Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, May 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

I am on the fence about buying more of these. I recently completed everything up to 1970 that I would want on the Legacy series. I have the Memphis Sessions, Jungle Room Sessions, and So High. So High is my favorite of them. I like the looser feel of these songs better than the official released versions. Choices...

Rick H. likes this.
  3. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

Clanceman, you are a gentleman and a scholar.
    Thank you very much for your detailed help.
    I have set up the second account as you suggested and a double disc is listed as 22.93!

Sammy Banderas, hodgo and Clanceman like this.
  4. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

You're welcome, friend. Glad it helped and you were able to put that Insider discount to good use.

If you're like a lot of us with these, that Insider membership will end up being one of the most "no brainer" purchases you can make. It is sweeter with an additional discount for sure......but the FTD itch can come on at any moment! :)

Quincy, Hep Alien and hodgo like this.
  5. JimC

JimC Senior Member

I have:
    So High; Memphis, Tennessee; Pot Luck; Elvis is Back; and The Jungle Room Sessions.

Thinking about going for ...Sings Guitar Man and the two 1960s gospel sets tonight.
    People's comments on these are making these very tempting.:righton:

hodgo and Clanceman like this.
  6. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Question, do people here sign up for the paid membership at FTD, for the discounts? How many purchases does it take to recoup the cost of membership?

Thinking about pulling the trigger.

7. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Go to Elvis.com. It's only 19.99. So, 7 FTDs and you're ahead!

8. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

OK so I now have From Elvis in Memphis and the Back in Memphis FTD's...and they are worth every penny. Now my dilemma, do I go for the third in the American recordings series? Or move on to other items. I have heard both views, that the third one is absolutely essential...to it's nothing more than bottom of the barrel stuff. Any thoughts? Thanks....

9. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

If it were me, I'd get the third installment to complete the set, and then move on to the next area of focus. But, that's just me. I hate having "part" of something. I tend to focus on what I'm missing rather than just enjoying what I have. I guess I'm a bit OCD about stuff like that.

10. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Its Essential!

11. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

This ^ for me too. :agree:

RoryStorm and artfromtex like this.
  12. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

A bit off the FTD topic for a moment.

You may only care about the FTD's, but as a rock and roll music fan, I tend to buy stuff that's related: tshirts, posters, mugs, etc....

I've never been to Graceland, but I'd love to go someday. I know Myke, and I'm sure a few others here, live nearby or have been. I would imagine that the store there would have at least the same effect on me, as the local mall has on my wife and daughters. A visit to that store may cost as much as the trip getting there.

Of all the artist/band online stores, Shopelvis.com is about my favorite....right up there with hittinthenote.com and rollingstones.com. I've picked up a lot of Elvis merchandise, koozies, shirts, calendars, prints, etc, etc...

So I'd say that Insider membership is quite a deal. If I ever make it to Memphis, there's more savings to be had.....Graceland tickets and the physical store. :)

heatherly and RoryStorm like this.
  13. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

I hear what you're saying...I was looking at the contents and it does look pretty good. And it sure would make a nice 'trilogy' of what is arguably his best studio work ever. I am so glad I was turned on to the FTD stuff by you folks here....I was listening to the From Elvis In Memphis FTD over the weekend...so many great moments, but those early 'stripped down' takes of In The Ghetto get to me every time...moving stuff.

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

You're all convincing me ! ha !

hodgo likes this.
  15. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

I'm with ya...I've never been to Graceland either...and hope to one day. I can imagine I'd be like a kid in a candy store with all the Elvis merchandise and stuff ! Need to get me a cool "E" tee- shirt or hoodie one of these days ! Also, I wonder if the FTD releases are sold in any stores down there near Graceland...or are they all mail order? Inquiring minds want to know....

Clanceman and heatherly like this.
  16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Don't know which ones exactly, but yes, they are sold in stores around Graceland.

Clanceman and RoryStorm like this.
  17. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

Whoah !!! Now that would be cool as heck...to walk into a shop down there and see stuff like Elvis Sings Guitar Man, Jungle Room Sessions, and Back In Memphis on the shelves ! Man I'd go broke in 5 mins !!! Maybe I better stay away for a while ! ha...

18. Myke

So...one last time...please...if I have the 3 FTDs, I really don't need the Stax Legacy set ?

Confused again, because of this :

Album source index:
    A – from Raised On Rock/For Ol’ Times Sake LP (RCA APL1-0388, released October 1973)
    B – from Raised on Rock CD (FTD 86971 28432, released July 2007)
    C – from Good Times LP (RCA CPL1-0475, released March 1974)
    D – from Good Times CD (FTD 50602 09750 0 3, released December 2012)
    E – from Promised Land LP (RCA APL1-0873, released January 1975)
    F – from Promised Land CD (FTD 50602 09750 1 9, released December 2011)
    G – from Walk a Mile in My Shoes – The Essential ’70s Masters 5-CD box set (RCA 7863-66670-2, released October 1995)
    H – from Platinum - A Life In Music 4-CD box set (RCA 67469, released July 1997)
    I – from Rhythm and Country CD (RCA 07863-67672-2, released August 1998)
    J – from Today, Tomorrow and Forever 4-CD box set (RCA 07863-65115-2, released June 2002)

http://www.elvis.com/news/detail.aspx?id=7037

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. artfromtex

No. The only reason would be if you wanted the remixed outtakes. I happen to love them, but they are not essential.

20. Myke

Thanks Art ! I've got 2 of the 3, and a line on a sealed Good Times from a private seller, who assures me he'll pack it bomb-proof because of the damage factor we all know comes with these 7" beauties.
    $ 40.00 all in too !!!!:D After sales tax, and shipping, FTD is nearly $ 10.00 bucks higher, and they are out of stock right now.

Clanceman, Hep Alien and artfromtex like this.
  21. artfromtex

Yeah, they kill ya with the shipping and tax. And you'd think with those shipping charges they could hire something other than blind orangutans with anger issues to pack the merchandise. ;)

CBackley, Hep Alien and RoryStorm like this.
  22. Myke

:laugh: :agree:

23. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

Ha ha ! Knock on wood, the three recent FTD releases I received [Elvis Sings Guita Man, Back in Memphis, From Elvis in Memphis] were all in great shape and arrived quickly ! Whew !!

Clanceman and Hep Alien like this.
  24. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Hi... What 's the actual title of the third one in the American recording series? Is this Sings Guitar Man?

Thanks!!!

25. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.