Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

How many did they do -- 1,000? Looks like I just made it, having got my set a few weeks ago.

However, I do remember the recent Atlanta set was reported as "discontinued" and Out-of-Stock earlier this year -- but it's back in stock and widely available. So who knows.

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is unclear how many units were produced in the initial VLV production run. FTD has been tight-lipped about its sales numbers over the years, but allegedly, sales figures are typically anywhere between 2,500 - 5,000. The label made it clear that VLV was going to be strictly limited, so who knows if FTD will generate another production run. One can assume FTD was approaching the 3CD format with caution, therefore, a limited release was announced, but considering VLV is a relatively popular film/soundtrack, it would make complete sense to do a second production run.

3. Makes sense, but it cost them my sale if the set is now OOP.

melstapler likes this.
  4. PacificOceanBlue

If a set is going to sell-out within a couple months of its release, that is a sign that there is enough demand for a larger production run. That said, one can certainly argue FTD had no idea how successful a higher-priced, 3CD set of VLV would perform at retail, so it was not worth the financial risk of overproducing it. Nevertheless, some dealers in both the US and UK/Europe still have stock if you are presently looking for a copy.

RSteven likes this.
  5. elmahranbird

elmahranbird Forum Resident

6. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

There are new Memphis Record mixes from 1987. I like them.

7. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I have, in the past, supported projects like the RPO albums. The Duets album and the Gospel album I was less thrilled about. But, his Christmas songs and Gospel songs have been promoted to the masses pretty heavily, so the public can choose the novelty of the new stuff or the historic original material.

Now...

I will find it offensive if the 50th anniversary of possibly his greatest session is celebrated with a project that does not present the music as originally recorded.

People know the singles, sure. But most people have not been exposed to the greatness of the majority of this material. Even "The Searcher" glossed over the '69 sessions.

These original recordings deserve a nice mainstream release with lots of PR. They have done it for the Jungle Room, Stax, and Sun. They need to shine a light on the American Studios stuff. I know there have been releases (Suspicious Minds, Legacy, etc), but those were released with little to no fanfare.

Release a multi disc set with all the '69 masters (at least the singles and two LP's), some outtakes, and a nod to his return to the stage in Vegas.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Shawn, Hep Alien, hodgo and 3 others like this.
  8. Pants Party

Yeah, I agree. I too had a feeling they might be floating this set as something of a trial balloon of sorts --- to test the format and fan interest.

If they're taking notes -- I think it's a great way to upgrade a few of the releases that A) only got a single disc, and B) contain more live session material, and C) need an overall (sonic) upgrade.

I still don't know how (and why) this differs from the Volume 1/volume 2 approach that GI and Jailhouse got. But, I guess, who cares.

hodgo likes this.
  9. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

On Tour Rehearsals....awesome FTD

melstapler, hodgo and The Killer like this.
  10. Pants Party

[​IMG]

I always felt like there was something of a renaissance waiting for the From Elvis in Memphis album. Where it gets its due. I don't know in what form and manner it might appear and appeal to a new young audience, looking for raw authenticity and musical sincerity.

But they will come. Oh they will come Ray.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  11. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I am in total agreement here. The American Sound recordings in Memphis are possibly the greatest recording sessions that Elvis ever had in a conservative fashion that yielded not only spectacular hit singles, but very high caliber album cuts. If this material does not deserve a dedicated multi-disc box set, than what possibly does? I think that this box set, which might include live material as well, might best be a Sony Legacy project as it could have mainstream success as well.

12. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I meant to say "In a consecutive fashion."

melstapler likes this.
  13. PacificOceanBlue

I understand the marketing philosophy behind Sony's RPO and contemporary overdubbing releases. It is gimmicky and probably limited with how long it will resonate with a faction of the public, but it is way for the label to try to inject some enthusiasm and interest into a catalogue from an artist who has been dead for over 40 years and a catalogue that contains various periods of music that may arguably sound too dated to generate broad appeal in 2018. Nevertheless, Elvis Presley is also an artist that produced some pioneering and timeless work, regardless if some of it is a product of the era in which it was created, and those recordings should be respected and preserved. Elvis' American Sound sessions were among the best recordings of his storied career -- those sessions should be celebrated for what they are, not reproduced with contemporary revisions. Sony Legacy should take the opportunity to promote the historical value and achievement of those sessions with a celebratory mainstream package or original recordings and choice outtakes, not dismiss the greatness of the American Sound sessions by presenting remakes, which essentially will send a message to the public that Elvis' original body of work simply was not good enough to remain relevant on its own.

14. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

Newbie to Elvis collecting here...Exactly what albums are considered AMERICAN SOUND RECORDINGS? I have the complete albums box set, and would like to supplement with FTD collections of those recordings as well. Thanks so much.

15. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

16. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Great post @PacificOceanBlue. I agree with every single sentiment you expressed here!

Dave Hoos likes this.
  17. I'd recommend looking at the recording sessions on Keith Flynn's (awesome) web site in addition to the albums ClausH linked to above. Start with January 13, 1969 through Feb 21, 1969 here:

Recording Sessions 1967-69

There's overdub sessions of the material past those dates but the core of the sessions with Elvis are in the date range above.

Hep Alien and Bossyman like this.
  18. Pants Party

I'm not convinced they (or anyone) knows what the marketing philosophy is behind these overdubbing/Royal Philharmonic-type releases. Other than to "sell sh!t." And I don't mean that derogatorily either. But I think it might simply be a case of "wouldn't-it-be-neat" and "well, why not?" "Throw it up against the wall and see if it sticks."

It's also a proverbial "dipping-of-the-toe" so-to-speak, into the larger (and vastly approaching) world of AI/virtual voodoo. Digital recreations, re-imaginations and Lord knows what else technology will allow. It's just the start. I mean, it could be neat. Weird. Unethical. Unnatural. All the above.

I can easily foresee the technology to "map" or whatever, the voice patterns of a performer like Elvis and then have the computer spit out entirely new music. Today, we see this as entirely creepy, for sure. But it's all data -- everything can be converted into data, which can then be reinterpreted and regenerated. DNA itself is just a data string.

Man... did I get off topic.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  19. PacificOceanBlue

Exactly. It is about sales and exposure, that is the philosophy. It does nothing for the legacy.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  20. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

There's an easy way to dip a toe before you buy three sets of FTD's, you can get this 2 CD set for a few bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Memphis-1969-Anthology-Suspicious-Minds/dp/B00000IFT8

pobbard, Hep Alien and hodgo like this.
  21. artfromtex

Amen! The 50th anniversary should be a no brainer for a nice multi disc set. Maybe include some live stuff too since it will also be the 50th anniversary of his return to live performing.

22. artfromtex

23. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

The person in question was Felton Jarvis to be precise. That was the only session date he was actively audible. He manned the "Power Of My Love" session seemingly without Chips present and he was in the studio during the "After Loving You" session.

While there has been much (that's certainly an understatement) debate over how much impact Felton had on the sessions before overdubs began, these show he had at least some input, if only in an advisory role for the most part.

JLGB, Pants Party, Hep Alien and 3 others like this.
  24. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Re the original Guitar Man album released in the early 1980s. I never owned this album and only got to know this material through the excellent FTD Too Much Monkey Business (I could have done with a short summary of what this bunch of recordings actually were at that time). Thanks to SHF, Keith Flynn's site and the Elvis Man The Music mag I now know more. I do not have the recent releases of overdubbed albums like Where No One Stands and would not buy a redone American 69 album either. Once difference to me is that the musicians on Guitar Man are so much closer to the time frame Elvis recorded in as opposed to now where a musician overdubbing might not have been alive when Elvis was recording. I guess with today's technology you can duet with Caruso, add a new backing to an old Beatles vocal track and completely redo Blonde on Blonde with a full orchestra. None of this would be for me though.
    I do understand trying to keep a singer (who is unfortunately no more) in the public eye as time moves on and more folk say who is Elvis?

Pants Party, Hep Alien and Mark87 like this.
  25. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks I will use that info to see if I can recognise Felton's voice on other recordings as well.