Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

It is mighty handsome. I now have no regrets about throwing my money at it.

C'mon, ShopElvis, get my order moving!

2. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

Yes it's a really nice package, the book contains a timeline of events leading up to the broadcast, original artist impressions of what would be the set up for the opening scene, along with pictures from the broadcast and recording sessions with the Wrecking Crew.

3. hodgo

I have to say I'm really enjoying the sessions with the Wrecking Crew that take up disc two, Elvis is in fine voice you can tell he's having fun and the sound quality is excellent.

George C. and artfromtex like this.
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Beautiful. So the majority of the material is previously unreleased, right ? All I have is the original album, and the 2004 3 DVD set.

5. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

If you don't have the Let Yourself Go FTD, then most of it will be new to you.

Myke likes this.
  6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

No, the majority of the material has been released before... only about 8 tracks on disc two are previously unreleased. But as noted by Claus above, the previously-released stuff on disc two was only on the Let Yourself Go FTD collection.

Myke likes this.
  7. Daniel Plainview

Can I sell my "Let Yourself Go" now?

8. hodgo

I've not heard "Let Yourself Go" FTD, but I believe everything on that is on disc two of this set, add to that Sebastian Jeansson's stunning mastering and this is a winner.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  9. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

"Let Yourself Go" also includes an excellent rehearsal tape, and the whole release is mastered by Kevan Budd.

Of course the rehearsal tape was re-issued by Sony in 2008 on the 4CD "Complete Comeback" set, but I prefer Kevan's work.

In fact in most like for like scenarios I prefer Kevan's touch.

Finally, "Let Yourself Go" plays as part of the FTD "compilation" series (if one is to give them a name), more like a purposefully compiled album. The FTD Classic Albums are different beasts. I prefer spinning the older compilations from an enjoyment perspective, the classic albums act more like a tape archive for me.

So I guess it depends on the listening experience one hopes for when spinning the CDs. Though I'm yet to get the NBC-TV Special FTD I have little intention of "letting go" of "Let Yourself Go."

10. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Yes, If you have the 68 Comeback special box and the new FTD.

11. Daniel Plainview

Well, as I have the complete set, this FTD set, the DVD set, Tiger Man, Burbank and Memories....I think I'd rather have the money in my pocket. ;)

12. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Maybe the "Complete Comeback" set is the one to part with.

The sit-down shows are longer on Tiger Man and Memories anyway, which to be honest don't sound at all bad for those shows, though I think Anesini's are a hair better.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Speaking of FTD's Let Yourself Go, that is sadly one title where a lot of discs were allegedly affected by glue from the packaging. Some fans have been able to clean off the surface, but some CDs were damaged beyond repair. At least the audio is once again available in its entirety, albeit on two different releases. That said, Let Yourself Go is another FTD gem.

14. Daniel Plainview

My completest days are long behind me. I think I'd rather have the shelf space. I have the "complete" set in a tidy fat boy jewel case and that's good enough for me.

15. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Why is If I Can Dream with the live vocal not included? It has only been released on the Memories set.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  16. Daniel Plainview

Come to think of it my disc did come with some sort of muck all over it. I was able to clean it off. Hmm, I'll have to review it and see how it looks and determine if it's even resellable in the first place.

17. PacificOceanBlue

I was never able to completely clean my copy. It still plays and it hasn't gotten worse, but aggravating nevertheless. Actually, a handful of FTD titles in the original 5 inch packaging experienced the appearance of muck/crystallization, allegedly due to some sort of reaction to glue. Apparently, if you turn the CD playing surface facing upward instead against the tray, that alleviates the issue.

18. PacificOceanBlue

Agreed. This newest set seemed like the perfect place to recycle that recording.

19. Myke

Thank you very much gentlemen. No, I do not have Let Yourself Go.
    So now there's this and Hot August Night when the August 16th sale gets here. Got it !
    :tiphat:

hodgo likes this.
  20. Myke

@artfromtex - and if I only get those 2, I'll need a koozie to ensure a box, right ? ( it's been nearly 3 years since an FTD buy ).

artfromtex likes this.
  21. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Yes. And they still have the Sun koozie, thankfully!

BTW, they are doing a 15% Memorial Day weekend sale right now. No code needed.

22. Myke

But the FTDs aren't included, are they ?

23. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

To all those who question the validity of releasing all the original albums in the "classic" format, the above picture says it all - an absolute gem!

hodgo, artfromtex and johnny q like this.
  24. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

That is correct. My copy was affected that way - I was able to save it.

25. Daniel Plainview

They are. I put Worlds Fair in my cart and the discount was applied.

artfromtex and Myke like this.