To Know.

Actually, a "Complete Nashville Marathon" set (complete with undubbed masters, mono mixes, etc.) would make for a fantastic release, although I'm sure it would far exceed three CDs.

7. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

This would be a prime candidate for release. ALL of the outtakes on the 3 1970 FTD's suffer from poor mixing, weird EQ choices, and horrific overdone digital reverb. Let Vic and/or Sebastian work their magic on these tapes and remix them with better balances, all instrumentation intact (some of the remixes left out some instrumentation, most notably "Little Cabin Home on the Hill"), and maybe just a very light touch of more natural-sounding reverb for ambience. Then I would buy this material all over again, although you would need at least 6-8 discs to capture everything. This (to me) is the last period of prime Elvis.

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

A 6-8 disc FTD release of the Nashville 1970 recordings is never going to happen.

Pelvis Ressley likes this.
  9. Flaming Torch

That is a shame although quite understandable. There are for me 3 sets of Elvis recordings that are 1. great (so are a lot of his other recordings) 2. a bit confusing and spread over many releases both official and bootleg.
    They are The 68 Comeback Special, American Sound 1969 and all the studio and rehearsal stuff from June/July/August 1970. FTD have of course given us lots of great sounding and well packaged releases based on these 3 periods and their are some great release by Sony Legacy. I know I can't blame Sony/FTD for the bootlegs!

RSteven and CBackley like this.
  10. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

What do you think the chances are @PacificOceanBlue that Sony Legacy might take on a large box set of Elvis Nashville 1970 recordings in one cohesive package with outtakes?

11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

So are they done with the Classic Album series? 'cause I'm still over here waiting for a "LP Fans Only" and "Having Fun With Elvis On Stage", dammit.

Brian Mc likes this.
  12. PacificOceanBlue

Very minimal. I do not think a comprehensive 6-8 CD set would be a viable mainstream, commercial collection. While some fans certainly have argued some of Elvis' finest work from the 1970's is sourced from the 1970 Nashville sessions, Sony Legacy has already released a Legacy Edition of "Elvis Country" that is coupled with "Love Letters," and has released an expansive "That's The Way It Is" box set (albeit, with little studio bonus content). The best of 1970 is arguably well documented on the main label. Had "Elvis Country" been issued later in the Legacy Edition series (rather than one of the first Elvis titles under the banner), the second disc may very well have contained outtakes from the album's sessions rather than presenting the substandard "Love Letters" LP as a two-fer. Also, while the Nashville 1970 sessions contained some fine performances and produced in part a pair of quality albums ("Elvis Country" and "That's The Way It Is"), "Elvis Country" has arguably have never resonated with the public at large, and the Nashville sessions really did not produce any bona fide hit singles that have transcended the early 1970's. That said, in 2020, there is always the possibility Sony could do something with the sessions, but I would be surprised if it is a large-scale box set because the material simply does not justify it.

I do think there is potential for an expansive American Sound package in 2019. The sessions are generally held in higher regard and there are some major singles associated with the 1969 material that are still respected to this day that will be marketable items. Also, Sony could tie-in unreleased 1969 concert material with such a set. Granted, most of the best outtake material has been issued via FTD, but a 50th anniversary package seems to have more viability as a mainstream set.

13. PacificOceanBlue

Speaking of Nashville 1970, a couple of years ago, I suggested that an interesting idea for a mainstream Sony Legacy set could be to present a package that focuses on the 1970-1972 period, three CDs of choice masters and outtakes from Nashville 1970, Nashville 1971 and Hollywood 1972, plus one live CD from the Elvis On Tour tapes, perhaps Hampton Roads. There are certainly arguments against compiling these different sessions together, but by condensing the best of the era into one release, the general public could be presented with an artistically sound set from a largely under-represented period.

Hep Alien, laf848, Dave Hoos and 6 others like this.
  14. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Actually, I've been hearing unsubstantiated whispering about Sony doing a followup to the "Where No One Stands Alone" set with the American Sound sessions. Can't say I'm terribly keen on the idea, but honestly? Wouldn't surprise me.
    That's a pretty great idea, and would make sense for a Legacy box aimed at the mainstream. In that kind of set it's not a real problem to collect several years of sessions since the focus is on a period of time, not on a specific session.

As a Virginian myself I would love to see either the Hampton Roads or Richmond shows released at some point!

15. PacificOceanBlue

That sounds very plausible and nauseating at the same time.

16. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

They're really are dragging out these last few.

17. MaestroDavros

I can't say too much, but I was told by someone "in the know" in passing that material is being gathered for something in the Classic Album series. So it's not dead.

18. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

19. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Brian Mc likes this.
  20. mark winstanley

How long does it take to get discs from FTD usually ... I guess they are waiting on the second batch of viva los vegas discs?
    I have never ordered from them and i'm getting a little antsy lol

21. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Yikes, is The Viva Las Vegas Sessions already out-of-print?

mark winstanley likes this.
  22. PacificOceanBlue

One cannot order directly from FTD, orders are placed through Elvis dealers. If you are in the US, ShopElvis and ShopGraceland typically have the best pricing and shipping options, although they get their stock from FTD much later than the European and UK dealers.

Looks like Viva Las Vegas is out of stock with most dealers. In the US, it looks like worldwideelvis.com still has it, but it is at a premium price.

23. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I mean, 1981 was a long time ago...

[​IMG]

Hep Alien, RSteven and MaestroDavros like this.
  24. mark winstanley

Ordered from here
    Follow That Dream [FTD] : The Official Elvis Presley Collectors Label

25. MaestroDavros

Very true, and that release does serve as precedent for this kind of thing happening so, yeah.

I know that there has been a small but growing number of people saying that the American recordings are increasingly dated (I think they're mostly timeless myself, but that's just me; everyone's entitled to their own opinions) and that at least a remix would make more appreciate them.

The thing is though that if there has been anything of a pattern Legacy has shown the past 5 or more years, it's that there are at least 2 big releases per year: 1 archival release and 1 overdub release. This year was "The Searcher" and "Where No One Stands Alone" respectively. Last year was "A Boy From Tupelo" and "Christmas RPO" respectively, the year before "Way Down In The Jungle Room" and "The Wonder Of You", and so on. I predict 2019 to be no different.

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.